Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > belkin wireless router = PROBLEMS!

belkin wireless router = PROBLEMS!
timmyH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 07:43 AM

I just purchased a Belkin wireless internet router and set it up with my ibook. I have an airport card installed and following the set up i got a perfect wireless reception standing next to the router. However, as soon as i left the room with the router in, i gradually lost reception, so that by the time i was standing 10ft away i had no reception at all. I have spoken to both apple and belkin about this, changed the frequencies, preferences firmware updates etc and nothing has changed. The annoying thing is, we have 2 other PC laptops with belkin wirless cards working off this router and they work fine all round the house. So why does my airport card not work?? I have checked the interent and read various stories about problems with Belkin's range etc Can anyone throw any light on this problem, or suggest a solution?

thanks TimmyH

PRinMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 09:05 AM

Well if you've already checked the settings, might be then your card, I just got my ibook with the air port extreme, and I've had a wireless belkin router still an 802.11b thinking about upgrading soon, and this is located in the basement of my house, and I still get like a 95% strength signal when I am in my bed room

timmyH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 10:23 AM

i think if it was the card, then i wouldn't get a reception period. I'm wondering if the antenna in my ibook is faulty? Anyone heard of this happening?

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by timmyH:
i think if it was the card, then i wouldn't get a reception period. I'm wondering if the antenna in my ibook is faulty? Anyone heard of this happening?
In the ibook, the antenna passes through the hinge and circles the screen. Walk away from the router, and then slowly (I mean, quite slowly), change the angle of the screen and watch your connection strength.

My iBook gets great connection strength when the screen is at a 90o angle, and also at its maximum angle. Between, not so good. I've been told by an apple repair tech that my connection problems aren't sufficiently bad to warrant a repair, which is a little frustrating. But then, my problems are no where near what you're experiencing.
Swimming upstream since 1994.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 04:23 PM

Have you tried reinstalling the card in the iBook? Sometimes either the card or the antenna needs to be firmly reseated.

timmyH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 05:00 PM

yeah i have reseated the card on numerous occasions. Rotating the computer and moving round the house slowly doesn't really improve the situation either, as soon as its out of the routers site the signal goes almost immediately to weak, then nothing. Now that i know the antenna runs through the hinge, i'm more inclined to think i have antenna problems because i have heard that the wires running through here can be damaged quite easily. Any thoughts?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 07:30 PM

Before fooling around with the hinges, you might want to see if the card's at fault. Do you have access to another wireless card? How about through a store or an Apple service center (you can check their return policy: eg, do they charge a restocking fee?)

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 07:43 PM

Go to a hotspot, and do the same you do at home. Walk away from the accespoint or router (whatever they have), if you loose signal then the problem is on your Ibook.

If the problem is your Ibook, I would try another airport card. If you get the same problem, then it has to be something with the antena. I have no idea how to check on that. Maybe if you try the test hardware cd that came with your Ibook?

g luck

Forum Links
Forum Rules