Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook logic board -petition

ibook logic board -petition
Quadra
Nov 28, 2003, 09:09 PM

Ok, I hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere. There is a petition going to the link at the bottom, to get Apple to acknowledge that specifically G3 ibook have faulty logic boards. Sign it. Rumor is, and I don't like rumors is that this is going to lead to a class action suit to get Apple to do the right thing.

I didn't start the petition but I can tell you I am pretty steamed at this, I have had two board failures in 9 months, others have had up to five.

So if your ibook has you toasted, you're not alone, sign the petition.

Btw, the recall of the G3 power adapter started this way.

[URL=http://www.petitiononline.com/ibook123/petition.html]

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2003, 01:54 AM

i got applecare after debating it
on the last 3 days of the one year warranty
and on the day after the warranty would have expired, my battery went
im starting to think that they built them as disposible computers, or seems that at about the year mark they fail and its a way to promote applecare sales
who knows?
w3rd..
surrey represent

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2003, 12:55 PM

My iBook 600 (late 2001 model - 2 years old this december) is still 100% a OK. I've traveled the world with it, I've used it outside and inside the house, I've carried and used it every day to school for 2 years... I could go on. I've installed extra RAM by myself and installed an AirPort card... It is still working as well as it did the day I got it. I did have to buy a new battery for it this summer, but besides that it is fine. Running Panther and what have you. These machines are built to last! I suppose I'll have to upgrade next summer. G5 sounds nice.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

pat++
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
My iBook 600 (late 2001 model - 2 years old this december) is still 100% a OK. I've traveled the world with it, I've used it outside and inside the house, I've carried and used it every day to school for 2 years... I could go on. I've installed extra RAM by myself and installed an AirPort card... It is still working as well as it did the day I got it. I did have to buy a new battery for it this summer, but besides that it is fine. Running Panther and what have you. These machines are built to last! I suppose I'll have to upgrade next summer. G5 sounds nice.
The logic board issue seems to mostly affect 700mhz and 800mhz models. My 500mhz has been worling for 2years and a half, without any problem.
( Last edited by pat++; Nov 29, 2003 at 02:16 PM. )

Tziholmeg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 02:35 PM

It can affect the 900's as well. I got a 900 G3 in October, and haven't seen it for two weeks, as Apple is replacing the logic board on it. (It's been on hold for a week while they try to FIND a logic board to fix it with.) This is the second time I've sent the machine in since purchase, the first repair was for a faulty combo drive.

I don't want to say I'm angry, because at least Apple is fixing everything without a hassle, (which is more than any other company I've worked with has done) but I am disappointed.

Meghan

MisterAnderson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 03:47 PM

I've got an 800 bought last December, so my 1 year warranty is about to expire. I've never had any trouble out of this iBook (well, except for the power adaptor I've had to have replaced 3 times) Still, as a college student with no income, I can't afford to spend $200 on Applecare. Is it just a certain type of 800 affected by this? How can I tell if mine is the same iBook experiencing the board failures?

orry_main
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 07:02 PM

My logic board went on 5 November this year...350 days after I bought this iBook and when I had four papers to write in three weeks. I was not a happy camper. I got it fixed and everything under warranty and I ended up buying the extended warranty, too. But, as they say, timing is everything.

x user
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 08:06 PM

I've had three iBooks, and never had a problem. I think percentage-wise the number is few that have had problems. And certainly less commmon than the white splotches that the 15" PB has had...

Quadra  (op)
Nov 30, 2003, 08:55 PM

Just a clarification, to this date there have been nearly 1700 logic board replacements (via bud at the apple shop). Probably a bad production run, affecting ibooks.

However, being a "PC" tech (no snickers), I believe it to be related to the ATI chip and heat, although the display cable design is definitely flawed. I probed my ibook several times over the last year and on several occasions found it outside of OP temp. Not hot, but then tolerance is a fickle thing. Just a hunch.

Mine is in the shop (5 days before the warranty ran out). When I called Apple, the tech became insistant that I buy Apple Care to cover any repairs after this one.

I decided to play with him a little, I asked, "So you want me to buy an extended maintenance agreement because in your professional opinion my ibook may fail again....is that an admission that there is a design flaw? " He put me on hold, since he already told me to take it to the local dealer, I hung up as well.

Apple has a long record of failure to recognize officially design flaws and initiate recall or pay for repairs. Several states have existing laws against product defects.

This wasn't always the case, remember the powerbook 5300 and 190? The display bezels were defective and Apple admitted it and gave free repairs and a seven year warranty after that.

Apple will make this right, and if civil litigation is necessary via class action that is the other purpose of the petition me thinks.

Stay tuned....

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 09:00 PM

Except, I broke the cd-rom not bieng careful of it.

beyond that, I have never had a problem with my macs... I'm on my third Mac now.... son on my fourth and will get the new wife one too.

cheers

sycdnm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 02:05 AM

The iBook 700 I bought last summer died last week end. The symptoms indicate that the logic board went bad.

I would get it repaired if I knew that they fixed the problem. But from what I read replacement boards are failing too. I don't want to spend $350 now to have the thing fail again in a few months after the 90 days repair warranty period.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 01:05 PM

I don't see any sense on paying 250 dls for apple care, for a laptop that is worth 600 or less dls. My battery got screwed, but got a replacement so no harm there... but If I get to be over my 1 year warranty and the logic board dies, I guess the Ibook dies with it too. If it dies within the 1st year, I would have sell it immediately after warranty repair.

fhoubi
Senior User
Dec 13, 2003, 09:00 PM

The timing is funny, my logic board (ibook 700 combo june 2002) died one week before it got one year old. I bought Applecare just 10 days before that... go figure. The second board was a lemon, it died on the second day. The 3rd board is now working just fine for about 5 months...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

ilived
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 06:30 PM

The logic board on my ibook 14" G3 900mhz just went out for the second time this past weekend (right in the middle of graduate school finals).

This ibook is only about 6.5 months old and the logic board has died twice. This time, my machine is STILL in the shop b/c the display died after the new logic board was installed, and the display that was shipped to the store to replace the broken one was DOA.

Needless to say, I'm without my laptop at a VERY crucial time and now I'm afraid (rightly) that this could/will happen again.

I have been in contact with apple since I sent my ibook in for repairs and they have been very good about keeping me updated on the status of my repair, but when I asked them, point blank, if there was a known issue with ibook logic boards the representative told me that "apple was not aware of such a problem with ibooks."

Now, after seeing how long this has been going on and how much information is out there, I can't help but feel that apple is lying to me.

I am so disappointed. If my logic board dies again I will demand that apple replace the full unit with a laptop that actually works. I hope they realize that some of us make sacrifices to be able to purchase their products, and that most of us buy apple computers b/c we think they will serve us the best.

I hope apple follows through on this.

Keep posting your stories so that those of us with broken ibooks and those thinking about getting them can get a sense of the real scope of the problem.

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2003, 07:42 PM

I am a good person and I signed it.
it was around 220 who signed already!
My board died after 2 months, my HD has just been changed too.
Go and do it too, doesnt hurt and... who knows might help many!

damosan
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by ilived:

Needless to say, I'm without my laptop at a VERY crucial time and now I'm afraid (rightly) that this could/will happen again.
One of the most expensive things an organization can lose is consumer confidence.

It stings all the more when you pay a premium.

Damo

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2003, 02:47 AM

Last summer I purchased a 12" 900mhz G3 ibook. The logic board failed within a week. Returned it, bought a 14" instead. The logic board failed in 2 days. Decided this was a sign, gave up on ibooks, bought a 1.25mhz G4 Power Mac and have had *zero* problems with it, performs flawlessly, very happy with the purchase......luckily portability wasn't a major issue for me.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules