Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G3 keeps requiring restart...

iBook G3 keeps requiring restart...
NitzJaaron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 03:21 PM

I'm having an odd problem. I've got a new iBook G3 900MHz, no more than a month old now. Just a few days ago, I bought 512mb PC133 ram from Apple, and installed it.

Now, every other time I turn it on, it tells me that I need to restart the computer. Usually it tells me to do this two or three times before it finally starts.

The new RAM does work. Very well, in fact. I've also checked to make sure that it was in straight twice (removed it, and reinstalled it) and that didn't fix the problem.

Any idea as to why this is happening?

Many thanks.
-Nitz

* iBook G3 900mhz/640mb/12.1"/40gig
* 30gig iPod 3rd Gen.

robo74
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 04:07 PM

I would remove it for a day or two.

If the problem stops, its the RAM.

I am sure there is a few bad apples in the bunch from the apple store.

Rob

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 05:16 PM

1. Try removing the RAM and working without it. If it works fine (albeit with drive thrashing as data is swapped from memory to the hard drive) without the RAM, then return the RAM to Apple for replacement. My first iBook RAM module was bad and it caused wacko symptoms that I spent a couple of weeks trying to treat, not knowing it was the memory. I had upgraded so many things on one day that I couldn't track down what was the issue. Once I took it out it worked great.

2. If that fails, try zapping the PRAM. Or do this first because it's easier. Instructions are on Apple's site and easy to find with google.

3. Did you install any software shortly before or after adding the memory? Are there any login items running that you could disable?

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules