Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro backlight

MacBook Pro backlight
shdwghst457
Oct 17, 2009, 02:12 AM

Hey guys, got a strange problem here. just reassembled one of my macbook pros (2.33GHz 17") and after reassembling the display, screwing in the hinges etc i put it together without the top case screws (all other screws in place, such as the display cable grounding one) and it worked fine, but when i screwed in the top case and booted again, the backlight was out and i smelled that awful "you just broke something" odor coming seemingly from the left fan. i promptly swapped the inverter board but that didn't help. and it's definitely just the backlight because i can still see the display functioning. any ideas on what to swap next? i have a complete(ly disassembled) core duo 17" to pull parts from, but i know that the cable that the inverter/isight etc run through isn't compatible (different connector to the LB) any help will be much appreciated!!

kevin

shdwghst457  (op)
Oct 17, 2009, 02:08 PM

and it's a fairly faint smell, way stronger on the left side. *snip*
( Last edited by seanc; Oct 27, 2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: removed note)

shdwghst457  (op)
Oct 20, 2009, 11:50 AM

no one has any clue what it might be?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 28, 2009, 05:21 PM

Some cable got folded in the reassembly. Routed slightly incorrectly so it was pinched when the final screws were put back, or a screw went into it directly. Cable shorted and burned - the cable might be the only damaged component - you would be smelling the insulation that got cooked.

Disassemble and look closer - if you smelled something, then there will be visible damage somewhere.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2009, 06:02 PM

Look at black coloured components, they may not originally have been black, also check them for any residue that may be a scorch mark.

Forum Links
Forum Rules