Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Berkeley!

Berkeley!
tavilach
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 09:03 PM

Does anyone here attend UC Berkeley?

I'm going there next year (undergraduate)! I'm so excited...it's so great at engineering (ranked second in the nation in undergraduate engineering...drool), and I love the atmosphere...and the people...and the weather...and the lack of elitism...and the...well...go Bears!

If there are Cal students on his board, what are your majors? Dorms?

Moreover, although I plan on buying a PowerBook (my first Mac) for college, I hear that it's hard to set up the (Linux) software that I'll need for my classes (as there are Linux titles that accomplish the same academic tasks as their Windows counterparts...I mean, there are a lot of engineering students who use Linux, and one would assume that they'd need to be able to do their homework)...

Any opinions on that?

( Last edited by tavilach; May 1, 2004 at 09:08 PM. )
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 09:18 PM

You love the atmosphere and the people?

Depending on your major a PowerBook will probably suit you fine.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
You love the atmosphere and the people?
I'm confused...

What's wrong with the atmosphere and the people?

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
I'm confused...

What's wrong with the atmosphere and the people?

Oh nothing

Probably the two things I was happiest to get away from when I graduated, but that's probably just me. Wasn't the right choice for me.

Hope you have a good time though. What are you majoring in?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 09:54 PM

Does anyone here attend UC Berkeley?

I'm going there next year (undergraduate)! I'm so excited...it's so great at engineering (ranked second in the nation in undergraduate engineering...drool), and I love the atmosphere...and the people...and the weather...and the lack of elitism...and the...well...go Bears!

If there are Cal students on his board, what are your majors? Dorms?

Moreover, although I plan on buying a PowerBook (my first Mac) for college, I hear that it's hard to set up the (Linux) software that I'll need for my classes (as there are Linux titles that accomplish the same academic tasks as their Windows counterparts...I mean, there are a lot of engineering students who use Linux, and one would assume that they'd need to be able to do their homework)...

Any opinions on that?

Nope, but I have opinions of Bezerkly.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 10:02 PM

congrats. don't get lost in the crowd! i know some cool grad students at berkeley tho...

rambo47
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 10:16 PM

I'd encourage you to get a PowerBook, but if it's Linux you'll be running then maybe a used ThinkPad would be better. Macs can run YellowDog Linux pretty well but there are so many more Linux choices for x86 than for PPC. I'm just starting to fool around with the aformentioned YDL on an old Pismo PowerBook and while it's pretty fast I'm having a devil of a time getting the wireless networking straightened out.

With used pc laptops so cheap it seems like the best way to get acquainted with Linux is on that platform. Personally I'm devoted to the Mac OS and hate to use anything else. My experiment with YellowDog Linux is just that - an experiment. I just want to see how easy or hard Linux is to learn. I have an old ThinkPad lying around somewhere and perhaps I'll try RedHat on that.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 10:31 PM

Oh nothing

Probably the two things I was happiest to get away from when I graduated, but that's probably just me. Wasn't the right choice for me.

Hope you have a good time though. What are you majoring in?
Well, I loved it when I spent the night. I immediateley befriended tons of people, and it was just a great experience...

I mean, there are always people who like a college, and then there are people who don't. That's just how it works, right?

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Nope, but I have opinions of Bezerkly.
Ah, that. Well, that's very much exaggerated...and let me tell you, the engineering world at Berkeley is very different. May that's why the engineering school is ranked second in the nation...because they don't go crazy like the other students . Naw, but overall, the liberalism is very exaggerated. They actually have a large Republican club...one of the largest at any college.

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
congrats. don't get lost in the crowd! i know some cool grad students at berkeley tho...
I'm an actor. That's the last thing I'm worried about .

Originally posted by rambo47:
I'd encourage you to get a PowerBook, but if it's Linux you'll be running then maybe a used ThinkPad would be better. Macs can run YellowDog Linux pretty well but there are so many more Linux choices for x86 than for PPC. I'm just starting to fool around with the aformentioned YDL on an old Pismo PowerBook and while it's pretty fast I'm having a devil of a time getting the wireless networking straightened out.

With used pc laptops so cheap it seems like the best way to get acquainted with Linux is on that platform. Personally I'm devoted to the Mac OS and hate to use anything else. My experiment with YellowDog Linux is just that - an experiment. I just want to see how easy or hard Linux is to learn. I have an old ThinkPad lying around somewhere and perhaps I'll try RedHat on that.
I was actually referring to running Linux applications using X11 on OS X...hehe.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 10:39 PM

Well, I loved it when I spent the night. I immediateley befriended tons of people, and it was just a great experience...

I mean, there are always people who like a college, and then there are people who don't. That's just how it works, right?
I suppose. I had trouble meeting people at Berkeley that I liked, though I met a few. I did meet a lot of people when I stayed overnight before my freshman year, but didn't really end up being friends with them. Most of my friends were not engineering students.

In contrast, I had a girlfriend at Davis and met a lot of people there that I liked.

Ah, that. Well, that's very much exaggerated...and let me tell you, the engineering world at Berkeley is very different. May that's why the engineering school is ranked second in the nation...because they don't go crazy like the other students . Naw, but overall, the liberalism is very exaggerated. They actually have a large Republican club...one of the largest at any college.
The city is very liberal, and it's annoying. Amongst the student body, politics didn't bother me as much, but some groups are definitely disruptive.

The engineering school isn't much better than most others for an undergraduate education, honestly. Great for grad school -- and most rankings are really about grad school, not undergrad.

I was actually referring to running Linux applications using X11 on OS X...hehe.
Like what? As an EECS student, I never had to use software that couldn't be installed on my Mac. And much of the time I could just tunnel whatever X11 app I needed over SSH. I felt it was a much more suitable platform for my needs than Windows or double booting Windows and Linux.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 11:17 PM

I wouldn't get too Hung up about it.

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2004, 11:36 PM

If you haven't gotten your PowerBook yet, you might want to wait until you get to Berkeley. See this thread: 15" PB price at UCLA

If I remember correctly (I can't remember what I did a few hours ago) I went to the UCLA bookstore website to check and the particular deal mentioned in that thread hadn't made it there.

Berkeley has changed since I was enrolled there as a regular student (umm, 20 years ago, when they were on the quarter system). They have mandatory discussion sections in which the major concepts might be reviewed, hints given out for homework problems, and test review. It's a good idea for not-so-good students (like me). The only thing is that it is extra time which must be scheduled, putting further limitations on your class schedule.

It's nice that Berkeley is ranked #2 in engineering, but don't get too hung up on that. One mistake I made was that I learned that English was highly ranked, so decided I might as well add that to my other major (Chemistry). That didn't work very well, and since it was not a requirement to see an academic advisor, that contributed to not lasting past freshman year. However, I'm sure that almost everyone else would not do such a thing.

I'll be taking ENGR 40 over the summer. I'm having difficulty with electronics at my school. I haven't had trouble any other classes (and I've completed 90% of my major classes) so maybe a change it atmosphere will do me good. (Either that, or I'll know I should switch to Computer Engineering or Computer Science.)

I went to Berkeley for Physics last semester (I'd be taking Quantum Mechanics this summer if I didn't think Electronics would be more practical). I recognized the bongo drums at lunchtime, but I didn't see the Hare Krishnas, who used to dance on the sidewalk in front of Sproul Plaza.

I didn't meet many people there (the first time) and spent much of my time in the Photo lab (under Eschelman Hall?). I'm meeting more people now, though (maybe because I look older, they think I'm smart, and people either assume I'm the instructor or that I know what is going on).

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 03:06 AM

The city is very liberal, and it's annoying. Amongst the student body, politics didn't bother me as much, but some groups are definitely disruptive.

The engineering school isn't much better than most others for an undergraduate education, honestly. Great for grad school -- and most rankings are really about grad school, not undergrad.
You really come off as though you are the center of the universe, and if you don't like something, no one will. Most people I talk to (who attend Berkeley, and who I know far better than you) think that it's the greatest school on the face of the earth, and I'm not about to let a sour MacNN'er ruin the experience for me.

Furthermore, I did not base my decision on the rankings...I merely mentioned them. I am a very assertive individual, and Berkeley offers amazing research and internship opportunities for those who are assertive enough to get them. That will get me into grad school, and that is one of the major reasons that I love Berkeley. I'm also a Regents Scholar, so I get a few perks here and there.

According to your logic, no one would ever attend Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Caltech, Princeton, etc. for undergraduate school, as the rankings are all "about grad school." People attend schools because they like them, and I like Berkeley. It's really that simple...

...but, aside from the fact that rankings don't matter, they aren't just based on grad school. As an EECS student, I'm sure you're well aware of the fact that companies recruit tons of Berkeley EECS students right after graduation, more than students at places like Stanford or Harvard, simply because Berkeley EECS students are truly hardcore. Now, I'm planning on going to into grad school and become an entrepreneur, but the fact that these students are so heavily recruited seems to attest to the fact that the rankings are based on the undergaduate schools (with, perhaps, a hint of grad school by accident).

Don't try to make me feel bad about a school that I love. You had a bad experience. Many a person has the time of his/her life. Don't predispose me to not be such a person.

Originally posted by skipjack:
It's nice that Berkeley is ranked #2 in engineering, but don't get too hung up on that
I love Berkeley because it is a great school, not because of its engineering ranking. I love engineering because I have a passion for it, not because it is ranked highly at Berkeley. Please don't assume things about me. I'm tired of people trying to dilute my enthusiasm.

Weezer
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 03:11 AM

You really come off as though you are the center of the universe, and if you don't like something, no one will. Most people I talk to (who attend Berkeley, and who I know far better than you) think that it's the greatest school on the face of the earth, and I'm not about to let a sour MacNN'er ruin the experience for me.
take it easy man, don't let some guy on a message board upset you so much about your choice in schools. College is fun, don't study too much

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by Weezer:
take it easy man, don't let some guy on a message board upset you so much about your choice in schools. College is fun, don't study too much
Bahaha, I know. If you scroll up, though, there had definitely been a pattern of "rag on Berkeley." I was sort of sick of it...

...but, yeah...

Let's all be friends!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 03:41 AM

Eh, you asked for opinions, and I gave mine. I think I mentioned often that this was my personal experience, so don't let it affect your experience. Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I think I'm the center of the universe, it just means I disagree. Overall I actually was rather ambivalent toward the school -- I didn't hate it or love it.

Besides that, if you say the nature of the city and the student body are one thing, and I know them to be different, I don't see what's wrong with mentioning that. The fact of the matter is that the city is extremely liberal, indisputably so. The student body is not as political as people outside think it is, but there are disruptive groups on campus (the AA groups and SJP, for example). Those aren't really opinions -- ask the shop owners whose stores are looted when a group buses in thousands of high school kids for a rally, or the lecturers whose classes are disrupted when SJP takes over a building. Those things don't happen every day, but they happen.

Furthermore, I did not base my decision on the rankings...I merely mentioned them. I am a very assertive individual, and Berkeley offers amazing research and internship opportunities for those who are assertive enough to get them. That will get me into grad school, and that is one of the major reasons that I love Berkeley. I'm also a Regents Scholar, so I get a few perks here and there.
You mentioned the rankings several times, and I just mentioned that yeah, it ranks highly, but I didn't find the quality of its undergraduate education to be that much higher than other schools. I did not say something along the lines of "you shouldn't have chosen it for the rankings" because you made it clear that you didn't.

According to your logic, no one would ever attend Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Caltech, Princeton, etc. for undergraduate school, as the rankings are all "about grad school." People attend schools because they like them, and I like Berkeley. It's really that simple...
Sure, that's why people should attend schools, because they like them. If you want my honest opinion though -- no, people should not attend Harvard, Stanford, etc for undergrad because it's a waste of money. (my opinion)

...but, aside from the fact that rankings don't matter, they aren't just based on grad school. As an EECS student, I'm sure you're well aware of the fact that companies recruit tons of Berkeley EECS students right after graduation, more than students at places like Stanford or Harvard, simply because Berkeley EECS students are truly hardcore. Now, I'm planning on going to into grad school and become an entrepreneur, but the fact that these students are so heavily recruited seems to attest to the fact that the rankings are based on the undergaduate schools (with, perhaps, a hint of grad school by accident).
Actually, they do not recruit students from Berkeley much more than from other schools. Most of the folks I graduated with did not get jobs after college, and the ones that did (like me) had to fight for them. The Berkeley name didn't do much to help. I was told to expect as much by my academic advisors while I was a student there. That all might change with the improvement in the economy, but I don't think it'll return to 1995-2000 levels, personally (my opinion, just to make it clear).

The rankings are based on grad schools, or they were when I began college. Are you talking about the US News rankings? Those are based on graduate schools. Prestigious faculty and research opportunities don't generally have much bearing on undergraduate education. Some of the famous professors are horrible teachers, but Berkeley has its fair share of excellent lecturers who compensate for that (I'm sure your friends can tell you some of them).

Like I said, I hope you enjoy the school. Didn't mean to be a downer, I was answering your questions and responding with what IMO is a more realistic evaluation of some things. No school is perfect, and no two students have the same experiences.

PS, you asked about dorms. If you're an engineer, Foothill is great. I did get the feeling that people in the units socialized a bit more.

BTW, I hope you noticed that skipjack and I are not the same person
( Last edited by itai195; May 2, 2004 at 04:52 AM. )

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 04:08 AM

If you want my honest opinion though -- no, people should not attend Harvard, Stanford, etc for undergrad because it's a waste of money.

Honestly, Stanford undergrad was one of my most worthwhile experiences, and what former undergrad can compare it to any other unrealized undergrad experience? Except for transfers of course. I turned down Harvard, Princeton, Notre Dame, and UT Austin. I often wonder what would have become of me in these places, but I'll never know. I'm content with the decision I made.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by quesera:
If you want my honest opinion though -- no, people should not attend Harvard, Stanford, etc for undergrad because it's a waste of money.

Honestly, Stanford undergrad was one of my most worthwhile experiences, and what former undergrad can compare it to any other unrealized undergrad experience? Except for transfers of course. I turned down Harvard, Princeton, Notre Dame, and UT Austin. I often wonder what would have become of me in these places, but I'll never know. I'm content with the decision I made.
No problem there. Just my opinion

I can't compare the experience to anything, I just feel that the cost is excessive.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 04:50 AM

And I can't help but mention that plenty of people there don't think it's the greatest school on the face of the earth, and that's a reality you'll have to come to terms with.
Of course...

Actually, they do not recruit students from Berkeley much more than from other schools. Most of the folks I graduated with did not get jobs after college, and the ones that did (like me) had to fight for them. The Berkeley name didn't do much to help. I was told to expect as much by my academic advisors while I was a student there. That all might change with the improvement in the economy, but I don't think it'll return to 1995-2000 levels, personally (my opinion, just to make it clear).
Perhaps not more, but just as much as other top-notch shools (and I would still say a bit more...not the introverted ones who can't be assertive, though, as many of them are...but the assertive ones). Either way, it doesn't affect me in the least bit...

But trust me, the rankings are based on grad schools, or they were when I began college. Are you talking about the US News rankings? Prestigious faculty and research opportunities don't generally have much bearing on undergraduate education. As a matter of fact, they probably have a negative impact if anything. Berkeley has its fair share of excellent lecturers who compensate for that (I'm sure your friends can tell you some of them).
If I'm planning on doing undergraduate research, then research is key. It's really that simple. Sure, it won't be spoonfed to me as it is in some private schools, but it's more "real world." By the way, I was talking about US News.

PS, you asked about dorms. If you're an engineer, Foothill is great. I did get the feeling that people in the units socialized a bit more.
I slept overnight at Foothill, and truly loved it. Given that I'm a Regents, I'll probably get it .

BTW, I hope you noticed that skipjack and I are not the same person
Bahaha...of course.

I'm sure Berkeley will be one of my most worthwhile experiences. College itself will be one of my most worthwhile experiences.

phoenixboy
Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
May 2, 2004, 04:58 AM

I turned down Harvard, Princeton, Notre Dame, and UT Austin. I often wonder what would have become of me in these places, but I'll never know. I'm content with the decision I made.
i turned down uc berkeley and look where it got me...a bitter 30s something, agruing the exsitence of god on an internet forum...

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 05:09 AM

I'm sure Berkeley will be one of my most worthwhile experiences. College itself will be one of my most worthwhile experiences.
Good, that's all that matters. Sorry if I came across negatively. Perhaps I've spent too much time in the pol/war lounge

As far as the powerbook question goes, hope my answer helped, but if you've got friends there they might know better.

PS And if you have to take Physics 7A or 7B, get Burkett

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 05:12 AM

Good, that's all that matters. Sorry if I came across negatively. Perhaps I've spent too much time in the pol/war lounge

As far as the powerbook question goes, hope my answer helped, but if you've got friends there they might know better.
I don't know anyone who knows a thing about Macs .

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 05:14 AM

I don't know anyone who knows a thing about Macs .
If you're majoring in EECS, I can tell you that as of two years ago I'd say Macs were the ideal platform for the major, IMO. I ran everything I needed on OS X, it was perfect. I can't speak for whatever software other engineers need to use, though. It might always be possible to run it in VPC if necessary.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 05:18 AM

If you're majoring in EECS, I can tell you that as of two years ago I'd say Macs were the ideal platform for the major, IMO. I ran everything I needed on OS X, it was perfect. I can't speak for whatever software other engineers need to use, though. It might always be possible to run it in VPC if necessary.
Nice. I'm actually debating between EECS, ME, and BioE. I'm EU (Engineering Undeclared), so I don't have to decide yet...but when I do:

Me: Hey, Mr. Dean Person!
Dean: Yo, Tavilach, what up?
Me: I liked having breakfast with you on Cal Day [I did, and had a ten minutes chat with him...it was fun], Dean!
Dean: So, what brings you here on this fine day?
Me: Well, I wan't to be in EECS.
Dean: And you're in Undeclared, right now?
Me: Yes.
Dean: Alright...are you still in good academic standing?
Me: Err...
Dean: In other words, have you been kicked out of the school?
Me: Umm...
Dean: Well, in that case, welcome to EECS!

It really is that simple...thus, they make Undeclared as competitive to get into.

...but yeah, I might to EECS. That's awesome that OS X is so ideal.

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 05:43 AM

PS And if you have to take Physics 7A or 7B, get Burkett
I had Dalven for 7C (2003). I'm almost sure he's the same professor I had for 5A (1974 - when the physics sequence was 5A-E). He's retired now, except for occasional summer classes.

From a past post:

"It's nice that Berkeley is ranked #2 in engineering, but don't get too hung up on that

I love Berkeley because it is a great school, not because of its engineering ranking. I love engineering because I have a passion for it, not because it is ranked highly at Berkeley. Please don't assume things about me. I'm tired of people trying to dilute my enthusiasm."

Actually, that was a lead-in to the rest of the paragraph on the dangers of looking at rankings. It's a coincidence that different people posting at the same time happened to catch onto the phrase "hung up". If you thought I was trying to dampen your enthusiasm, that's not the case and I was trying to give some examples why the system at Berkeley has improved over the years.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 06:02 AM

I had Dalven for 7C (2003). I'm almost sure he's the same professor I had for 5A (1974 - when the physics sequence was 5A-E). He's retired now, except for occasional summer classes.

From a past post:

"It's nice that Berkeley is ranked #2 in engineering, but don't get too hung up on that

I love Berkeley because it is a great school, not because of its engineering ranking. I love engineering because I have a passion for it, not because it is ranked highly at Berkeley. Please don't assume things about me. I'm tired of people trying to dilute my enthusiasm."

Actually, that was a lead-in to the rest of the paragraph on the dangers of looking at rankings. It's a coincidence that different people posting at the same time happened to catch onto the phrase "hung up". If you thought I was trying to dampen your enthusiasm, that's not the case and I was trying to give some examples why the system at Berkeley has improved over the years.
Gotcha .

I'm sorry if I've been a little sensitive in this thread. I just felt, as you most put eloquently put it, that people were "trying to dampen [my] enthusiasm."

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 10:14 PM

Does anyone else have knowledge about Macs at Berkeley?

Dex13
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 10:40 PM

A Golden Bear huh?

if you don't mind me asking � what were your sat, sat 2's and gpa?

I might go there, but if only UCSC, UCLA, and CSU Hayward all reject me.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 10:50 PM

I live in Oakland when I'm not at school in NY. Berkeley is dope.

Here are some key things to know:

� ComputerWare is a famous bay area mac retailer with a location in Berkeley. They are sometimes open for business too! Probably not right now, though. M.A.C. and the Apple Store in Emeryville are your other options.

� Even engineering students listen to music sometimes. The places to buy it are Amoeba and Rasputins, in that order. Not Tower. That's the devil.

� Good food: Smart Alec's and Nan and Curry on Telegraph are great. The Cheese Board, Zachary's and Arinell's are the pizza. You will never want pizza anywhere else after those three. The Smokehouse has burgers and the like.

� The great outdoors: Tilden park is local and awesome.

� Weed: My buddy Jay

I'd say get a bike for getting around. It's a beautiful city. Enjoy it.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Dex13:
A Golden Bear huh?

if you don't mind me asking � what were your sat, sat 2's and gpa?

I might go there, but if only UCSC, UCLA, and CSU Hayward all reject me.

I sort of do mind, as I've learned that SAT scores really don't matter, as long as they're in a certain range. I was definitely in that range...as can be seen by my Regents Scholarship, and acceptances to Cornell and Columbia. That's all I'm going to say about that .

I don't know why you'd go to UCSC or CSU Hayward over Berkeley...but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I live in Oakland when I'm not at school in NY. Berkeley is dope.

Here are some key things to know:

� ComputerWare is a famous bay area mac retailer with a location in Berkeley. They are sometimes open for business too! Probably not right now, though. M.A.C. and the Apple Store in Emeryville are your other options.

� Even engineering students listen to music sometimes. The places to buy it are Amoeba and Rasputins, in that order. Not Tower. That's the devil.

� Good food: Smart Alec's and Nan and Curry on Telegraph are great. The Cheese Board, Zachary's and Arinell's are the pizza. You will never want pizza anywhere else after those three. The Smokehouse has burgers and the like.

� The great outdoors: Tilden park is local and awesome.

� Weed: My buddy Jay

I'd say get a bike for getting around. It's a beautiful city. Enjoy it.
Thanks for the tips, although I'm very anti-drugs (and while Berkeley is very liberal, I promise you that I'm not alone in this...there are, after all, 27,000 undergraduates).

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 11:02 PM

mmm... Zachary's.... the one thing that I miss about Oakland. There's one on North Side of Berkeley too I think, but I never really spent much time around there.

Not to contradict the advice, but I'd say get a bike at your own risk

I had one for a while, but I just could not trust the drivers in Berkeley. I don't blame them, it's a tough place to drive.

Tantrum
May 3, 2004, 11:11 PM

eh, i didn't get into berkeley, ucla, ucsd, stanford, harvard...or any "brain" schools... I did get into USC though. good enough for me...it's been the best 2 years of my life.
Powerbook Al 15"/1.25 GHZ/60 GB/512 MB/Airport/Bluetooth/Combo w/ 10.3
iPod 20 GB

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:

Last time I was in Berserkeley, I noticed that ComputerWare was closed for good.

Zach's - wonderful stuff. Barney's for burgers.

Dex13
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 11:32 PM

Why would I go to UCSC, UCLA, or CSU Hayward?

what the **** is that supposed to mean?

Stupid Golden Bear

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 11:38 PM

CSU Hayward ... I went there for some psychology and political science classes. (The psychology class was taught by a Ph.D student from Berkeley.) Not a place you'd be interested in. If I remember correctly, the only engineering they might have there might be industrial engineering ... no civil, mechanical, electrical, nor (I think) computer engineering.

Anyway, back to Berkeley: In the short time I was there recently (that is, after personal computers were popularized) I saw all PCs in the libraries. Admin offices had iMacs, I think. The physics labs had old, beige PowerPCs. When I applied for a job at Lawrence Berkeley lab, they used ancient Macs in the cyclotron laboratories (to run LabView, which started on Apples, but didn't get OS X support until the latest version, which came out within the year).

Enough of the bad news. I hear there are plenty of Macs around, I just didn't see any. (I was only in LeConte, the libraries, and the Hearst Annex.) If you go to the Berkeley website and look for Telebears, you can find a wireless map. The Cal computer store is not on campus (I think it's across the street) and is called the Scholar's Workshop (I've never found it, but you can get an idea of what they have at www.tsw.berkeley.edu.)

If you're interested in contacting an avid Mac user, at the "other" forum (AI), there's a freshman architecture student who goes by "applenut". Not surprisingly, I haven't seen many of his posts since a couple of weeks after the academic year started (except for during the winter break). He might be on the baseball team also. There's also Eugene (moderator emeritus) who graduated recently (within two years).

I'm pretty sure ComputerWare is closed. If it is the chain I'm thinking of, I've seen former employees working at the Apple Store.

Drugs? Never saw any, never was offered any. Really! (If one is anti-social, one can lead a sheltered, academic life.)

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Last time I was in Berserkeley, I noticed that ComputerWare was closed for good.

Zach's - wonderful stuff. Barney's for burgers.
You really need to stop that. It's great that you hate Berkeley. Enough.

Originally posted by Dex13:
Why would I go to UCSC, UCLA, or CSU Hayward?

what the **** is that supposed to mean?

Stupid Golden Bear
I didn't say UCLA. I asked you why you'd go to UCSC or CSU Hayward over Berkeley. The academics don't compare. I then said, "whatever floats your boat."

That's what that means.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 11:43 PM

CSU Hayward ... I went there for some psychology and political science classes. (The psychology class was taught by a Ph.D student from Berkeley.) Not a place you'd be interested in. If I remember correctly, the only engineering they might have there might be industrial engineering ... no civil, mechanical, electrical, nor (I think) computer engineering.

Anyway, back to Berkeley: In the short time I was there recently (that is, after personal computers were popularized) I saw all PCs in the libraries. Admin offices had iMacs, I think. The physics labs had old, beige PowerPCs. When I applied for a job at Lawrence Berkeley lab, they used ancient Macs in the cyclotron laboratories (to run LabView, which started on Apples, but didn't get OS X support until the latest version, which came out within the year).

Enough of the bad news. I hear there are plenty of Macs around, I just didn't see any. (I was only in LeConte, the libraries, and the Hearst Annex.) If you go to the Berkeley website and look for Telebears, you can find a wireless map. The Cal computer store is not on campus (I think it's across the street) and is called the Scholar's Workshop (I've never found it, but you can get an idea of what they have at www.tsw.berkeley.edu.)

If you're interested in contacting an avid Mac user, at the "other" forum (AI), there's a freshman architecture student who goes by "applenut". Not surprisingly, I haven't seen many of his posts since a couple of weeks after the academic year started (except for during the winter break). He might be on the baseball team also. There's also Eugene (moderator emeritus) who graduated recently (within two years).

I'm pretty sure ComputerWare is closed. If it is the chain I'm thinking of, I've seen former employees working at the Apple Store.

Drugs? Never saw any, never was offered any. Really! (If one is anti-social, one can lead a sheltered, academic life.)
I remember using LabView on a 25 MHz Beige Mac...this summer. At Caltech. Hmm. ...

Thanks for the imparted knowledge. Except, what is this "other" forum? "AI"...umm...

Dex13
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 11:48 PM

Why would someone choose UCSC or CSU Hayward over Berkeley ....?

Because everyone is not a silly little transparent political fake like you?

I've been to Berkeley, I've seen Berkeley, I know graduates from Berkeley.

Phony people don't float my boat.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 11:59 PM

Heh, someone have Holden Caulfield syndrome? Not everyone at Berkeley is a phony, but you hit on one of my pet peeves. Most of the 'phony' ones don't stick around in the tough majors for much longer than a semester or two though. I knew pre-meds who had gotten 5's on the Calculus BC AP tests, and took the very first calculus class at Berkeley (even though they didn't have to) thinking that they'd get a good grade to boost their pre-Med GPA... oops, they got C's. Before the third semester of computer science, everyone thinks they're a computer scientist too. Unfortunately the phonies usually fall, and when they fall they get bitter... and then they're even more annoying.

But like I said, not everyone is like that, and every college has some of those kinds of people. I knew a few really great people there.

LeConte has a few Mac labs, but they're for first year CS and physics students, and the Macs are ancient. Hopefully they've upgraded that in the five years since I took those classes (god it's been that long...). I don't know of many other Macs on campus, I did work in IEOR for a short time and some of the professors there have Macs. Some of the CS professors have Macs too.

Dex13
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 12:08 AM

Heh, someone have Holden Caulfield syndrome? Not everyone at Berkeley is a phony, but you hit on one of my pet peeves. Most of the 'phony' ones don't stick around in the tough majors for much longer than a semester or two though. I knew pre-meds who had gotten 5's on the Calculus BC AP tests, and took the very first calculus class at Berkeley (even though they didn't have to) thinking that they'd get a good grade to boost their pre-Med GPA... oops, they got C's. Before the third semester of computer science, everyone thinks they're a computer scientist too. Unfortunately the phonies usually fall, and when they fall they get bitter... and then they're even more annoying.

But like I said, not everyone is like that, and every college has some of those kinds of people. I knew a few really great people there.

LeConte has a few Mac labs, but they're for first year CS and physics students, and the Macs are ancient. Hopefully they've upgraded that in the five years since I took those classes (god it's been that long...). I don't know of many other Macs on campus, I did work in IEOR for a short time and some of the professors there have Macs. Some of the CS professors have Macs too.
LoL, one of my favorite books

I guess I'll lay off the kid and let him be a Golden Bear, Go Banana Slugs!

:edit:

btw there are a couple of mac labs around campus. Funny how they were in transparent little houses, but I couldn't get in, they were locked, but they were all G4's.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 01:05 AM

You really need to stop that. It's great that you hate Berkeley. Enough.
I can't tell, but I'll assume you're joking - I never even suggested that I hate Berserkeley. I like Berserkelely, got married in Berserkeley, have friends in Berserkeley. In fact, I'm going out there tomorrow to visit them.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I can't tell, but I'll assume you're joking - I never even suggested that I hate Berserkeley. I like Berserkelely, got married in Berserkeley, have friends in Berserkeley. In fact, I'm going out there tomorrow to visit them.
Err. I wasn't joking. You keep referring to it as "Berserkeley." It kind of sounds insulting...

I guess it's just me, though.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 01:14 AM

Heh, plenty of folks call it that. The city is pretty berserk, no doubt about it

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 01:31 AM

Err. I wasn't joking. You keep referring to it as "Berserkeley." It kind of sounds insulting...

I guess it's just me, though.

Yes, it's just you. Don't take things so seriously.

Berserkeley was, among other things, the name of an independent record label in the '70s. It's a term of affection as well as derision. And if you don't think it's an apt name, you haven't spent any time there.

Sorry to say, not everything about the town is wonderful, but a good deal of it is wonderful, especially the food.

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 01:51 AM

I remember using LabView on a 25 MHz Beige Mac...this summer. At Caltech. Hmm. ...
Except, what is this "other" forum? "AI"...umm...
I'll assume you're being serious: AppleInsider forums

I'm running LabView on my G3 iBook 800 right now. LabView 7 Express Student Edition. $52.06 with tutorial book at Amazon (although there is one copy on eBay, supposedly unopened, for $39.50 Buy-it-now price). No classes I've ever taken have used LabView and the only class at my current school that uses LabView is an elective class (new next year) at the introductory level. You said you've used the program and it would be a good idea to maintain some familiarity with it, as one job interview (at Lawrence Berkeley Lab) and one internship interview (at Apple) both suggested it was desirable to know the program (it was not listed on either job announcement).

Jansar
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 02:40 AM

The Bay Area is the place to be!
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Forum Links
Forum Rules