Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The slot drive...

The slot drive...
Kiwi_nl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 06:50 PM

Hi guys,

I was wondering, as Im about to purchase an iBook, about the slot loading drive. Im used to having a disk tray on my current PC laptop, and I'm thinking that the slot loading idea is a good one as I've damaged my disk tray before on my current laptop. However, I have a question for those here who have been using their iBook for a while but hardly ever use the optical drive -

Does the slot loading optical drive gather dust when not used for a long period? Or worse still, does it allow dust to enter into the drive?

I will be visiting farms, and dusty villages with this laptop (Im working for an African NGO) and I wouldn't want the iBook to allow dust particles in that easily when I have it out.

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2005, 06:54 PM

The slot loading drive has little bristles that cover the opening, like on car CD players. I would assume it stays virtually dust free.

KianD
Jan 4, 2005, 08:29 PM

Its beyond bristles - it seems to be the same material draught excluders are made from (for those of you who live in countries with good weather, things you put on doors/windows to stop air getting in in winter). However, even if it does get dusty, just blast it with compressed air - most small canisters have a nozzle that'll fit in through the slot.
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 02:21 PM

If you don't plan on using the drive much I would be safe and just place a line of scotch tape or something over the drive. It costs next to nothing and only takes a few seconds. Its also easy to remove and won't leave any permanent marks.

brickcam
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 03:32 PM

I'd be more concerned about your screen getting scratched. Watch out for dust collecting on your keyboard and then your keys scratching the lcd. No easy fix.
Cameron

afireinside
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 05:06 PM

Yeah if your gona be around dust that much deffinatly get a skin for the keyboard and screen. Optical driven should stay pretty clean. Some scotch tape over it would be safe if your that worried.

Forum Links
Forum Rules