Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3.1 wishlist thread

iPhone 3.1 wishlist thread (Page 2)
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Have you tried the Airplane mode trick? In addition to preventing phone calls, etc, it cuts way down on battery use.
This is the most logical solution, for now.
Time for some testing...
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
I understood. But I turn my phone off for a reason.
I know exactly what you mean, believe me. No distractions, interruptions, etc...

I'll try the airplane mode idea, that seems to make the most practical sense.
Either that, or I spring for a cheap portable alarm clock.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I know exactly what you mean, believe me. No distractions, interruptions, etc...

I'll try the airplane mode idea, that seems to make the most practical sense.
Either that, or I spring for a cheap portable alarm clock.
I use the airplane mode at night. Saves battery as well. And as a bonus: less radiation that goes into my brain at night !

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2009, 01:42 PM

Airplane mode is the way to go to use the alarm clock.

I've just ordered a Bluetooth stereo headset, for use with my iPhone and with home and work Macs, so I'm hoping they fix the AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile) for 3.1 so that the remote can fully control the handset. AVRCP works on OS X Bluetooth, but there's apparently some kind of bug in the iPhone software, so its disabled til they fix it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

happyeveryday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2009, 09:04 PM

I'd like group SMS to be sent as a group SMS instead of 1 MMS as it is now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2009, 09:20 PM

That makes no sense.

happyeveryday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2009, 09:23 PM

Exactly, it doesn't. According to Apple, its supposed to be a 'feature' to help you save text messages while sending a group message.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2009, 02:01 AM

No, I mean I have no idea what you're saying.

Group SMS were possible with 2.0, no? Those were saved as an MMS - even though 2.0 wasn't capable of MMS? Huh?

What do multiple recipients have to do with whether a message is an SMS or an MMS?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2009, 02:34 AM

It's a bug in 3.0. Apparantly (on some iphones, mine doesn't do it*) it changes the message type to MMS if you add multiple recipients to your SMS.

*I did a "clean install". Restore without using backup. Maybe that has something to do with it...

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2009, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
That might case delays and dropped connections. Also what if you are already on a call? Edge can't handle voice and data plus it will drop the call.
It would be something you would opt into to preserve your battery life, but still get best performance in the apps you selected to include in your "3G list" - e.g. I could take a delay in starting up my browser for a few seconds if it meant my session was going to be faster overall but I have zero need for my phone calls to be 3G whose signal is often far worse than the GPRS one and drops more frequently. Fwiw, this would be a middle ground between having 3G off all the time or 3G on all the time and I wasn't suggesting it would work like this by default.

Originally Posted by kylef
@JKT - what about applications that would benefit from 3G? eg. Tweetie / Wikipanion etc.
You would have the option to include or exclude apps in the list that you want to use 3G.

Originally Posted by kylef
Turn on restrictions (Settings > General > Restrictions). You can turn off Safari, YouTube, iTunes, the App Store, Camera, and the Location Feature.

Problem solved? Quite a few people have talked about wanting to remove Safari too. It's right there.
I didn't realise it removed the apps from the springboard, so thanks. However, it won't help as I can't set another browser as my default for third party apps to open in the place of Safari. So, alas, it is currently impossible to disable Safari and not have a crippled iPhone as a result.

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2009, 02:05 PM

Call with Edit - I often have phone numbers that I need to edit before I call them. For example, someone in the US has their number at the bottom of an email but they don't have the +1 in front of it and I'm calling from France. At the moment, there is no way to do this. You have to remember the number as you can't even paste into the phone number field.
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2009, 03:05 PM

minor issue: when using the Apple composite cable for the iPhone, it would be nice if everything could be displayed onto the monitor - not just videos in iTunes and YouTube, but games, apps, etc... Playlists and album view from iTunes would be nice too.

thibaulthalpern
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2009, 06:28 PM

Battery life?
I'm apparently beating a dead horse here, so I'll continue using my Samsung along with my iPhone when I travel.
Look, you can change your understanding in the following way and you'll see that people aren't misunderstanding your request.

Let me lay out your situation as I understand it (and I do believe my depiction of it is accurate):
1. You want to be able to turn off the phone, but
2. You also want the alarm clock to be able to wake up the phone when the alarm rings.

Have you actually considered that in that scenario, when you "turn off" your phone you're actually putting it on stand by? If the phone were actually entirely off with no battery current going through it wouldn't be able to (a) turn itself "on", and (b) wouldn't be able to keep the clock running. So, in fact, what your Samsung phone is doing is actually going on "standby" and not actually "off".

Got that?

Thus, people's solution to you actually solves your problem. Their solution was:
1. Switch the iPhone to airplane mode thereby turning off all network reception
2. Set your alarm clock
3. Put your iPhone into standby mode by pressing on the top button

This basically puts the iPhone into standby mode and is EXACTLY the same as that Samsung phone of your with the exception that perhaps Samsung calls this mode "off" when it actually isn't fully off.

Got it?

I hope so.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2009, 06:00 AM

Let developers show routes in their embedded maps as well as locations. Currently they can't do both and they have to launch you into Google Maps to show you route information.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Look,
Got that?

Thus,
Got it?

I hope so.
Get this - you know nothing about electronics engineering. Data can be stored in low power ROM which can trigger the phone on/off to full boot. Lastly, This is a WISHLIST.
( Last edited by osiris; Jun 23, 2009 at 10:04 AM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 03:33 PM

Okay, here's a few quickies now that I've actually had an iPhone for a week...

1. Make Live Updating work. (see my other thread)

2. I want to be able to use multiple pictures for my wallpaper. I should be able to set up a folder of pics and have it cycle between them.

3. I want to be able to sort my apps in a better way. You should be able to toggle the view mode. Sort alphabetically, sort by category, favorites... it would also be nice to have a label appear on the screen. So "Games" would appear in text at the top of the screen while you cycle thru all of your games. You would be able to assign a label to every app and then have the phone automatically sort them by label.

4. I want a more useful way to interact with the "iPod" on the iPhone. I find the current interface somewhat lacking. It's real cool to have huge album art, but it's not very practical. I want three interface modes...

Mode 1: The one they have now... to keep everyone happy...
Mode 2: Smaller album art, larger song information. Have the star ratings and time left displayed on the screen as well as the playlist and everything else. Basically just mimic the interface of a current iPod classic.
Mode 3: A dumbed down mode with HUGE interface buttons. The top would be the album art and info very small and there would be enormous play, skip and back buttons. And a progress slider. I find it annoying to hit those little buttons and this would help.

I would also love the ability to TURN OFF album flow or whatever it's called when you turn it sideways... Which brings me to...

4. I want to be able to turn off the rotation on any app I want to. Or adjust the sensitivity. Or something. It just doesn't feel right. It either flips when I don't want it to... or won't flip when I do want it to. It just feels a little wonky to me.

5. I would like to be able to passcode protect certain apps. Anyone who picks up my phone can thumb thru my email? Blech. I know I can protect the whole phone with a passcode, but I find that kind of annoying also. Let me lock my mail.

6. I want to be able to assign nicknames to contacts for voice dialing. I would also like to be able to tell voice dialing to ignore certain people. There are 4 Jim's in my phone, and there is only one who I want to call every day. I want to be able to call my mom "mom". Not Janis. Yet I don't want to call her mom in my contact list because that's dumb. Let me give her a nickname.

7. Don't have the App store dump me out everytime I download something. That's annoying too.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 03:34 PM

I want profiles and I want the phone to switch between them on a timer.

M-F: 9am to 6pm = WORK PROFILE... No goofy ringtones. Every call just gets a beep.
From MIDNIGHT to 7AM = SILENT PROFILE... The phone does not ring
Every other time = default settings

And give me a button to quickly toggle between them.

As well as a button to quickly toggle between 2G and 3G
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 25, 2009 at 03:57 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I want profiles and I want the phone to switch between them on a timer.

M-F: 9am to 6pm = WORK PROFILE... No goofy ringtones. Every call just gets a beep.
From MIDNIGHT to 7AM = SILENT PROFILE... The phone does not ring
Every other time = default settings

And give me a button to quickly toggle between them.

As well as a button to quickly toggle between 2G and 3G
I agree, that would be nice.

I have not seen a cell phone in my life that has profiles that can be put on a schedule. Obviously seems like a great feature, I just don't know why this hasn't happened yet.

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 10:46 PM

I thought of another one today - adblock in Safari. Yes, I know that there are people here who are stringently morally opposed to blocking ads. However, one is very, very unlikely to click an ad when viewing a page in a tiny browser on a tiny screen, and adblock would speed up the load time of many sites considerably, especially when browsing on EDGE or 3G.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2009, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
4. I want to be able to turn off the rotation on any app I want to. Or adjust the sensitivity. Or something. It just doesn't feel right. It either flips when I don't want it to... or won't flip when I do want it to. It just feels a little wonky to me.
Seconded.

