Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Making gravlax- help!

Making gravlax- help!
The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2003, 10:16 PM

I love gravlax, and finally decided to make it. I took two salmon fillets,maybe 2 lbs max, and sprinkled with 3 tbsps. each of kosher salt and sugar, threw in some peppercorns, and layered the slabs with dill. I also added a slug of lemoncello for flavor

The fillets have been in the fridge for 2 days, and every day I have turned them and basted with the liquid. My recipe said leave them in the fridge three days, but other similar recipes say 1 day, etc. So how can I tell the gravlax is ready? I have poked the flesh, but it doesn't seem to have toughened at all, and still seems a little raw.

Anyone have any advice to share?

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 03:14 AM

I haven't done any myself (I eat my fish raw or smoked ), but this recipe says two days.

Most recipes seem to emphasize dry, non- liquid conditions, lots of salt and some pressure. Perhaps the liquid is screwing up the process?

Or then it's just a difference in localization.

J

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 03:41 AM

Only just saw this thread. The Judge is right, you need to keep it dry.
The idea behind Gravadlax is that the salt pulls moisture out of the fish, thus conserving it.

By adding a liquid in there you're making that process impossible. If you're doing this again you should also use a fair bit more salt. A tablespoon won't really get you anywhere, curing wise.

Best of luck with it

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 07:57 AM

This is my TRIED AND TRUE recipe.

GRAVLAX (LOX SALMON)

Fillet or have filleted by the fishmonger, leaving the skin on:

1 salmon (4 to 5 pounds)

Mix together:
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups salt
2 Tbsp. of crushed white peppercorns
1 Tbsp. black pepper

Rub fillets all over with this mixture. On the flesh side of one of the fillets, lay:

2 cups coarsely chopped fresh dill, including stems.
Sprinkle with:
2 Tbspns. brandy, aquavit, plain or lemon-flavoured vodka, or other spirits. (I use vodka)

Lay the other fillet flesh side down on top of the dill-covered fillet. Wrap in plastic wrap or cheesecloth, sprinkling the outside with any scraps of dill or remaining salt mixture. Place on plate, cover with another plate, and top the whole package with 3 or 4 pounds of weight. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO WEIGH IT DOWN OR IT WILL NOT CURE PROPERLY! Refrigerate.

Twice a day, open package and baste the fish all over with the juice that is released. Wrap it up again. The gravlax is done when it is opaque, usually in 3 to 4 days but it could be 2 or 4. When it is done I rinse in cold water and remove the dill completely, then blot dry. Thinly slice. Serve with:

Dill sauce, mustard sauce, or mayonnaise. I add chopped dried dill to mayonnaise or sour cream and mayo combination and serve on the side with the fish, but at Swedish smorgasbord I noticed that they serve mustard sauces instead.

Gravlax keeps well, covered and refrigerated for several days. To keep gravlax in the refrigerater be sure and pour off ALL the brine -- otherwise it will get too salty. I also keep it on a bed of fresh dill or another leafy green (romaine lettuce) and change it daily.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 08:13 AM

Sorry to disagree iWrite, but the idea behind real Gravadlax is not to pickle it in a brine (as one would do with a gherkin) but to cure it in a salt/sugar/herb mixture with the liquid from the fish being removed and discarded. If you're after the genuine article you shouldn't really use it to bask the fish with. But your taste may vary of course.

Real Scandinavian Gravadlax is a relatively dry affair with any additional moisture coming from the sauce it is being served with.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 08:23 AM

Mastrap:

You're WRONG.

Go to Google and put in "Gravlax recipe."

Every Gravlax recipe is more or less the same and the alcohol (2 tablespoons) does NOT add liquid: THE LIQUID IS COMING OUT OF THE SALMON AS IT CURES.

The liquid portion of the alcohol is poured off the rest is absorbed and helps cure the fish.

I learned this in Minnesota many years ago -- taught to me by someone from Sweden. EVERY recipe involves adding some type of alcohol. Not much, just a little, and then it's poured off at the first draining.

As I said, the liquid comes from the fish and not from the 2 tablespoons of alcohol -- the liquid poured off amounts to much more than the 2 tablespoons.

I've made this about 50 times. Have you?

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 08:35 AM

Swede here.
My Morfar would dribble aqvavit on the nearly cured salmon- to be poured off at the last draining. THis, of course, is going to plant a hint of flavor on the surface.

The aqvavit was purely a flavor thing and was a bastardization. Swedes put booze in stuff. Morfar often said it probably came about as a matter of necessity- if the cure went wrong, well, we shouldn't waste it. "Clean" it with the booze.

So. For true vanilla curing, Mas is correct. For variation, iWrite has it, I think. The key is balance- add too much or at the wrong time and you'll muck with the curing process.

So. iWrite. It's a food thread. Chill out. We don't allow hostility in food threads. Also: you're not talking about the same thing: Mas is talking about basking- I read that as pickling- more liquid. You're talking about tinting. Flavoring. Very little liquid.
Before it is asked: yeah. I've made it. Plenty.
Now everyone siddown, have some friggin Aalborg and shut up and enjoy the fvcking gravlax.
DON'T make me turn this into a sil thread.
( Last edited by maxelson; Aug 20, 2003 at 08:40 AM. )

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 08:48 AM

Whatever you say.

A question was asked and we all answered.

I have been to many Swedish affairs with buffets and they always told me that 2 tablespoons alcohol were added to it initially. The idea is that the alcohol helps PULL the moisture out of the fish -- which is what alcohol does: Dries things out. It's not meant to pickle anything -- that would involve acid and salt and/or sugar and WATER.

Like I said, I've made it so many times that I could make it blindfolded and the woman who taught me to make it was from Sweden, her husband was with the U.N. on behalf of Sweden, and all of the recipes I've seen involve a couple of tablespoons of alcohol to help the drying process and give it a bit of a zing.

After all, we're talking two TABLESPOONS, not half a gallon, and it was always poured off in the first draining.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 08:49 AM

P.S., What is Aalborg?

(OH, and thanks for commenting...it helps when a real Swede weighs in!)

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 09:24 AM

I know what you're saying- I just think you two were missing each other's meanings and today I am a friggin royal Mary Worth, bringin' the people together in love and harmony.
And booze.
And Mas is a good guy. And a veritable bottomless pit of culinary information. One day soon, he IS making me that Oxtail stew of his.

Aalborg. Now, usually we don't hand the Danes all that much. But their taste in akvavit is "ok pretty not bad".
Aalborg is the big Danish brand of akvavit. And it is, as I say, "ok pretty not bad". Readily available in the US- often, it is the only akvavit I can get.
Gammel Dansk is the after dinner bitters. And I REALLY recommend it. EXCELLENT stuff.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 09:37 AM

AHhhhh!

I can't drink Aquavit. It's too strong for me. I'm sure your choice of alcoholic beverage is also too strong for me also.

Yes, Mastrap is a good guy. We don't agree on much but I know he's a good guy. Actually, a lot of the people here are good folks I think, not that I agree with them about everything.

(Great. Now my power just went out. Figures. At least I was on the standard dial-up this morning because Airport is on the blink.)

I love to cook, but I love even more hearing other recipe ideas that people have.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2003, 10:21 AM

Yeah ok: We've had the Swedo version of gravlax now for the Icelandic version!!

1 kg of fil�d salmon. (leave the skin on!!

Use 5 tablespoons og high grade sea salt,
3 tablespoons og black pepper (best if it is coarsely ground or not ground at all - makes it easier to clean afterwards),
4 tablespoons of sugar,
a bag of dill (enough to cover the fish), plastic wrap.

Put the salmon on the plastic wrapper - skin down - red up. Mix the salt, pepper and sugar and distribute evenly over the salmon (the sides too). Put finely cut dill (you bought fresh didn't you? ) over the salmon - don't use all you got, save some dill for later. You'll want to use some when the gravlax is ready. Put the fishfiles together so the skin is on the outside and wrap carefully in the plastic. Put it in a bowl in a refrigerator and put something heavy on top of it to apply some pressure. Keep it there for 48 hours, but turn regularily. After 48 hrs the gravlax is ready for consumtions. Use some of that fresh dill you kept on the salmon when it's ready.

Now all you need is the sauce

and a toast. and some good drinks (of your choice)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 20, 2003, 10:40 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 18, 2004 at 11:29 AM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Mastrap:

You're WRONG.

Go to Google and put in "Gravlax recipe."

Every Gravlax recipe is more or less the same and the alcohol (2 tablespoons) does NOT add liquid: THE LIQUID IS COMING OUT OF THE SALMON AS IT CURES.

The liquid portion of the alcohol is poured off the rest is absorbed and helps cure the fish.

I learned this in Minnesota many years ago -- taught to me by someone from Sweden. EVERY recipe involves adding some type of alcohol. Not much, just a little, and then it's poured off at the first draining.

As I said, the liquid comes from the fish and not from the 2 tablespoons of alcohol -- the liquid poured off amounts to much more than the 2 tablespoons.

I've made this about 50 times. Have you?

IWrite, peace.

No need to get the caps out on me. Or to start a pissing contest about food. Chill, Winston.

Anyway, I think we were talking cross purposes here. I totally agree with your initial adding of alcohol. Hell, I am in total agreement with adding alcohol to most things, most of the time.

What I was trying to say is that the liquid that the fish releases while curing is to be chucked away.

I'm sure Minnesota is a very fine place and full of Swedes but trust me on this. Personally I was taught how to make Gravadlax, and the history of the salt cure, by a friend's Swedish grandmother on the beach of an island about two hours north of Stockholm.
None of that fancy fridge nonsense
A cold November evening, freezing rain and two large flat stones was all we used. two old tea towels to hold the fish. And damn fine fish it was.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 20, 2003, 11:14 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 18, 2004 at 11:29 AM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2003, 11:16 AM

Strange thing is that when I lived in Swedo country I couldn't find gravlax easily. In Norway it is another story - every major grocery store selles gravlax - and in Iceland it is everywhere. Even in the discount markets.

I didn't think swedes were much into making gravlax. or good food (them k�ttbullar are a killer! and the falukorv (icky) not to mention the pyttipanna!!!!!)

PS peace and love to Swedes, your princess Madeleine really makes up for the rest of you

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2003, 11:17 AM

Hmm...i have seen friends of mine make "gravlaks" once but i did�nt pay much attention cause i don�t eat fish in general. There was one thing thought...they did�nt use a fridge, they actually made a whole in the ground, put the fish in it and then covered it with the "dirt" they removed to make the whole?!

Go figure, i�ll stick to sliced bread with cheese

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:

PS peace and love to Swedes, your princess Madeleine really makes up for the rest of you
Mixed feelings. COnfused.
But not about THIS:

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by tomra:
Hmm...i have seen friends of mine make "gravlaks" once but i did�nt pay much attention cause i don�t eat fish in general. There was one thing thought...they did�nt use a fridge, they actually made a whole in the ground, put the fish in it and then covered it with the "dirt" they removed to make the whole?!

Go figure, i�ll stick to sliced bread with cheese

That's how its done.

Dig hole in beach. Put big stone in hole. Add fish in towel. Put big stone on top and fill hole back in to encourage cure and deny access to other parties also interested in eating your salmon. Seagulls. Seals. Any other mammals with an empty stomach and a liking for fish.

Go away for a couple of days. Come back, dig out, eat.

Oh and two essential things:

1. Put a marker up. Nothing more frustrating than looking at a beach and having no idea where your fish is buried. Lots of digging with an empty stomach.

2. If you're near a tidal sea, bury above the tide line.

And yes, I've done both.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by maxelson:

Oh wow.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2003, 11:31 AM

Mixed feelings. COnfused.
But not about THIS:

Just remember: When she asks, say YES!

The hottest princess north of the equator. Has a remarably bad taste in men though..

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Oh wow.
Other comments heard about Princess Madeleine:
"DAAAAAAAAAAAMN!"
"Oh. Oh, my."
"Ho.Lee.Shyt."
and my own:
"uh...bnmwsonvonwrofvjbnvsjbsvsdffsdjbdsfkjlbsobvo dsbohah."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2003, 11:36 AM

Other comments heard about Princess Madeleine:
"DAAAAAAAAAAAMN!"
"Oh. Oh, my."
"Ho.Lee.Shyt."
and my own:
"uh...bnmwsonvonwrofvjbnvsjbsvsdffsdjbdsfkjlbsobvo dsbohah."

BTW: this graved laks thing (sorry to derail the derail ) strikes me as so typical.

Wherever there are regional specialties in the world, you will *always* find at least fifty variations, each one claiming to be The Original Recipe.

-s*

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2003, 11:49 AM

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:

Du gamla, du fria, du fj�llh�ga nord
Du tysta, du gl�djerika sk������na

One more reason to move back to Svea Rike. Sk�l!

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

The Ginger Rat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2003, 12:37 PM

Well, thanks for all the replies (hmm, interesting derailment- at least it wasn't the Swedish Bikini Team!)

Well, foo, all the fricking recipes I pored over on the web didn't mention pouring off the brine as it accumulated. Should have asked here first

I wasn't sure what aquavit was, and thought the limoncello, which has a fair amount of alcohol and a lot of sugar, would be an acceptable sub.

Yes, used fresh baby dill. Such a lovely aroma.

Well, today I will plate it and see what happens. Either I or the dogs are going to be eating well.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 02:06 PM

Maybe you invented a new version?

I can't imagine what kind of a soup has accumulated in there by now?

(Sorry, kinda makes me queasy.)

But, let us all know?

talisker
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 04:23 PM

Maybe you invented a new version?

I can't imagine what kind of a soup has accumulated in there by now?

(Sorry, kinda makes me queasy.)

But, let us all know?

I noticed your recipe was subtitled "Lox Salmon". I thought lox salmon was simply cold-smoked salmon, rather then gravlax?

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 04:34 PM

I think you're right.

I just titled it that way for my family -- we call it all "lox" even though it's not. We eat either the smoked salmon or the gravlax on bagels with cream cheese and capers, onions and tomatoes.

talisker
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 04:37 PM

I think you're right.

I just titled it that way for my family -- we call it all "lox" even though it's not. We eat either the smoked salmon or the gravlax on bagels with cream cheese and capers, onions and tomatoes.
Cool. I was just asking because lox is one of these American words that I've never been 100% sure about.

btw, Ikea do pretty acceptable gravlax and mustard/dill sauce in their in-store restaurants (in the UK anyway). Almost as good as their gigantic plates of meatballs. And the little green marzipan cake things.

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2003, 06:31 PM

Edit:I was trying to "forward" the image of "Madde" once more but something went terribly wrong, sorry!

Move along nothing to see here...

The Ginger Rat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2003, 09:01 PM

Oookay...

It turned out pretty well, actually. Gorgeous color- I love slicing the stuff! Since it was a wild salmon I was worried that it wasn't going to be fatty and tender enough, but it was.

I wouldn't use lemoncello again. Too sweet. I think if I do use the spirits again it will be either cognac or vodka.

I found it a bit too salty, others that it wasn't salty enough But agreed on more dill.

Tasted great, though, on a bagel with cream cheese.

I am looking forward to the next time Try some other kinds of salmon, experiment a little. Fun!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 21, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
Since it was a wild salmon I was worried that it wasn't going to be fatty and tender enough, but it was.
Farmed salmon is evil.

Glad you enjoyed your gravlax!

Forum Links
Forum Rules