Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgraded Quicksilver--Apps Crashing w/ 10.4.9

Upgraded Quicksilver--Apps Crashing w/ 10.4.9
Subaru_Nation555
Mar 15, 2007, 07:11 PM

Just installed Tiger on my Quicksilver and applications like Safari, iTunes, Excel are crashing more then they should (at least one crash a day). Everything worked fine for a week or so. I made sure the RAM was secure and tried reinstalling Office but those attempts yielded nothing. Disk permissions have all been repaired also. Also of note is the fact that when I woke the computer up from sleep there was a kernal panic. The memory and hard drives are all old (RAM is 5yo, main HD is 5 and newer HD is 2). I'm thinking memory? Any other suggestions to help determine what is going on? Thanks.

PS-As I was typing this message, iTunes crashed
( Last edited by Subaru_Nation555; Mar 15, 2007 at 07:24 PM. )
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

†homas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2007, 07:15 PM

but could u tell me if some one knows why cause im getting a power mac g4 just dont know which 1

†homas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2007, 07:15 PM

and i have 10.4.9

ha i got a macbook

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 07:40 PM

I would say ram might be an issue.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 07:45 PM

Give memtest a whirl. It takes an hour or two for it to make 3 passes, but it'll catch what the Apple Hardware Test might miss.

I have a theory about the Quicksilvers, especially the duallies, that the RAM gets too hot in these sandwiched right between the CPU heatsink & the video card, and that it goes wonky with time.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Subaru_Nation555  (op)
Mar 15, 2007, 08:46 PM

I'll download and give it a try. Your theory about the location of the RAM makes sense, especially since I'm running faster CPUs that certainly make more heat even with the upgraded fans. Thanks for your replies.
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

Subaru_Nation555  (op)
Mar 18, 2007, 07:34 PM

Well I moved the two RAM chips to the last two slots from the processor. It was only about an inch further away from the heat but nothing has crashed in the last couple of days. I am planning on investing in three new 512 MB sticks.
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 09:56 PM

Could be the logic board.

P.S. My MacBook Pro trackpad is giving me a headache.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Forum Links
Forum Rules