Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Old or new Imac?

Old or new Imac?
design219
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 07:28 AM

I bought a 20 inch intel Imac from the apple store just hours before the new Imac announcement. It is in rout with delivery either today or Monday.

Any opinions about whether I should accept the older machine, or return and get the new one. I guess the question is, anybody have any idea how much better the new machine is? It is for home use, not work, but I will use it with photoshop and final cut.

I did get a price reduction over the phone from Apple, even though the old machine is not here yet.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 07:49 AM

It might not make a huge difference - the CPU is going to be a bit faster, and you'll get an extra 512MB of RAM, but neither is a deal-breaker. The discount you received from Apple can be put into the RAM you'll need for those apps.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 07:55 AM

If you bought it just hours before, you're likely getting the newer model. I remember once purchasing an iBook 5 days before they were announced, and I had a shipping delay, then BAM I was already upgraded to the newer machine.

Let it come. When you get it, look on the box to see if it's the Core 2 Duo (2.16Ghz) or just plain Core Duo (2.0 Ghz). If it's just the Core Duo, I'd return it. You save $200 by upgrading to the newer model. In fact, yesterday I returned my 2-week old iMac, paid the restocking fee, and purchased a new one and still got back $41. So basically Apple paid me to upgrade to the newer, faster machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules