Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AIFF to MP3 converter or...?

AIFF to MP3 converter or...?
Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 10:27 AM

I'm trying to burn an MP3 CD and have discovered some songs were imported into itunes as aiff's and mp3's (crazy kids). When I choose burn as mp3 in the burning prefs only the mp3s will burn. Is there a way to convert all aiff files to mp3 in itunes or do I need to re-import as mp3? Is there a free batch converter out there somewhere?

Thanks
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

OreoCookie
Sep 17, 2005, 10:40 AM

No, you can convert .aiffs to .mp3 with iTunes. It's in the menu … simply select the songs in question (the easiest way is to add the format column and sort by format, select all .aiffs and then convert them). Depending on how many you want converted, this might take a little time, but with OS X, that doesn't stop you from being productive

Oh, one more thing. You'll have to delete the .aiffs manually, so after conversion, simply select all of them and move them to the trash.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Bigfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 12:47 PM

Jeez that was simple. The one menu I didn't look at.

Thanks for the help
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

parisblue
Jan 28, 2006, 01:17 AM

I know this is a really OLD thread, but it deals with something I am having a problem with and can't seem to find the answer.

How can you convert a .aiff file into an mp3 file using the latest version of iTunes on Tiger?

One additional question, if I have set the playback of a given file to end, say, 3 seconds from the end of the actual recording, when I convert the file into a mp3 format or burn the file onto CD does it leaves those 3 seconds out or do the 3 seconds get converted/burned?

Any help would be much appreciated.

parisblue
Jan 28, 2006, 01:27 AM

OK, found how to convert to mp3 via the "advanced" menu. Will see how the conversion goes by trying it out.

parisblue
Jan 28, 2006, 01:37 AM

And indeed it does NOT convert the extra 3 seconds.

A conversation with myself, but maybe it will help someone down the line.

Forum Links
Forum Rules