Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > gah, streaks in my 24" imac screen

gah, streaks in my 24" imac screen
Sych0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 03:22 PM

I've had this mac since october. I don't recall seeing these streaks then, but I believe I first noticed them around november. Anyhow, they aren't being displayed by the os, as I can't screengrab them. They show up in bootcamp. They don't appear to be on the screen either, as I can't clean them off. They're a bit more noticeable than they are in the photos... I couldn't get a really good shot. You get the idea though

But the question is, what do I do now? I know the obvious answer is to take it in to apple, which I'll likely do. I'm just wondering if anyone's ever seen anything like this and if its fixable without sending it back?

Frankly, I've been kind of lax on getting it repaired because of the whole week or two without my baby. As distracting as it is, its really only in bright white and greys that I notice it. Photos movies etc, its mostly invisible. Then I had a thought last week- Resale value.

Time to get it fixed.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 03:47 PM

Those look like some kind of scratches to me.

Sych0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 04:29 PM

Nah, not scratches. At the proper angle, you can see crystal clear light reflections

joomlay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2007, 07:44 PM

I have the same problem on my 20" C2D, small patch in the lower left corner. If you find out solution please inform.

Thanks.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 2, 2007, 10:07 PM

They look like 'scuffs' to me. Not scratches, but scuffs. Like something not very sharp pushed against them.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2007, 10:08 PM

I don't think Apple would cover this.
Linkinus is king.

Sych0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 11:39 PM

hm. I just cant find any way to clean them up. I'd love for them to be on the screen.

Is there any way to distinguish if its the screen or the pixels? Pressing on it? trying different colors?

I'll bring it to apple anyways just to see what they suggest.

joomlay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 12:40 PM

^ Any news?

joomlay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2007, 05:27 AM

Just spoke with apple dealer (I'm from Serbia) and they told me that some iMacs have faulty screen and it's covered with warranty. Replacing new screen takes approx. one hour. They ordered a new one and will call me in a week to fix it. Till than I can use my iMac. I'm so happy.

Sych0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2007, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the update dude. Sorry for the late reply, but honestly I've just been too busy to get it fixed. Anyhow, I'll be taking it in sunday.

An hour fix is good news, I just wonder about my lil' old apple store in nh

I was kind of bumming about sending it out for a week too, so its good to hear the fix might be able to be done instore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules