Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Macally iOpti jr.-mouse-mystery solved!

Macally iOpti jr.-mouse-mystery solved!
anna katzner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2002, 07:02 PM

i bought a Macally iOpti jr.-mouse for my iBook.
very neat mouse: small, optical, 3 buttons, scrollwheel.
(specs here: http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu...e/ioptijr.html )

but sometimes (apparently completely at random) the scroll-wheel would not work. drove me crazy, as i could not see any pattern as to when or why this would happen. tried any available driver etc. etc. etc.

only today i realized what the reason for this erratic behavior is: that d*rn clear plastic casing of the mouse!

see, the scroll-wheel still uses an opto-mechanical-sensor (like the old apple-mice e.g.) - and when it's too bright around the mouse (direct sunlight etc.) this sensor simply ceases to function. result: no scrollwheelo.

very simple. took me months to get behind this.

hope this helps someone. it very nearly drove me mad.

anna (sane again)

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 02:25 AM

I've got one of those mice too, but never had that problem (not near a window). A very interesting find, however. All we need now is some non-beta drivers (for Logitech mice too).

Forum Links
Forum Rules