Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTunes Radio Replacement

iTunes Radio Replacement
andi*pandi
Jan 29, 2016, 02:33 PM

so, for those of you who didn't notice:

http://forums.macnn.com/112/mac-news...stations-into/

I never wanted iTunes Music, as I prefer to own rather than rent my music... but I did like radio once in a while for variety and learning new artists.

With no more iTunes Radio, what's the best bet for a free radio service? Pandora, Spotify, or ?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2016, 02:53 PM

I loves me the Pandora, though I should disclose I like EDM, which is well represented. Other genres may not fare as well.

I've sprung for the paid version, so I have no idea if their ad setup is obnoxious or not.

I really tried to give iTR a chance, but it was broken more often than not.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 29, 2016, 03:15 PM

I used Pandora for many years until they tripled their monthly cost, so I dropped them. I'm entirely on Amazon Prime now.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2016, 05:43 PM

I'm doing the Google Play Music (with included YouTube Red) these days. I'm very happy with it, having uploaded my entire iTunes library and (manually) transferred my Spotify playlists.

I was worried I'd miss Spotify's Discover Weekly, but Google is doing a fantastic job of recommending music to me so far, and their radio functionality has been pretty decent, although I'm more of a personal playlist kind of guy. Any of you tried out their radio?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2016, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I used Pandora for many years until they tripled their monthly cost, so I dropped them. I'm entirely on Amazon Prime now.
You think Amazon will do the same thing once they unveil their expanded music service?

Report: Amazon Wants To Kill Spotify

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2016, 06:37 PM

I would recommend Pandora for a free streaming radio service. And it's only $36/year for higher quality ad free streaming if you are interested. Their algorithms for new music discovery are top-notch.

OAW

mindwaves
Jan 30, 2016, 07:10 AM

Anyone with a Mac app that I can use? That is the only time I listen to streaming music. I don't want to open a browser window just to listen to music.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2016, 07:51 AM

Not that I know of. Pandora are real jackasses about this.

Thorzdad
Jan 30, 2016, 12:01 PM

Question...Does the current version of iTunes still have the links to all the Internet radio station streams from around the world? I use those all the time in Snow Leopard (I know, I know) and they still work. It's not the same as the curated streams, but it's still an amazing array of different music.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Anyone with a Mac app that I can use? That is the only time I listen to streaming music. I don't want to open a browser window just to listen to music.
I used to use the Muse app from this developer to stream Pandora. But that app is no longer available. He now offers the Musicality app that works with 15 different streaming services. You might want to check it out.

OAW

P
Jan 31, 2016, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Question...Does the current version of iTunes still have the links to all the Internet radio station streams from around the world? I use those all the time in Snow Leopard (I know, I know) and they still work. It's not the same as the curated streams, but it's still an amazing array of different music.
Yes, although it is a bit hidden. In the toolbar, top left of the window, there are icons for music, movies, and TV-programs, but after that there is the ... symbol showing that there are more options. At the end of that list is the old Internet Radio sheet, which appears to still work.

Also note that although iTunes Radio is being shut down, Beats One will remain.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 31, 2016, 09:57 AM

Regarding a Pandora app for OS X:

Hermes - Pandora Client for OS X

Its even free.

Also, to be clear, iTunes Radio isn't COMPLETELY going away, just the free version.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2016, 02:23 PM

Wow... I'm glad the Pandora client situation has left the "40 years in the desert" phase.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 1, 2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I would recommend Pandora for a free streaming radio service. And it's only $36/year for higher quality ad free streaming if you are interested.
It hasn't been $36/year since June of 2014. It's $5/month now or $55/year.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Amazon Prime has a standalone app for Mac.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
You think Amazon will do the same thing once they unveil their expanded music service?

Report: Amazon Wants To Kill Spotify
I'm betting they'll still keep it wrapped up in Prime to sell more subscriptions rather than a standalone service.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2016, 01:33 PM

I've always assumed Prime, and all the goodies they tack on, are essentially loss leaders.

They make their money off of selling you the physical goods you're incentivized to buy now that you have free shipping.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It hasn't been $36/year since June of 2014. It's $5/month now or $55/year.
You are right on this to a certain extent. I paid $36 for the first year of Pandora One. But I've been paying $3.99/month since then. Or I could just do $47.88/year which I don't since it's not a discount. Perhaps I was grandfathered in with the lower rate?

OAW

andi*pandi  (op)
Feb 1, 2016, 06:03 PM

Well, I'm already paying for prime, so that tops my list... last time I tried amazon music it was clunky, but this seems much better.

Thanks for all the great ideas/links!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2016, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
You are right on this to a certain extent. I paid $36 for the first year of Pandora One. But I've been paying $3.99/month since then. Or I could just do $47.88/year which I don't since it's not a discount. Perhaps I was grandfathered in with the lower rate?

OAW
Previous users were grandfathered in.

mindwaves
Feb 8, 2016, 01:11 PM

I tried to go to pandora.com and it says I need flash to even view the site. Looks like Pandora is out of the question for me.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2016, 01:52 PM

iHeartRadio and TuneIn both have streaming music options, free and paid.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules