Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Old Apple Studio display monitor work with G4

Old Apple Studio display monitor work with G4
Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2002, 05:11 PM

I've been told that the newer powermac G4s might not work with apples last CRT/ADC monitors. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I'm thinking about upgrading to a desktop G4 and don't really want to spend the money on a new monitor.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 09:12 PM

from http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html :
ADC and DVI connectors; DVI to VGA adapter included
does that answer your question?

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2002, 05:04 AM

It works fine, but do remember that the new mac`s don`t have the old style separate power outlet in the back for CRT displays, so you`ll also have to get a "regular" powercord for the display.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2002, 10:28 AM

if you mean this monitor. then it will work, the latest cards have adc, and this monitor suports adc so it should work (not saying that this exact monitor will work because it seems to have had a rough life)

I have one of these monitors and it is great, a little junk in the trunk but still it gives a great hmogenious picture every time
I up graded my video card to a Gf 2MX twin view so I might through on another monitor but thats a nother thread.
( Last edited by G4ME; Sep 8, 2002 at 10:34 AM. )

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2002, 02:46 PM

I might get a refurb Power Mac (last case design)....I am really clueless about what monitor to get. The Apple flat panels are too much, I saw a Mitusbishi on the Apple site for something like $299...will this work out of the box? I have an NEC VGA monitor I could use but what kind of connector do I need?

Centris650  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
if you mean this monitor. then it will work, the latest cards have adc, and this monitor suports adc so it should work (not saying that this exact monitor will work because it seems to have had a rough life)

I have one of these monitors and it is great, a little junk in the trunk but still it gives a great hmogenious picture every time
I up graded my video card to a Gf 2MX twin view so I might through on another monitor but thats a nother thread.
That's the one. Thanks everyone for the info. Now, to talk to (translation: BEG!) the wife....

OreoCookie
Sep 8, 2002, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by tomra:
It works fine, but do remember that the new mac`s don`t have the old style separate power outlet in the back for CRT displays, so you`ll also have to get a "regular" powercord for the display.
Which costs next to nothing ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by PHoynak:
I might get a refurb Power Mac (last case design)....I am really clueless about what monitor to get. The Apple flat panels are too much, I saw a Mitusbishi on the Apple site for something like $299...will this work out of the box? I have an NEC VGA monitor I could use but what kind of connector do I need?
You don't need any kind of connector. The PowerMacs before July Macworld had VGA and ADC connectors, so you can use the Viewsonic or the NEC without adaptors.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules