Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New imac dilemma...

New imac dilemma...
Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2006, 12:44 PM

A friend of mine just took delivery of a new 20" G5 imac yesterday... same day as the new intel models introduced. He called Apple and said they would exchange without penalty for the new intel model.

He bought the imac to use Garage Band exclusively. I would guess there are no drivers out for any of the interfaces yet. So does he exchange and wait for the drivers? Also is it true the the Intel chips are only 32 bit where as the G5 are 64bit? We're kind of perplexed on what to do here. Any advice folks?
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 12:58 PM

I'd keep the G5.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:04 PM

As far as i know, all the drivers will be in place, because the drivers are from the OS, not the BIOS/processor, and the intel version of OSX is, as I was lead to belive wilst watching the keynote, exactly the same as the PPC one.

I am in almost the exact same boat as your friend, only thing is that i've had my iMac 9 days and have used it, though im still rather confident I am getting a replacement either from Apple of John lewis. I would 100% change it for an intel, no doubt about it.

As far as 64/32 bit goes, you have two cores in the intel, so 32+32=64 hehe (i know im talking total crap, but what the hell :-)) On a serious note, I really dont rekon you would notice a speed difference between 32/64 bit, expecially when doing relativly non processor intensive stuff like garageband.

As I say, if i were in your friends boat (and I kind of am..) then I would (and am going to try to) swap if for the new one. At least then you have a much speddier machine, and the newest thing out
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:30 PM

Exchange it.

'64bit' is essentially just a PR thing. What matters is real world performance and the new ones are much faster. Drivers won't be an issue either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules