Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > [help] locking down tiger for my 3 y.o. nephew

[help] locking down tiger for my 3 y.o. nephew
shmengie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2006, 03:04 AM

i don't think 3 y.o.'s should be on the puter yet, but his parents and the fine folks at noggin disagree...

so, i set him up with his own logon, which he can do. it's a managed account using simple finder. the only rights he has is to safari and the only page i've allowed is noggin.com. that all works, but...

right now his desktop looks like this: nothing on the desktop except the dock. on the dock is a disabled finder icon, a disabled trash bin, and 3 folders: apps, docs and shared docs. (i'm not there right now so no screenie, sorry). he has to click the apps folder to get to safari and then click on safari.

what i want is either 1) no dock, and just the safari icon or a noggin shortcut on the desktop or 2) nothing on the dock except the safari icon or a a noggin shortcut. so far, i've gone back and forth giving him rights, adding shortcuts, taking away rights, being disappointed, etc...

i don't think it's possible without maybe knowing *nix or maybe a 3rd party app or maybe even automator. anyways, can anyone here advise?

thx!

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2006, 05:54 AM

well, you can drag the noggin.com favicon to the desktop and make a shortcut of Safari by holding down Apple + and the Option key. The dock can be sort of hidden by using Tinkertool and setting the top to the top left or right - making it as small as possible and enable the Dock to hide. This will not completely hide it but just give the illusion. It will then hide under the menubar.

Is this what you're asking ? It seems you have already done everything.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

shmengie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 09:31 AM

thx, fonzie. but, the desktop is locked in simple finder mode: no dragging anything there! i did find an acceptable solution, though, and it's so simple! once logged in to the restricted account, open the 'my apps' folder and launch safari. then, right-click on the safari dock icon and select 'start at login.' ta da!

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2006, 11:50 AM

Cant you drag Safari to the dock? Simple Finder sounds too simple otherhwise!

shmengie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 12:30 PM

nope. no dragging, no aliasing, no nothing! but, it's perfect for a 3 y.o.! (they're fearless and love to try new things. not on my watch!!)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by shmengie
nope. no dragging, no aliasing, no nothing! but, it's perfect for a 3 y.o.! (they're fearless and love to try new things. not on my watch!!)
Actually, you can convert the account to a non-simple Finder (regular) account, set up the dock the way you like it, drag whatever aliases you want to the desktop, and then change it back to the Simple Finder, and the changes you made will stick, and they won't be able to change it.

shmengie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 10:44 AM

hey person man: thx for the tip, but i already tried that. all aliases and shortcuts created with full rights disappear when re-logging in under simple finder. if you've never tried a simple finder account, you should. you can't do anything!

but, like i said, 'start at login' gives me what i wanted.

Forum Links
Forum Rules