Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Umax astra 2100U vs. CanonFB630u

Umax astra 2100U vs. CanonFB630u
beeH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2000, 06:30 PM

Umax astra 2100U vs. CanonFB630u.

Comp city has the umax for 90$ after rebate, the canon is 150$ after.
If $$ is not a factor What would YOU buy??

Which is a better scanner?

tnx
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

Dr. K
Jul 7, 2000, 09:40 AM

I work on a college campus for a computer reseller. We've had at least issues with 5 Umax scanners. Problem? They worked for about 5 weeks then just quit functioning. Umax fixed the problem but still, you'd think you'd get more than 5 weeks of use. Granted, they were in a lab and probably suffere some abuse, but the quality issue remains.

I have no experience with the Canon but I'd ask around about their quality control. Might want to check review at: http://www.computers.com

PrePress
Jul 7, 2000, 10:00 AM

Have you considered the AGFA 1212u - I have one, found it for approx $50.00 after rebate (was a beige model, though) - I use it at home and it works great - also the Snapscan software is very simple for a novice, spouse, or child to use.

Steph
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2000, 12:16 PM

I had a Canon FB630U for about 4 or 5 days. I did not get a single scan out of it before I finaly returned it.

Canon tech support was extremely dissapointing. The 'tech' of course knew nothing about Macs, so simply read off suggestions from a list, without understanding what any of them meant, and when none worked the final answer was 'Hmm.'

The scanner itself I am sure worked but none of the software worked right.

Now I'm back in the market for a new scanner.

-Steph

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2000, 12:30 PM

Have a look at the Epson Perfection 610. Super fast scans, excellent quality, USB, good basic software, around $150. I have had a Umax, Microtek, and Cannon. The Epson is better, in my opinion, for the price.

todrain
Senior User
Jul 7, 2000, 12:36 PM

$150 seems way too high for a Canon 630u. The suggested retail is $129, and there was a $30 mail in rebate.

I have a 630ui (it has the imac colored lid) and it works great with my iBook. The software that came with it for image editing wasn't so hot, but overall I'm really happy with it. (and the really cool thing about it is the size.. VERY small, and completely USB powered! Canon sells a $7 stand that lets you stand the scanner on it's side so that it takes even less room)

-Tom

Jaharmi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2000, 01:13 PM

I have used an Apple Color OneScanner (SCSI) and a UMAX Astra 1200 (USB) at work.

One thing I can say is that the scanning software makes a difference. The UMAX software, at least the consumer stuff, is crap. The interface is so ugly that I avoid scanning.

I am interested in this thread because I'd like to find a good USB or FireWire (hah, fat chance!) scanner in the sub-$200 price range that has good, solid Mac software. If it worked with TWAIN drivers, I supposed I could run it through GraphicConverter, which has new TWAIN support. (But I don't know much about TWAIN and what's required for this...)

From what I've heard, it sounds like AGFA and Epson have good software coupled with good scanners. I'll probably be focusing on those, and maybe the (more expensive) new HP model that's Mac compatible.

------------------
Jeremy J. Reichman, aka "Jaharmi"
Jeremy J. Reichman, aka "Jaharmi"

APW
Jul 7, 2000, 03:16 PM

I have the Umax 2100U and have never had one single problem with it! I am very pleased with the software and with the actual scans. It was up and running within minutes of unpacking it! I have had it for almost a year now and still works great!

JTVD
Jul 7, 2000, 04:05 PM

I have the Canon FB 636U and it is great, if slow. It is powered by the USB port and needs no power adapter.
I use it with a Wallstreet PB (USB PC-Card) without problem.
It is very sleek and small and light (silver metal lid). I travel with it and it is not much bigger than A4. Photoshop plug-in and Utility-software are o.k., if limited (but then my only compare are a Umax PowerLook 2100 XL A3 scanner and my old HP Scanjet 4c and the software was more customisable, but hey, the price�)
I am fully happy apart from the speed issue.( would liove them to make a self-powered Firewire scanner that size�)

beeH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2000, 08:27 PM

Thanx all!
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

kmschindler
Jul 8, 2000, 04:28 AM

I am considering an Agfa e50 of an Epson 1200 Photo. Price difference is marginal. My questions are, How do they compare in scan times, including prescan times and how well do they scan photo negatives? In one report about them it was mentioned that the agfa software is easy to use, but limited in what can be adjusted. I would prefer to have the option of an expert mode. Any comments on that? Thanks.

Steph
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2000, 01:48 AM

I just bought the Epson Perfection 610 (after hearing about it here) and I'm very happy with it. It was similarily priced to the Canon 630, but came with much better software, and best of all, it worked! The Adobe Photoshop (light) does everything I need, it works fast and the scans are certainly good enough for my needs.

-Steph

Forum Links
Forum Rules