Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Post Pics of Cool PC Laptops

Post Pics of Cool PC Laptops (Page 2)
waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
You are kiddin'. right ? Otherwise:

WTF? Are you guys blind ?

Just look at all the bottons on the front sides, the ports, the lid locks. FUGLY!

-

I keed, I keed!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2005, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash

I keed, I keed!
K. I'm glad you were. But not all are. The mere existance of this thread proves it...

-t

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 04:05 PM

There isn't a laptop in this thread that looks better than what apple is doing. I don't know if I've tried to balance all the weight on my hinge, but I've held my iBook by the corner before. no big deal. I've played with Thinkpads. I don't think I'd hold it like that.

Seriously, look at that:

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
I don't know if I've tried to balance all the weight on my hinge, but I've held my iBook by the corner before. no big deal.
iBook, not PowerBook. Plastic, not aluminum.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 04:14 PM

Didn't you say you had a TiBook? The aluminums are pretty sturdy too. My Dad has one and its pretty solid.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 04:21 PM

No, I have a 15" Aluminum PowerBook. You can see it in the pictures I took holding the Thinkpad in those crazy ways. Yeah it's very solid, but not durable enough to withstand the structural abuse that I was demonstrating in those pictures of the Thinkpad, because aluminum would bend too easily.

And yes I realize no one would hold their laptop by the screen in practical use. I'm just demonstrating how strong the material is.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 12, 2005, 04:27 PM

I guess they hit their target when making the thing so tuff. Anyone who would use Windows must be a retarded idiot and cannot be trusted to take care of their laptop...

I'm kidding! I kid. I love. Ok, I wasn't really kidding, but I didn't mean you. You have to use <snicker> windows....<lol> Sorry....

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 04:33 PM

That Samsung is what I'm talking about. It's not that I don't think Apple could do an infinitely better job of the design, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put the PowerBook on a bit of a diet now that they apparently have a little more space to work with.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 05:06 PM

Before I get flamed, these are semi-rugged toughbooks. They stand up to serious, serious abuse.

Considering how popular Apple is getting with the scientific community, maybe some model of rugged notebook wouldn't be a crazy idea. Sure its a niche market, buts its a high-end niche market and Apple could do well.

You know you want it.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
I wish Apple would make a Ferrari laptop like Acer did.
Heres the new one that just came out...even nicer..mmmm carbon fiber..mmmm

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 06:27 PM

*Whistles*
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 07:18 PM

I like the 2" lift kit on the display.

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 07:54 PM

I bloody hate those Toshiba satellites. I used to be in a school laptop program (where students buy their own laptops and pretty much use them for everything at school). A bunch of my friends had those satellites... God, they're terribly ugly, and enormous. Many other people also had some next-generation (though equally as large and ugly as the Satellites) Dell Inspirons.

I had a nine pound Dell Inspiron 8200. It was big and cumbersome (but had cleaner looks than those new silver/blue Inspirons, it was classic black with some silver accents), but it was very trustworthy and I had little problems with it (power box broke, battery died, memory died, but that's it, and over a 3 year period).

New PC laptops are definitely much better. My dad just ordered this one:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Although I wish he hadn't ordered a Dell. That Samsung laptop quoted earlier looks really nice, but it does have an external DVD drive... but if you're just using it for business/school, I doubt you'd use the optical drive that often, other than to install some programs, and watch the occasional DVD. USB drives are better for data-transfer.

Btw, here's a pic of my old Dell laptop, now sold:

Yes, it's enormous, and had a battery life of about an hour - but it was very trustworthy. That pic is actually a little different, my optical drive was on the left and in that modular bay was a floppy drive (you could stick a second battery or a second optical drive, or even a second modular hard drive in there).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Holding it by one corner
I do that with my AlBook.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

xenu
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 08:14 PM

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 9300. It won't be winning any design awards.
Nice video card though - 256 MB NVIDEA GeForce Go 6800.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Aug 13, 2005, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I like the 2" lift kit on the display.
I actually own that laptop, and think it's pretty nice-looking (it's no powerbook, but then again it was 1/3 the cost.) It's served me well for the last 2 years. The lifted display is cool IMHO.

jam8
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 03:01 AM

In all honesty, the powerbook is absolutely gorgeous. The ibook is clean, polished, and handsome as well. Apple has the most brilliant design engineers who have achieved such a state of elegance in all of the products that they design.

The new intel chip isn't going to change the fact that Apple has the best design engineers in the world, composing the most beautiful products in the world; and it certainly doesn't mean that they are going to begin designing less beautiful products.

Don't worry!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 03:11 AM

Are they design engineers, or just designers? I wonder if real engineers feel bad that everyone else call themselves engineers nowadays. One of my best friends went to 5 or 6 years of college to be an engineer, but some 2 year college dropout is a software engineer cause he write php for 10 hours a day. Not attacking you, but someone think of the engineers!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2005, 05:54 AM

You'd definitely want a design engineer to design your laptop. Hardware design is serious business and does not only cover the way the shell looks.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

agentz
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
What the hell are Panasonic at with those optical drives
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 03:42 PM

toughbooks are the only ones I would consider, they are just so cool and tough.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 04:24 PM

A lot of ugly ducklings in this thread, but the Samsung looks quite nice. Samsung right now seems to have some of the nicest products in every field, especially when it comes to mobiles.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2005, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
WTF ? Ever heard of slot-in drives ?

-t

Hash
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 02:54 PM

Have u ever seen them? They are very thin and light yet feel quite sturdy and dependable.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
WTF ? Ever heard of slot-in drives ?

-t
Super light, and very sexy! Could be made better with a slot loader, but this is the only PC notebook I would ever consider buying. Some of the Panasonics have the touch screens which are great. Brother-in-law is a cop, and they use the suitcase type bolted to the dashboard. Very tough indeed.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 03:34 PM

( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Aug 14, 2005 at 03:41 PM. )

Hash
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 04:18 PM

I had Vaio 505, it had great design, but nothing special except it. Yet these Panasonic T4s have 9-12 hours of battery life and great design too. I sort of disliked first Panasonic Let's note's (the current one is perhaps 3-4th generation) and did not value the metallic body enough but now I have second thought after using for a while Vaio, Sharp and Acer notebooks (Acer is office one). Too bad I can't afford one now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules