Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS9.1 and epson printers?

Mac OS9.1 and epson printers?
artworklfp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 02:26 AM

Hello
Can anybody tell me why, after upgrading to 9.1 ( I did a clean install to, same problem) non of my Epson printers works ( 2 USB printers , 1 on the printer port) They are visible in the chooser and one can select them, but they wont print?
Strange thing here is that my reseller says he has no problem what so ever with this. For your information, I run ATM 4.6 lite and suitcase 9. I switched Menufonts off.
Somebody help me please.

Thanks

------------------

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 04:52 AM

Have you checked to make sure that you have the most recent printer drivers? If you upgraded from an earlier version of the operating system, it could be that the drivers that came with the printer were compatible with that version, but they have since come out with updated drivers? just a thought... I use a Stylus 3000, 900, and 740with 9.1 w/o problems...
good luck,
dave

VRL
Senior User
Apr 10, 2001, 05:22 AM

Same here - Epson 740 (USB) with 9.1, as well as X, with no problems.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

artworklfp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 06:02 AM

Thanks for the reply, but even with the latest drivers the problem remains.

------------------

WillyB
Apr 10, 2001, 07:45 AM

try tossing out the epson preferences in the preferences folder inside the system folder?
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 07:49 AM

Ditto.....OS 9.1 from the OSX 3-24 release with an Epson 750 Photo printer with no problems at all. Sounds like a corrupted driver. I would remove all the Epson files from your System Folder by dragging them to the trash and then run the Epson driver installer again. I've found that the Epson installer is rather sloppy when you attempt to upgrade the driver software. Not all components are handled properly. I've seen this behavior with the software for both the 750 and the 1200 Epson machines.

PS remember to download and install the Epson updater as well

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 08:31 AM

Have you run any disk utilities, such as Norton, Techtool, or Disk Warrior? If so, has it found any problems? It could be a low level problem on your drive that disk first aid can't fix/find, and a clean install would not fix... as another option, if possible, try backing up your info, reformatting the drive, and then starting from scratch (I understand that it is a little extreme and time consuming, but sometimes the benefits are worth it -- more stability, quicker access, etc)
good luck,
dave

petek
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 12:42 PM

When you re-installed the Epson drivers, did you trash all the old drivers, prefs, etc., first? Also Epson recommends installing with extensions off. I've had problems in the past when I've ignored those details. IMHO Epson has pretty flaky drivers and their installers aren't any better.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2001, 02:59 PM

possible conflict with ATM 4.6 lite...
running 9.1 w/epson 980, no problem but ATM deluxe...

try w/o ATM, plus of course all the above proposed ideas!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 04:03 PM

You might want to take a look at this. http://www.macfixit.com/ultimate/For...ML/000001.html

------------------

iMac1337

Forum Links
Forum Rules