Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8.6 installation crash

8.6 installation crash
glyman
May 13, 1999, 12:12 PM

I have a G3 (beige) with 8.5.1 installed. I downloaded 8.6 in the single file format and ran disk first aid and Norton Disk doctor before starting installation - there were no problems with either. All extensions were disabled except for the base 8.5.1. The installer crashed about three quarters through - about three minutes remaining, resulting in no operating system and major hard drive problems. After a clean install of 8.5 I tried the 8.6 installation again with the same result. I had not had any problems with my Mac in the year since I purchased it. It seems to me there is a problem with the installer or with the 8.6. Norton found all kinds of major problems which I believe it has fixed but it had never found a drive problem prior to the attempted installation. Does anyone have any suggestions or had a similar problems. Thank you.

dave_j
May 13, 1999, 12:53 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have successfully installed 8.6 on my 6100 w/ a Newertech G3 upgrade card. I don't know if this will help, but I hope so: I upgraded a minimal 8.5 folder on a zip disk to 8.6. I then started up from the zip disk. From there, I ran the 8.6 update on my hard-drive's System Folder, restarted and everything is fine.

glyman
May 19, 1999, 11:44 AM

Thank you for the reply. I tried your suggestion and started up from the Zip, unfortunately it crashed again during installation on the hard drive. I have now reinstalled 8.5 four times, but I still cannot upgrade. Any other help?
ps I am always amazed how helpful mac users are. If only the rest of life worked as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules