Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Connecting Cinema display to a Mac and PC too?

Connecting Cinema display to a Mac and PC too?
Nelsun
May 25, 2004, 12:34 PM

I was looking for advise regarding using a second computer with one display.

I am unfortunately considering the purchase of a Windows PC laptop for business reasons. All for use of one CAD application. I am also planning on upgrading from my G4 to a new G5 as soon as the new processors are available. When I do purchase the G5, I will also be purchasing the hopefully new Cinema Displays with it.

The question is whether anyone now has been successfull in connecting their Cinema Displays to not only the main Mac, but to a box to switch to a PC?

Any advise appreciated. Thanks, Nelson

osxisfun
May 25, 2004, 12:49 PM

yes. search for compu-cable in these forums. the company compu-cable has changed their name to something else(??)

but they have an adc ->dvi that will do the job (excellently!) the only problem you may have is that it requires a DVI connector on the pc which i do not think (??) a pc laptop has.

you will have to use a desktop. pay special attention to which pc card you buy to make sure it can drive the monitor form the pc.

i use the comp-cable switch and highly recommend it.

s0litude
Forum Regular
May 25, 2004, 02:05 PM

So you can use your cinema displays with a pc? Please direct me to a link that has more of this info. I always thought that apple displays cannot be used by pcs. Thanks in advance.
Hi!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 25, 2004, 02:13 PM

Nah, that's just PC bigot rumors for the most part.

Regardless, just search yourself -- there's plenty of info on it on the usual Mac sites, and in this very forum.

tooki

osxisfun
May 25, 2004, 02:20 PM

Nelsun  (op)
May 25, 2004, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the info and fast response! Cool, I'll do the research now that I have a place to start.

Nelson

sbc
Forum Regular
May 25, 2004, 03:38 PM

Definitely a rumor. CompUSA had the ACD 20" hooked up to a Sony PC tower.

Sony's demo was playing and damn the quality of the ACD was sweet. I'm sure they are better monitors available, but for the price and wide screen aspect, it's hard to top.
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules