Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Student in High School? You Don't Get A Student Discount

Student in High School? You Don't Get A Student Discount (Page 7)
TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by pintamino
Yeah, I'm sure the close to $1000 you spend on a fraternity is ENTIRELY NESSECARY. Oh, yeah, and the $$$$$ for 'Social Activities', you really need that, too, if you're so strapped for cash.

And I'm going to be going to college in two years! If I save the money now, it's going right into my college savings fund! I work just as hard as you do every day. No, scratch that, I work harder, and if Apple's giving college students a discount, I deserve one every bit as much as any other college student does.
I wasn't argueing that I was strapped for cash. You were the the one complaining about how you had all these things that you need to pay for and how they were so expensive.

I don't see how you can call my fraternity dues not necessary when you pay for horses and entrance fees to horse shows. Its not like those dues are spent on crap either. They pay for the building fund, insurence, risk management, scholastics, community service, etc. Even if you do say its unnecessary, that still leaves over 39000 dollars.

And yeah, i sure you work so much harder than me...

In all honestly, if you think your working so hard now, wait until you get to college and then get back to me.

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
And then you post some nonsense about investing $1000 in a fraternity...just because some losers can't make friends or get drinking buddies or find people to haze any other way.
Thanks for the assumptions. Hmm, what did I do last friday? Oh yeah, thats right, I spent 4 hours moving weights and setting up for destination imagination. What did I do saturday? Oh yeah, I spent 7 hours collecting and running scores for them. Saturday night? Spent another 4 hours moving weights back. And 2 weekends before that? I spent my saturday doing habitat for humanity. The 22nd i think I have Worcester City Cleanup. How many times have I been hazed? Zero. Hazing is stupid.

My boss was in a sorority. She doesn't stay in contact with A SINGLE ONE of her 'sisters' and she graduated 12 years ago. There are plenty of ways to socialize without spending a ton of money.
First off, less than 10 percent of my dues go to anything considered "social activities". Most of it go to risk management, community service, insurence, Bills, public relations, etc.

Second, I am glad you have one example of someone in a greek system who doesn't stay close to their organization. I am sure this is how it always works.

I didn't come into this thread thinking I would have to defend being in a fraternity. You listed the horse stuff and the car, etc. Well guess what? I don't have car, I don't pay insurence, and I don't pay for horses. I do pay for my apartment, my food, my tuition, my bills, my clothes, and the computer I am typing this on. College Costs > High School Costs. Its as simple as that. I am not complaining about how I am strapped for cash, I just stating the facts.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 9, 2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
A lot of people seem to accuse others of stuff they do themselves too.
meh Cody gets attacked by all the She Man Woman Haters in here enough for one to single this situation out.

In other words, it's gotten silly.

gerardwaysgirl13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by TheMosco
I don't see how you can call my fraternity dues not necessary when you pay for horses and entrance fees to horse shows. Its not like those dues are spent on crap either. They pay for the building fund, insurence, risk management, scholastics, community service, etc. Even if you do say its unnecessary, that still leaves over 39000 dollars.

And yeah, i sure you work so much harder than me...

In all honestly, if you think your working so hard now, wait until you get to college and then get back to me.

First off, less than 10 percent of my dues go to anything considered "social activities". Most of it go to risk management, community service, insurence, Bills, public relations, etc.

Second, I am glad you have one example of someone in a greek system who doesn't stay close to their organization. I am sure this is how it always works.

I didn't come into this thread thinking I would have to defend being in a fraternity. You listed the horse stuff and the car, etc. Well guess what? I don't have car, I don't pay insurence, and I don't pay for horses. I do pay for my apartment, my food, my tuition, my bills, my clothes, and the computer I am typing this on. College Costs > High School Costs. Its as simple as that. I am not complaining about how I am strapped for cash, I just stating the facts.
Do we want to get into the fact that I go to a private high school... or my friend who came from NYC who was paying more than 20k in tuition a year... probably not. More than likely you're too drunk to understand what I'm talking about anyway.

Wow, yeah, I'm sure you work harder than me. Considering I'm already taking college courses and all. AND compete on top of work and school (this might be a new idea to you, do something active and worthwhile with your time. don't take it personally. i'm sure you enjoy building homes for illegal immigrants and trailer trash.)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2006, 09:46 PM

Do we want to get into the fact that I go to a private high school... or my friend who came from NYC who was paying more than 20k in tuition a year... probably not. More than likely you're too drunk to understand what I'm talking about anyway.

Wow, yeah, I'm sure you work harder than me. Considering I'm already taking college courses and all. AND compete on top of work and school (this might be a new idea to you, do something active and worthwhile with your time. don't take it personally. i'm sure you enjoy building homes for illegal immigrants and trailer trash.)
No one forced you to go to a private high school. High school education is free. College education is not.

The campus I am transferring from had neither drinking nor frats. It was also over $30,000 a year to attend (To be fair, I had an $18,000 per year scholarship, which I didn't get for not working). I had no hobbies that required money simply because I could not afford them. You, on the other hand, do. Being the smart person I am, I decided that this school was too expensive. I'm now transferring, Does this mean I have money now? Nope, I'm saving up money for the next campus and renting a place.

You really need to watch what you say about college students. You have no idea what you're talking about (Animal House is fiction, I hate to break it to you...). You're going to have all the college students flaming you on this board very shortly.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2006, 11:15 PM

I'll second goMac here. Do not meddle in the affairs of Undergraduates, for we are hot-tempered and quick to anger. And, I might add, work like dogs.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 11:28 PM

My hat's off for the average undergraduate.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 12:47 AM

I went to a private hs too. Guess what? My dads a high school teacher and my mom doesn't work. I have 2 older brothers. You think thats easy to pay for? You don't know anything about me and you are calling me a drunk.

Here is a little tidbit about myself. I just got layed off after working 2 years a software company. I worked so hard I actually got hired as an employee instead of just an intern. I am 19 and have a 401k. I just got layed off because they closed the entire boston office. I have an interview at a company this week thats going to be an hour and half commute on a good day.

I am also trying to double major in computer science and management in 4 years at a tech school where almost none of my requirements overlap. I am also trying to get into the 5 year BS/MS program so I can get my masters. We can fight about this all you want but you are not going to convince me you somehow work harder than me.

And its nice for you take a shot at me building houses for low income families. It was also nice that you assumed that they were illegal immigrants or trailer trash because they actually weren't. The woman was really nice and grateful for what everyone was doing.

I feel stupid even arguing about so this because I never actually said I work harder than you so I will again just state the facts:

College Costs > High School Costs

There is no comparison...

[edit for grammar]
( Last edited by TheMosco; Apr 10, 2006 at 01:11 AM. )
AXP
ΔΣΦ

volcano
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 01:07 AM

More than likely you're too drunk to understand what I'm talking about anyway.

(this might be a new idea to you, do something active and worthwhile with your time. don't take it personally. i'm sure you enjoy building homes for illegal immigrants and trailer trash.)
Completely uncalled for. Why do you make such brash, unfounded generalizations about people?

Does anyone even know what we're supposed to be talking about anymore?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 01:17 AM

Damn, before you know it, you'll have grey hair and need a hip replacement.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 06:29 AM

Somebody beat me to the punch on the eMac. I still want one though. But really, lets calm down.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2006, 06:58 AM

You might want to look into taking a course teaching you how not to be an ignorant idiot. Habitat for Humanity is one of the most worthwhile charities in North America.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 10:21 AM

Do we want to get into the fact that I go to a private high school... or my friend who came from NYC who was paying more than 20k in tuition a year... probably not.

Wow, yeah, I'm sure you work harder than me. Considering I'm already taking college courses and all. AND compete on top of work and school
Are you bragging? Private high school is an investment that has arguably less long-term payoff. It MIGHT give you a small edge in college admissions, but even this is debatable. When you start applying for jobs or graduate school (Law, Medical, etc.), the college matters, not the high school.

And, for kids on the high school honor track, plenty take college courses. Where are you taking them and which are you taking?

Oh, and if you, like Cody's son, are taking college classes and have an I.D. or transcript, you qualify for the discount. Duh.

(this might be a new idea to you, do something active and worthwhile with your time. don't take it personally. i'm sure you enjoy building homes for illegal immigrants and trailer trash.)

More than likely you're too drunk to understand what I'm talking about anyway.
I don't even think Cody would support you here. This is immature and completely uncalled for.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

euchomai
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 03:18 PM

Wow, your friend does? Cool, what else does your friend do that has any relevance to this argument? Looks like nothing at all. You really showed yourself as a prick in this post. Might want to grow up just a tad.

loki74
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 09:21 PM

This notion of "I work just as hard as grown ups" is completely ridiculous. Sure, you may do sports, you may drive, you may have a job, you may be taking college courses (well, if you actually believe that ANY AP class actually measures up to what you'll learn in college) but as long as you live with your parents, you will NEVER have the full responsibilities of an adult, of a college student.

I'll be the first to agree that HS students do a LOT and we do have a LOT of responsibilities, which are often under-recognized and/or under-appreciated by adults. (thankfully, that is not the case in my house) But don't go and get it in your head that just because of that your equally ready for the "real world" as an adult. The only thing that AP courses, a job, and sports do is make you more prepared for the "real world" than other high schoolers who dont do any of those things.

And I hope we don't need to get into the fact that I, too, attend a private HS.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by TheMosco
Oh yeah, thats right, I spent 4 hours moving weights and setting up for destination imagination.
I would just like to add that our team won 2nd place in world for D:I.

Thank you.

apattee
Apr 12, 2006, 01:01 PM

I'm close to 16 years old, and I can honestly say a computer isn't necessary. Why would one need an expensive computer such as an iMac? or a MPB? highschool is easy, and something of that calliber isn't necessary for doing schoolwork.. why not just pick up an old P4 computer and save yourself some money.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by CEns
I'm close to 16 years old, and I can honestly say a computer isn't necessary. Why would one need an expensive computer such as an iMac? or a MPB? highschool is easy, and something of that calliber isn't necessary for doing schoolwork.. why not just pick up an old P4 computer and save yourself some money.

a "youngin'" with a good head on his(her?) shoulders. stay that way okay? it'll get you through life so much better. BTW, as a heads up, when you hit college, you'll see why we college students need such expensive computers to do schoolwork

sabrejim
Apr 13, 2006, 11:08 AM

Cody is a twit. SHe needs to stop selling heris son to gophers. It doesn't bring the kid any closer to the right Apple Mac. Thats why I disagree with him. The kid seems smart though if not a little fish faced in the pride area. Pride is a sin.

Edited for bewbs.
( Last edited by kaze0; Apr 13, 2006 at 11:57 AM. )

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 11:16 AM

This thread is starting to feel like those random interviews on local news where they ask some local citizen to weigh in on some matter.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 11:46 AM

I'm getting a headache. Goodnight.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by kaze0
Cody is a twit. He needs to stop selling his son to gophers. It doesn't bring the kid any closer to the right Apple Mac. Thats why I disagree with him. The kid seems smart though if not a little fish faced in the pride area. Pride is a sin.
I believe you're mistaken about Cody. She has bewbs.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 12:05 PM

Hi Chuckit:

Yes, I do. And they're real.

Anyway, I think that a lot of people got insulted by this thread and I did some insulting and for that I'm sorry.

My POINT with the thread is that I really and honestly think that high schoolers should have a discount of SOME type, that's all. And that excludes my son because he's not in high school - though he does take a college math class. (He's in 7th grade.)

One thing I can say for Apple is that they're awesome in terms of customer care and support - no one comes even close. For that reason alone I'd buy Apple products even without a discount of any type. Heck, I buy AppleCare for every single thing I can and sometimes never even use it.

I have a banging bad headache.

Maybe Demonhood will put us all out of our misery (or The Tookie) and close the thread down.

sabrejim
Apr 13, 2006, 12:30 PM

i have a banging bad headache, you can have mine to for causing all of this pain and trouble with your manipulative soap boxes. I urge others of here to give you their headaches as well, because you caused them. I am sure of that. You should fix your son before he gets into highschool and gets robbed of his money and laptop though. It would be nice.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2006, 12:32 PM

Hi Chuckit:

Yes, I do. And they're real.

Anyway, I think that a lot of people got insulted by this thread and I did some insulting and for that I'm sorry.

My POINT with the thread is that I really and honestly think that high schoolers should have a discount of SOME type, that's all. And that excludes my son because he's not in high school - though he does take a college math class. (He's in 7th grade.)

One thing I can say for Apple is that they're awesome in terms of customer care and support - no one comes even close. For that reason alone I'd buy Apple products even without a discount of any type. Heck, I buy AppleCare for every single thing I can and sometimes never even use it.

I have a banging bad headache.

Maybe Demonhood will put us all out of our misery (or The Tookie) and close the thread down.

We're all just arguing (among other things) over where the lines are drawn. Some would say "if they give discounts to high schoolers, why not middle schoolers?" We all have a difference in opinion on where these lines should be drawn, and we'll probably never all agree on these lines, as by their very nature they are a compromise.

However, at the end of the day, it is Apple's decision where these lines are drawn, and they will simply not be able to make everybody happy with this decision. There are always exceptions to the justifications, like your hard working son.

It's funny how everybody here feels the need to defend themselves, how busy they are, how hard they work, etc. It reminds me of that SNL sketch where Will Ferrell cries out "I drive a DODGE STRATUS!"

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 12:37 PM

You would be suprised at how many college students don't know that there is an Educational Discount, I believe the numbers are around 70%. Its one of the biggest hurdels they face, right now they are putting out iPod nano magnets that inform students there is a student discount on all Apple hardware.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

sabrejim
Apr 13, 2006, 12:55 PM

There's also a student discount for the ADC and I think you get a one time use 20% off coupon for hardware. It was 99$ the last time I checked.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 01:34 PM

kraze0:

I'm not "fixing" my son you sick bastard.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by kaze0
There's also a student discount for the ADC and I think you get a one time use 20% off coupon for hardware. It was 99$ the last time I checked.
I don't think student developers get that, and ADC Student is a college only account.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
I don't think student developers get that
http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html
and ADC Student is a college only account.
You must be over 18 to have any ADC account, too.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html You must be over 18 to have any ADC account, too.
Oh. So I DO get a developer discount...

Nifty.

sabrejim
Apr 17, 2006, 02:51 PM

I hope cody bought the boy a new laptop cause he'll be behind his cool apple toting buddies without one. Then it would all be over. Ziola!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2006, 03:05 PM

Jealous?

I guess so.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2006, 10:42 PM

Jealous?

I guess so.

ummmm ... wasn't the whole point of this thread because you were jealous that your son didn't qualify for an Apple education discount?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 07:10 PM

So, is Cody Kid the happy owner of an Apple laptop now? If anyone deserves to get an Apple laptop, that's anyone who can save enough $$$ to buy one.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 07:24 PM

please dont fuel the horse with bees The_Godfather

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 07:40 PM

Those of you who are arguing about student discounts for children are completely missing the point. While you are in high school and below it is assumed that you are a dependent of your parents. How hard you work is completely irrelevant.

Educational staff get discounts because teachers get pathetic pay checks and public schools are some of the most underfunded institutions in America.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 10:25 PM

OK, since this discussion is still going, maybe someone can answer the question I asked earlier in the thread: why is this that theaters and attraction parks offer "student discount" to kids going to high school? they are considered students at some places and not at other? It's not a question of needing it, it's a matter of deserving it. You study? You're a student. Congratulation!

YES, in most cases, the parents will pay the bill, but it's the same thing for the museum, or the ski vacation, but they still get the discount. As an example, when I was in high school, my local cinema charged half-price for all students, so I paid 5$ instead of 10. I went about once per week, so in about 20 weeks, the owner "lost" the same amount than Apple would "lose" if they gave this student his 100$ rebate. My cinema never went bankrupt because of this, neither would Apple... and you only buy a laptop every 4-5 years. Big deal. They're just being greedy.
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
ummmm ... wasn't the whole point of this thread because you were jealous that your son didn't qualify for an Apple education discount?
I think this thread would move on faster if people stopped responding with only the OP in mind. This isn't only about Cody's child, but everyone's. OK, she's earning over 100 000 a year, but you cannot say the same thing about most parents, so please stay open-minded and think for everyone.
( Last edited by FireWire; May 9, 2006 at 10:52 PM. )

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2006, 06:56 PM

Just because he gets a solicitation in an email doesn't mean it's really meant for him. I have several solicitations in my junk email folder. Maybe I should forward them...

Anyway why does a 13 year old need a computer anyway? Need to put it and the xbox aside, skip the ice cream and get outside and some exercise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules