Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MATLAB for MacOS X help!

MATLAB for MacOS X help!
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2004, 11:26 AM

Hi,

I just bought MATLAB (student version) and I think it is a great tool for me as an engineer. How ever I have not been able to run it on my 12PB.

I know I meet all of the requirements that program asks for...except the intalling X11 before. Although before I installed MATLAB I did a search on my HD and found an installer for X11SDK (with an open box icon) and so I procced to install. The instalation went well. The I install MATLAB and it went well as well.

I tried launching MATLAB and the icon starts bouncing on the dock, then so a second the X11 icon appears on the dock, but then is gone, and the MATLAB icon keeps bouncing for a while then it stops.

Any idea on what is wrong...I am thinking I don't have X11 install correcly or something. I am running 10.3.6, thanks for any help in advance.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2004, 12:02 PM

If you've installed X11 (not just the SDK), it should be at
file:///Applications/Utilities/X11.app

If you do not have it, I think X11 is an optional install somewhere on the Panther CDs. You can also download it from Apple.

Enjoy MATLAB, it's wonderful -- except for the stupid requirement of keeping the Documentation CD in your drive.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2004, 01:37 PM

GOT IT!

Great it is working now...thank you very much.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2007, 08:42 PM

So i got a new McaBook a while ago and I tried opening Matlab and it wouldn't work, so I dleted it and installed it again, found out that I did not have X11 in my new machine so I installed that too...

now I try opeining matlab and the X11 icon appears on the dock it tried to open Matlab and then it closes it self...

Any ideas of what is wrong?

timmerk
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2007, 10:40 PM

Anyone know if the latest Matlab (Student version) nrsu under 10.5 on Intel machines?

Thanks

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2007, 11:01 PM

What is logged when the app quits? You can check on this by opening up your Console Application, which is in your Utilities folder, or else monitoring the logs in /var/log.

Just like X11 under 10.3, you need to install X11. It is an optional install (not installed by default).

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2007, 04:34 PM

I am not sure if the version of Matlab I have (7.0.1) runs on the Intel Macs...it used to run perfect on my PB12 G4....anyone knows if there is a patch or update ?

I really don't want to drop another $100 bucks on this app.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 04:53 PM

Out of curiosity, what does Matlab do that Mathematica (a proper OS X app) doesn't?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules