Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Recover trash... ?

Recover trash... ?
Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2004, 06:04 PM

Is there any way to recover trashed items (that have been emptied) with any of the utility software apps provided with the panther OS?

Its not that important that I have to buy software to do this... if its even possible.

Thanks.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 06:11 PM

I've heard it's possible; however, you have to have the software installed "before" the incident happened. You can't use after the fact. I've also heard it has very mixed results...

andrew davidoff
Feb 12, 2004, 07:56 PM

yes, in my experience you need the software installed before you delete the item you want to recover.

basically, when you delete an item the data still remains on the disk, the os just no longer thinks it's data that should be recognized as a file. if that area doesn't get overwritten it can be undeleted, but if it does get overwritten you're generally screwed (as far as consumer products go).

andrew davidoff

Moonray
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 11:40 PM

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 02:25 AM

wow, these threads multiply fast. maybe Apple really needs some kind of thing like this. i haven't needed it, but maybe people are getting used to it on the wintel/wintendo side....stupid System Restore.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Bigfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 10:29 PM

Thank you folks.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

Forum Links
Forum Rules