Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 12" pb g4 networking is toast! what are my options?

12" pb g4 networking is toast! what are my options?
ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 29, 2009, 01:54 PM

hi all. so it seems that my 12" g4 powerbook has some serious networking issues. first, the airport extreme card wouldn't connect to my network (it actually says it is connected but it is not taking an internal ip), then i noticed that using the ethernet connection to wire it didn't work either. in both cases, system preferences says that they networking connection are in use and working, but in both cases it is not taking an ip from my aeb. any ideas on what is going on? after it stopped working for weeks, it magically started working for maybe a week, then it stopped working again. i have all the latest updates for 10.5.6 and have run iceclean on it to tidy up permissions, etc.

i was thinking of buying a replacement airport card, but the wired connection doesn't work either. any ideas on what is wrong or what i can do? thanks.

Cold Warrior
Mar 29, 2009, 02:01 PM

create a new user. Does the new user have wireless or wired capability?

Do you have static IP or MAC address filtering enabled on your AEBS?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 29, 2009, 02:32 PM

And have you restarted the PB since this started happening?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Mar 29, 2009, 03:14 PM

i tried creating a new user; same result (it self-assigns an ip).

no static ip or mac filtering on the aebs.

yes, i've restarted maybe a million times.

Cold Warrior
Mar 29, 2009, 03:38 PM

In your Network system preferences, click the + button to add a new service. Airport interface, etc. Use that one to see if it works to connect to your wifi network.

If that doesn't work, my own personal next step would be an archive-install of Leopard.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 29, 2009, 03:48 PM

Also, you've tried unplugging the AEBS and plugging it back in? My Netgear sometimes needs a reboot for no apparent reason - always happens when I can't be bothered to go and unplug it.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Mar 29, 2009, 05:31 PM

thanks.

i tried adding the new service, no luck.

aebs works fine with all the other computers, so it isn't the problem.

i'd archive and re-install the os, but does that seem to make any sense? when it started working out of the blue, after not working for weeks, i was able to download and install the 10.5.6 update and all other recent updates.

i thought the airport card died, but the ethernet port is also not working, and i believe the two are separate, right?

when i pull the system info, i see the airport card and the ethernet card, so i assume that they are not totally dead, right?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 29, 2009, 05:51 PM

The AEBS may work with other computers but reject one due to some quirky reason. A reboot doesn't cost anything.

Cold Warrior
Mar 29, 2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
i'd archive and re-install the os, but does that seem to make any sense? when it started working out of the blue, after not working for weeks, i was able to download and install the 10.5.6 update and all other recent updates.
It's an option in the troubleshooting process that is often a last step to rule out software as the culprit.

You mentioned you were also able to download the 10.5.6 update. Another solid troubleshooting step is to download the combo updater and install it, even if that's what you used to bring yourself to 10.5.6 previously.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Mar 29, 2009, 08:22 PM

perhaps you are right, but it has been rebooted several times (usually because my dsl provider forces something or i tweak the vonage adapter and just reset everything).

Forum Links
Forum Rules