You're not the only one who thinks it feels a litte wonky.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2009, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
It's a bug in 3.0. Apparantly (on some iphones, mine doesn't do it*) it changes the message type to MMS if you add multiple recipients to your SMS.

*I did a "clean install". Restore without using backup. Maybe that has something to do with it...
I fixed it using a custom ipcc which also enables tethering.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2009, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I thought of another one today - adblock in Safari. Yes, I know that there are people here who are stringently morally opposed to blocking ads. However, one is very, very unlikely to click an ad when viewing a page in a tiny browser on a tiny screen, and adblock would speed up the load time of many sites considerably, especially when browsing on EDGE or 3G.
Use a better browser (iCab mobile) and you can do this and a lot more now.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2009, 06:13 AM

iCab Mobile solves that problem, but introduces several of its own.

I'd prefer Apple add blocking to Safari than have to switch back an forth between two 'semi-complete' browsers. I know it's unlikely though.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
iCab Mobile solves that problem, but introduces several of its own.

I'd prefer Apple add blocking to Safari than have to switch back an forth between two 'semi-complete' browsers. I know it's unlikely though.
I don't find iCab to be semi-complete at all (perhaps you could say why in the earlier iCab thread rather than here). Stability is also greatly improved since OS 3.0 in my experience which is the only really major problem I had left with it.

I don't think Apple will ever include ad blocking in Safari - they haven't done it on the desktop since its inception so it seems extremely unlikely they will do it for the mobile version either. IANAL, but I imagine that they can't - they'd probably leave themselves open to some form of lawsuit from the advertising industry due to Safari being bundled with the OS, which other browsers don't face because people have to opt to use them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2009, 07:00 AM

As I said, I don't consider it likely they'll add it. Indeed, they haven't done it on desktop Safari themselves. But they have allowed for others to add it on top - SafariBlock for example is an excellent free tool.

I know the iPhone is different in terms of add-ons and plug-ins but I'm confident there will eventually be something. Safari in OS 3.0 is already a lot better than it used to be. If ad blocking could somehow be added it would be awesome.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2009, 11:24 AM

Hmm, I would not consider an abuse of the InputManager system like SafariBlock as something that Apple would view as "allowing" (given that they state that they do not offer any support to people who use any hacks on their system when updating) but, regardless, this is a third-party solution that users have to opt-into rather than one that is supplied by Apple themselves. I would be extremely surprised if Apple ever offer their own built-in one. However, if they did, it would indeed be welcome.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2009, 11:33 AM

Abuse?

Whatever.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2009, 01:29 PM

Yes, abuse. It is called InputManager and not Inject my spurious, unwanted code into every app on your systemManager for a reason.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2009, 03:27 PM

Oh yeah, that's real abuse. Thank God you don't have to put up with such abuse. You are free to view all the ads you want in desktop Safari.

Thanks, but I'll gladly stick with the "abuse".

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2009, 07:44 PM

I prefer to use a browser that has ad blocking built-in so I don't use Safari and I definitely do not use any InputManagers that are not InputManagers on any of my systems, mainly because they have caused my other apps to randomly **** up in the past. That is an abuse of my system I do not wish to put up with.

In case you aren't aware, Input Managers are only meant to be used for text input methods and nothing else. They are not meant to be used to modify aspects of particular applications that have nothing to do with input of text (and from what I understand, Apple are finally going to get rid of them altogether in Snow Leopard).

Further reading:

MacJournals News : Input Managers are not 'plug-ins'
TidBITS : Are Input Managers the Work of the Devil?

Apple's own recommendations regarding problems with Safari and Logic (includes removal of third party InputManagers):

Mac OS X 10.5: What you can do if Safari quits unexpectedly
Safari add-ons can cause performance issues or other situations
Logic: Third-party appearance themes, input managers, or other system modification software may cause issues with opening files

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2009, 03:29 AM

Dude, give it a rest. I know what Input Managers were intended for. I can deal with using them for ad blocking in Safari - which for the record has not once caused any problems here, and believe me I'm keeping an eye on it. IMHO your Input Manager rant was overly dramatic and hysterical. Relax. Nobody is forcing you to do anything you don't want. You OTOH are in no position to tell others how to run their systems. Keep that in mind.

So now. Regarding the iPhone (which is what this thread is actually about). I think you have had your chance to thoroughly plug iCab. Despite the lack of ad blocking I prefer Safari for several reasons (as mentioned in the iCab thread). And I'm confident there will be a way to get ad blocking in Mobile Safari at some point in the future. The /etc/hosts approach is something I'm looking into right now.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 27, 2009 at 04:22 AM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2009, 10:28 AM

Back on topic then…

The ability to set the volume of alarms independently of the volume set for the speaker. An option for alarms that increase in volume rather than staying at one setting.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Back on topic then…

The ability to set the volume of alarms independently of the volume set for the speaker. An option for alarms that increase in volume rather than staying at one setting.
There's an app for that.

smoak5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2009, 10:50 AM

when using mobile safari and you need the keyboard to pop up (such as entering a URL or hitting the google search), it would be nice to be able to rotate the keyboard from portrait to landscape and back. i have to cancel my text input, rotate to landscape mode first then i am able to get the keyboard in landscape mode....

frecht0deth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2009, 01:21 AM

Hello all, these are a few things I would like to see happen in update 3.1 or any update for that matter (please)

1. Landscape all aspects of the iPhone; including anything that involves typing and viewing something. It makes things easier to view.
2. More customization/personalization. that is, being able to slip the actual background of your iPhone from the ordinary black to some more comfortable, if you know what I mean.
3. Some people have mentioned the annoyance of taking self-portraits with their iPhones. I have too found this a big problem because the snap button is centered near the bottom of the screen, which forces you to hold your phone in a dangerous position; let alone it makes it really uncomfortable to even complete that task.
4. I saw someone had mentioned that some of the standard iPhone apps should be collasped into each other, like: Phone & Contacts, Camera & Photos. This should be done because it would/could leave room for better standard apps?
5. Finally MMS support?
Thanks for reading, and hopefully these wishes are granted, lol!

frecht0deth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2009, 01:22 AM

This makes a lot of sense. I found myself doing this as well, lol.

Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2009, 01:46 AM

I want to be able to delete Apple's apps. Voice Memos, Notes, Clock, Stocks, gone. They waste space.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by frecht0deth View Post
5. Finally MMS support?
We've had this since March?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:16 AM

I'd want to see Apple fix that nasty Safari bug that appends 'lol' to every post.

moep
Senior User
Aug 6, 2009, 05:47 AM

1. Put the shutter button in the camera app somewhere much more practical (e.g. nearer the centre of the shot so you can press it with your thumb, but making it translucent so that it doesn't interfere with your view). That way I wouldn't feel as though I was in danger of dropping my several hundred pound investment whenever I take a portrait photo with only one hand...
The volume-buttons should also be remapped to trigger the shutter while in Camera mode.
It would make so much sense when holding the phone in Landscape mode.

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'd want to see Apple fix that nasty Safari bug that appends 'lol' to every post.
seconded lol
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by frecht0deth View Post
4. I saw someone had mentioned that some of the standard iPhone apps should be collasped into each other, like: Phone & Contacts, Camera & Photos. This should be done because it would/could leave room for better standard apps?
It would be nice, this.

They could merge Videos/Music on the touch together into an iPod app like on the iPhone, as well.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2009, 03:54 AM

^ I'll second both suggestions.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Not on AT&T they haven't

frecht0deth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
what i meant was, for at&t to finally let us send picture messages!

frecht0deth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2009, 03:09 PM

plus, i think iPhone should have its own kind of messaging app. I guess ichat would work best because you can use your aim username with it

frecht0deth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2009, 03:12 PM

This is the most logical solution, for now.
Time for some testing...
yeah, whenever im on the train, i put my phone into airplane mode. it conserves battery because the phone would constantly search for a signal where there is obviously none.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2009, 09:05 PM

Not on AT&T they haven't
Then why don't they just switch provider? Oh wait…

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2009, 06:02 PM

Ooh, I just thought of another one: ability to move messages between IMAP accounts in Mail.

This is one of those things that I first tried on the Mac figuring it probably wouldn't work at all. Then it just did, and it was one of those moments of appreciation for Apple's attention to detail. But on the iPhone, you can only move a message to another folder within the same IMAP account.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2009, 12:26 AM

I'd like to be able to switch language and number format independently of each other.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2009, 01:45 AM

I'd like a menu like in OSX showing all networks that are remembered, and the ability to set order of preference etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules