Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Konfabulator is being ported to Windows

Konfabulator is being ported to Windows
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 02:14 PM

Found this last night:
A Web site that offers desktop applets for the Macintosh desktop is gearing up to provide similar gadgets for Windows.

The site, called Konfabulator, launched in February and has attracted a wide following of Mac users drawn to its JavaScript applets, or "widgets," that tell the time, predict the weather, monitor battery or central processing unit usage and track the phases of the moon.
Full story: http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-5126...l?tag=nefd_top

Well hopefully that means the widgets will be cross platform, that would mean more widgets for everyone. Sure would be a good thing.
I wonder what they'll do to substitute for Quarts rendering on Winblowz?
click one

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Found this last night:

Full story: http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-5126...l?tag=nefd_top

Well hopefully that means the widgets will be cross platform, that would mean more widgets for everyone. Sure would be a good thing.
I wonder what they'll do to substitute for Quarts rendering on Winblowz?

Calling another platform names is childish, grow up.

And FYI DesktopX kills any competition in the widget arena. It'll still be nice to have another option though.

And it's quartz, not quarts.

Chris

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Calling another platform names is childish, grow up.

And FYI DesktopX kills any competition in the widget arena. It'll still be nice to have another option though.

And it's quartz, not quarts.

Chris
Must have been a typo when I was trying to say "Windows"...
Hay thanks, I don't need a spell checker anymore! The built-in one would never have caught my miss spelling of "Quartz".
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 02:55 PM

It's "hey" not "hay"

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 04:35 PM

Its "misspell" not "miss spell" and you meant to "write" Windows not "say" Windows. Finally, check your grammar and phrasing. Where did you go to school and how old are you?

Anyways, DesktopX beat Konfabulator to the punch. Not to mention DesktopX can do much more than Konfabulator.
( Last edited by Dace; Dec 17, 2003 at 05:57 PM. )

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
Its "misspell" not "miss spell" and you meant to "wite" Windows not "say" Windows. Finally, check your grammar and phrasing. Where did you go to school and how old are you?

Anyways, DesktopX beat Konfabulator to the punch. Not to mention DesktopX can do much more than Konfabulator.
Thanks for the grammar and phrasing analyses.

So sounds like they may be wasting their time with porting Konfabulator to Winblowz, I mean "Windows".
It would be cool if people buy into it though, it would create a lot more widgets for both platforms if it's fully cross compatible.
click one

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
Its "misspell" not "miss spell" and you meant to "wite" Windows not "say" Windows. Finally, check your grammar and phrasing. Where did you go to school and how old are you?

Wite isn't a word. Stop being so anal retentive. Makes you look especially foolish when you make a mistake.

Its a forum, not an english class. The purpose of language is to express a thought, so as long as the mistake doesn't impair your ability to comprehend, chill out.

Sorry for the rant, just gets to me when people have to point stuff like that out on a web forum.

NetworkShadow, its always you i see getting beat on by a group

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by cloudaj:
Wite isn't a word. Stop being so anal retentive. Makes you look especially foolish when you make a mistake.

Its a forum, not an english class. The purpose of language is to express a thought, so as long as the mistake doesn't impair your ability to comprehend, chill out.

Sorry for the rant, just gets to me when people have to point stuff like that out on a web forum.

NetworkShadow, its always you i see getting beat on by a group
Thanks for the well placed rant cloudaj.
Dace and phillryu were playing around in good fun. Unless kmkkid is some english teacher and PC user I have no clue what his problem is.

Now if you don't mind, back on topic please.
click one

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 05:43 PM

ah ha, i knew phillyru was kidding but didn't know dace was

more widgets the better, assuming like you said they are cross platform. if not then it kinda sucks because its development time spent on windows which could be spent on mac, and no benefits to reap from that (for mac users anyway). So i guess we will see if its good or bad in the long run.

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 06:01 PM

Maybe I should've added a smiley There

Yeah I was just going with the flow phillryu started. Glad NetworkShadow didn't misinterpret it.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

redJag
Senior User
Dec 17, 2003, 06:06 PM

It's XML and JavaScript, it would have to be cross-platform. What you won't see, though, is cross-platform use of AppleScript. Maybe they'll try to program hooks for common AppleScript calls or something, who knows..
Travis Sanderson

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Unless kmkkid is some english teacher and PC user I have no clue what his problem is.
Bingo.

Well not really, but I did get 95%+ in HS english class I didn't care about the misspelling so much as quartz is a totally different thing than a quart(s). Mac users are always throwing around comments about how great quartz is, so they should know how to spell it at least .

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by redJag:
It's XML and JavaScript, it would have to be cross-platform. What you won't see, though, is cross-platform use of AppleScript. Maybe they'll try to program hooks for common AppleScript calls or something, who knows..
Right. And the fact that Mac and PC directory structures/folders are different.

Chris

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 01:23 AM

Also if a widget uses terminal calls and commands, like mine does, those can't work either. So I assume this will be cross platform.... to a point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules