Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sleep instead of Shutdown

Sleep instead of Shutdown
LukeGX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2004, 04:28 PM

Anyone know of ill affects that may be caused by putting iBooks to sleep (closing the lid) all the time instead of shutting them down.

I have just been carting mine around as it sleeps rather then shutting it down. I do this because:
1. No OSX load time
2. Previous project is still on screen
3. I have been led to believe that OSX runs better when it is not shut down all the time (like unix)

Thanks,
Luke
60GB iPod Photo
350Mhz G3 B/W Tower 448MBRAM 7GB 40GB DVDRW OSX 10.3
XP2700 1GBRAM TI4200 40GB 200GB SATA RAID 1

drive-thru
Senior User
Dec 28, 2004, 05:32 PM

There are many, many threads about this here and in the Powerbook forum.
Search for them if you want more in-depth answers.

Basically there should be no problems because OS X keeps everything it needs to in RAM when it's asleep (which is why it's so quick to wake). The hard drive 'head' is put in the parked position (essentially the same as when the mac is turned off) so there should be no more damage to your HD than if it were turned off. As long as your iBook doesn't wake itself (screen pushing on the trackpad button) or your battery shakes itself loose (in which case it should be fine on a restart anyway) there should be no problems.

As I said there is more in-depth discussion in previous threads.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 28, 2004, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by drive-thru:
The hard drive 'head' is put in the parked position (essentially the same as when the mac is turned off)
No, not "essentially the same". Exactly the same. The hard drive (like nearly all the components in all Apple laptops, and most Apple desktops made in the past 5 years) is completely shut off when the computer is asleep.

tooki

LukeGX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 06:52 PM

I have already searched the forums, however there is nothing stated about possible ill affects. My primary concern is with battery life. How would continual slow discharge of the battery affect it's life?

Thanks, Luke.
60GB iPod Photo

LukeGX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 07:57 PM

I have already searched the forums, however there is nothing stated about possible ill affects. My primary concern is with battery life. How would continual slow discharge of the battery affect it's life?

Thanks, Luke.
60GB iPod Photo

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 3, 2005, 08:36 AM

Current iBooks use Lithium Ion batteries. LiI batteries do not have any of the negative qualities that we've all been lectured about with Nickle-Cadmium batteries. A long, slow drain will not damage the battery or the laptop, and will not cause any lasting effects-negative or positive-in either the battery or laptop.

And I think that if there were ill effects, every single thread about sleep versus turned off would have a dozen or so hotheads (like me! ) warning everyone and his dog not to do this or that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 07:28 PM

just go with sleep , no point of shuting it down if u use it alot, just remember to turn off Airport or it will drain your batteries

have fun

KianD
Jan 3, 2005, 08:24 PM

Only time I 'turn off' my iBook is to change OS - in OSX and in YDL, sleep mode does the job

I've been doing exactly the same on my Sony Vaio for two years, and thats with a HDD that is now SIX years old (I got it new but without a HDD, so swiped one from a thinkpad). No HDD damage. Battery does a few minutes less than it did when it was new, although I think thats helped by mainly running off AC. The Vaio has more RAM to keep refreshed when on sleep (512MB, 48MB VRAM), and also has two years old power managment technology, so its probably drawing more power from the battery when sleeping than the iBook is.

You won't damage it. The feature wouldn't be there if there was a risk of damage being done - just look at how Apple stop you running the laptop closed on battery.....
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

LukeGX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2005, 08:40 PM

Thanks people.
60GB iPod Photo

Forum Links
Forum Rules