Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sahara movie this Friday (Clive Cussler)

Sahara movie this Friday (Clive Cussler)
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 09:36 AM

Anyone going? I plan to although I'm worried it will stray too far from the book. But I guess that's the way it goes when turning books into movies. I'm not impressed with the stars chosen either. But I am a big Cussler fan.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 4, 2005, 09:44 AM

I saw the trailer. It doesn't look too impressive. I'll await the reviews though before I make the final decision whether or not to go, but if I were to choose now, the choice would be to skip it based on that trailer.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 4, 2005, 09:54 AM

It has already been reviewed twice and gotten thumbs up on both.
Even though there is a law suit from Clive Cussler regarding the script, he did aprove all the actors in the movie.

I know a few who have seen a preview and they think it will apeal to those who have and have not read his books. Except for a few inside jokes for readers.

It looks good, I'll see it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by budster101:
It has already been reviewed twice and gotten thumbs up on both.
Films In Review: relatively positive rating but no score given
Groucho Reviews: 2.5/4
Outtakes with Fiore: 6/10

ie. The reviews haven't been overly impressive just yet.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 4, 2005, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Films In Review: relatively positive rating but no score given
Groucho Reviews: 2.5/4
Outtakes with Fiore: 6/10

ie. The reviews haven't been overly impressive just yet.
From all the clips of the movie that I have seen, and I have been quite weary of any movie made from a Cussler book. (i.e., Raise the Titanic - DISASTER) They ruined that book as a movie!

SAHARA is a complete opposite. It's going to be a winner. If it gets 3 stars from any and all reviewers, it will be a Blockbuster. Just look at any movie made. 5 Stars are reserved for artsy films, 4 stars for chick flicks, and 3 stars for movies that men like. Heck, my wife is going to even like this movie.

The rights to the rest of his books have been bought by a production company already!

REVIEW LINK:

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=19774

INTERVIEW:

http://chud.com/interviews/2282
( Last edited by budster101; Apr 4, 2005 at 10:39 AM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 10:39 AM

From all the clips of the movie that I have seen, and I have been quite weary of any movie made from a Cussler book. (i.e., Raise the Titanic - DISASTER) They ruined that book as a movie!

SAHARA is a complete opposite. It's going to be a winner. If it gets 3 stars from any and all reviewers, it will be a Blockbuster. Just look at any movie made. 5 Stars are reserved for artsy films, 4 stars for chick flicks, and 3 stars for movies that men like. Heck, my wife is going to even like this movie.
Most chick flicks around here get mediocre reviews at best. And if Sahara is just one of those "movies that men like", and nothing more, then that's not very much praise for it, because a LOT of movies like that are utter crap IMHO (although I'm not saying Sahari is).

The rights to the rest of his books have been bought by a production company already!
That means nothing of course.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 11:01 AM

I like Cussler novels hopefully Hollywood won't screw up this time.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

budster101
Baninated
Apr 4, 2005, 11:05 AM

I'm reading Sahara again, and am half-way through Deception Point from Dan Brown.
Great Books.

Also: Polar Shift is going to be Clive's latest book. Looks like a great read.

- Link -

budster101
Baninated
Apr 4, 2005, 11:15 AM

I just won two passes to see the Chicago screening this Wednesday evening downtown!!!!

!~!

I'll post my review of the movie.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 08:53 PM

I'm reading Sahara again, and am half-way through Deception Point from Dan Brown.
Great Books.

Also: Polar Shift is going to be Clive's latest book. Looks like a great read.

I've had a hard time adjusting from Dirk (Sr.) and Al. It's just not the same.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 09:33 PM

i am looking foward to this.
on another note, sin city was awesome imo.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 4, 2005, 09:37 PM

Do please let us all know how well the movie compares to the book. I'm not a big Cussler fan (I've only read "Raise the Titanic"), but my son is a HUGE fan and is looking forward to the movie. If he knows it's "not the same story" then maybe he can enjoy it for itself.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sin City, just as soon as I can get time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2005, 11:01 AM

Saw it last night. Pretty good overall. Like most book-to-movie movies, it strayed but very enjoyable. A fun movie. Great action, good comedy. MM as Dirk was okay, Steve Zahn as Giordino wasn't the right pick. Zahn did a great job but I just don't think he's right for the role. I was pleasantly surprised.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2005, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I saw the trailer. It doesn't look too impressive. I'll await the reviews though before I make the final decision whether or not to go, but if I were to choose now, the choice would be to skip it based on that trailer.
As I suspected: RT gives it 42%. I think I'll pass. I've got a bunch of other movies I wanted to see first.

macroy
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 05:30 PM

I hope its more of a cable company. I think his books would do better in a miniseries type of thing. His stories are much too long for movies (Med. caper and Pacific Vortex may be the exceptions). Having said that - I'd like to see Vixon 03 and Night Probe on film.. those two and Iceberg were by far my favorites. Although its been about 20 years since I've read those books.

Raise the Titanic was just god awful. The film spanned what? 1/3 of the actual story??

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 10, 2005, 07:31 PM

The work of sensationalist novelists turned into equally meaningless glossy movies.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
sensationalist novelists

budster101
Baninated
Apr 11, 2005, 10:27 AM

Sensationalistic? Glossy?

Well this 'sensationally glossy movie' made 18.5M the first weekend! Topping the Box Office.

I guess you feel foolish, eh?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 11:02 AM

Oh my god, that trailer was a joke. If this thing doesn't bomb I will lose what remaining faith I have in the American people.
On the other hand, Penelope Cruz is hot.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Oh my god, that trailer was a joke. If this thing doesn't bomb I will lose what remaining faith I have in the American people.
The amazing piece of **** that is Sahara has demoted the amazingly 'innovative' piece of **** Sin City to 2nd place.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 12:34 PM

I guess you feel foolish, eh?
Bill Gates is a billionaire and Fifty Cent has four songs in the top ten. What does that say?

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 01:04 PM

Bill Gates is a billionaire and Fifty Cent has four songs in the top ten. What does that say?
Time to choose new music?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Time to choose new music?
New everything starting within.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 11, 2005, 01:36 PM

The amazing piece of **** that is Sahara has demoted the amazingly 'innovative' piece of **** Sin City to 2nd place.
You don't have a clue do you?

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 01:57 PM

You don't have a clue do you?
No. If I take a photo from my window you'd see that even those who live in Hollywood don't know how this **** happens.

Yours truly,

American Jesus

xenu
Senior User
Apr 12, 2005, 03:13 AM

From a review

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Reviews/S...489555954.html

You need to subscribe, so here is a snippet.

"Early in Clive Cussler's 1992 book Sahara, a mysterious illness turns African villagers into cannibals. The film version is more vegetarian. There is plenty of violent death, but no people-eating and no sex, despite the allure of the stars, Matthew McConaughey and Penelope Cruz.

That's because Sahara is a conservative Christian version of the action-adventure genre.

The key producer is Philip Anschutz, a Denver billionaire who made his fortune in oil, railways and media. He's a Presbyterian Republican who now owns about 20 per cent of America's cinemas. He produces movies that "tell uplifting stories appropriate for audiences of all ages", according to my press kit.

The godliness didn't stop him being sued last year by Cussler, a phenomenally successful writer. Cussler tried to stop production, claiming he had final script approval. He said the makers had sent him seven drafts, all of which he threw in the rubbish. He told them to go back to his original story. This is hilarious, because Cussler's story has elements that no one could make credible. The case is still going, despite the film's release.

snip

Three things sustain this nonsense. One is that Zahn can make any scene funny; he brings out the best in McConaughey by undermining his egotism. Another is scenery. The film, partly filmed in a remote corner of Morocco, takes us to places we've rarely seen, and some are breathtaking. Third, the film is expertly crafted by new director Breck Eisner (son of Disney maven Michael Eisner). Action and humour are well-balanced.

The Christian ethos is barely discernible. There's a bit of ecumenism when Dirk consults a helpful imam at a mosque, and a sense of sympathy for the victims of African civil wars, but the film is hardly a plea for international understanding and non-violence.

Action-adventure in foreign parts is often driven by racial stereotypes. Sahara tries to avoid it, but it goes with the territory: a lot of people end up dead as mutton in Sahara, and nearly all are black. Somehow, white people are just luckier in this genre."
( Last edited by xenu; Apr 12, 2005 at 03:19 AM. )
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 12, 2005, 10:11 AM

Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars. This is victory for any Action movie as it is the highest honor awarded by Ebert to any of them. It's going to do well and further the Clive Cussler movie franchise.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 12, 2005, 04:09 PM

Racist crap movie that cost $130 million to make.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 12, 2005, 04:32 PM

Racist crap movie that cost $130 million to make.
Racist? WTF?

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 12, 2005, 04:38 PM

Racist? WTF?
Your opinion doesn't matter because you're a WASP who lives in the boonies and still believes Saddam is on the run with 500 tons of WMD on his back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules