Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > XBox 360 getting new "innovative" Dashboard that looks like coverflow

XBox 360 getting new "innovative" Dashboard that looks like coverflow
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 03:42 PM

Brilliant, creative, original minds they got working over there.
Not that I don't want a new interface as the current one is the worst one on the market but I was hoping for once they would come up with something of their own.

I'll skip the rants on the Wii like Avatars.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/14/m...new-dashboard/
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Jul 14, 2008 at 04:04 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 04:02 PM

Meh, not a fan of the current 'blade' look but this isn't much better.

Ditto on the bizarre 'Mii' look alike.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 04:06 PM

Good point been made on their comments - What happens to the current dashboard themes that you've bought? Maybe gamer pics if they are getting replaced by avatars. And is the new dashboard skinnable at all?

As for the new look, well I like it, I always thought the Sony XMB made dashboard look old and silly, now its about evens.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 04:45 PM

More details of the coming update

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/...plus-more.aspx

Here is a look at some additional features you will find interesting:

· Play from hard drive. Copy your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game.

· Access Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web. Browse and purchase Marketplace content whenever you want from Xbox.com and it downloads automatically to your console. Purchase that new map, television episode, the latest Xbox LIVE Arcade game or set up a movie to watch when you get home from work.

· Dashboard built into the new Xbox Guide. For everyone who loves the blades interface, it’s not going away; they are now built directly in to the new Xbox guide. Every feature and option is available right from the guide. You can even access your full games library at all times. No matter where you are (in dash or in game), immediately call up your games played list and directly launch a game.

· LIVE Party system. Create a party of up to eight friends, and stay with them from one game to another, or watch a Netflix movie together, or share a slideshow of your personal photos. It works with all Xbox 360 titles, not just upcoming games. LIVE Party allows up to eight people to chat in the dashboard, so you can meet up before playing.

· Xbox LIVE Primetime. This whole new category of games is going to give you more reasons to get online with your friends. Games will support everything you’d expect, like Achievements and leader boards, but many of these games will include real prizes. You can invite your friends, and even set a reminder for an upcoming show. Each game is broadcast simultaneously, so everyone is answering the same questions. Many events will have a live host, calling the shots as they happen.

· Avatars. Your online identity started as a Gamertag - it then grew into a personalized Gamercard. Now, it has evolved even further into avatars. You can express your style, check out new outfits and share this with the community. Avatars will also be integrated into Xbox LIVE Arcade games, LIVE Party, as well as retail games.

· New display support. Because you asked for it, we are adding 16X10 over VGA or HDMI, and support for 1440x900 or 1680x1050.
Question: Whats 16x10 over VGA? I run my 360 on a Dell 2407 with the VGA cable. Will it support 1920x1200 now as well as 'letterbox' 1920x1080?

moep
Senior User
Jul 14, 2008, 04:51 PM

My first thought when I saw the screenshot was "Wii meets Coverflow".

Of all the Dashboards out now I personally like the look and feel of the Sony XMB best. No-nonsense and rather intuitive, although it seems to me like the new Xbox Dashboard will use a similar navigation-tree (up/down for sections, left/right for the submenus. pure speculation of course.)
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 05:59 PM

That looks like a giant bland mess of gray, way worse than the blades (which I have no problem with). I will not be updating if it looks remotely close to that screenshot.

moep
Senior User
Jul 14, 2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
I will not be updating if it looks remotely close to that screenshot.
Heh, knowing the company I doubt they will leave that choice to the customers.
You will probably have to put up with the new Dashboard or pass on the multiplayer/live functionality, maybe later on even new games.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 07:58 PM

Personally I hate the current interface. I'm okay with the blades as a navigational tool, but the way MS vomits all over their navigation with ads and fat borders and wasted space makes me cringe. I hate looking at the interface. What these screenshots are lacking (and I'm sure its intentional) is the ads they will surely have in there. They will turn what we see here into a cluttered disgusting mess, you can be sure.

MS has never ever ever been able to design a clean, pleasant looking user interface on their own. Even when they straight up copy someone else they manage to screw it up by taking a giant dump all over it with ads and MS logos.

I love my Xbox for the sweet games. I hate MS for their seemingly unending failures at clean design.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 09:44 PM

Agreed; it doesn't scream "i'm a game geek" and is actually usable for adults.

Originally Posted by moep View Post
I personally like the look and feel of the Sony XMB best. No-nonsense and rather intuitive)
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 11:34 AM

I also like the PS3's interface by far.

JayMan8081
Jul 15, 2008, 03:40 PM

I think the new interface is crap. But apparently I'm one of the few fans of the current Blades interface. I also agree that they ripped off everything for the new interface from other sources.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by JayMan8081 View Post
But apparently I'm one of the few fans of the current Blades interface.
The main problem is those blades take up 40% of the screen even though they just have one word in it. The rest is filled with ads which is typical MS.

The actual content is like 20%.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The main problem is those blades take up 40% of the screen even though they just have one word in it. The rest is filled with ads which is typical MS.

The actual content is like 20%.
That's my biggest problem with the current interface. There is tons of wasted space. Too many thick borders, all different sized buttons, and as you said the blades take up way too much space. Why do I need to see the edges of the blades I'm not viewing.

I like where MS is going with the new interface, but I'm holding any praise until its released. I'm almost sure they'll muck it up with ads and crap.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 06:34 PM

Major Nelson's Flickr account has pictures of a themed interface (current theme images will carry over to the new layout), marketplace screen and downloads screen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majorne...n/photostream/

At least it still has themes and not just grey backgrounds.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 06:42 PM

Half the screen is still wasted space.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 06:51 PM

It looks to me like this new interface wastes an inordinate amount of screen space.

edit: Haha, Dakar beat me to that comment.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 02:17 AM

I wouldn't trust my interface to a powerpoint slideshow !!

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It looks to me like this new interface wastes an inordinate amount of screen space.

edit: Haha, Dakar beat me to that comment.
Yep but now it looks like it was from Apple which was MS's goal when they made the hardware.

I do like the new interface as anything is better than the old one but I am with ::maroma:: in the thinking that they will muck it up with ads to earn that tiny extra bit of money to add to the pile.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 06:53 AM

I love the new interface, and really dig the load from hard disk feature
we don't have time to stop for gas

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 11:46 AM

I'm nuetral on the new interface. I need to see it before I really make a judgement. The old one is so cluttered and unintuitive. there are about 4 ways to access everything. It's just a mess. hopefully this will tighten things up. We'll see.

I like the idea of copying my game to the hard drive. No more jet engine DVD drive noises! I might have to actually buy a bigger drive just for that.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I like the idea of copying my game to the hard drive. No more jet engine DVD drive noises! I might have to actually buy a bigger drive just for that.
QFT. Good lord that thing is loud.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
QFT. Good lord that thing is loud.
Ya but who wants to bone up that much money for those special XBOX hard drives. Not to mention you won't even be able to fit that many games on it.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 12:17 PM

Can you use external USB hard drives for game installs?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Can you use external USB hard drives for game installs?
I seriously doubt that. You also have to keep the game disk in the tray for copyright reasons, I just hope it doesn't spin it up for long.

Forum Links
Forum Rules