Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which sound system for a cube

Which sound system for a cube
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2002, 05:31 PM

I would like to add new speakers to my cube but I find the sounsticks too expensive and also no so sexy. Any idea of another option ? (I know it must be USB)

thanks

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Skypat ]
S k y p a t

Petter
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2002, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Skypat:
<STRONG>I would like to add new speakers to my cube but I find the sounsticks too expensive and also no so sexy. Any idea of another option ? (I know it must be USB)
</STRONG>
Keep the speakers that came with the cube and get an iSub to it!
It does not work under os 9 but it do work perfect under os x 10.1.2! http://www.harman-multimedia.com/

...Both HK and Apple sells them for a cool $59 (583 SEK) right now!
I ordered mine this weekend and they just got status 'Shipped' this afternoon!
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.

marusin
Senior User
Jan 29, 2002, 06:53 PM

It works perfectly fine under OS 9... I've had my iSub well it ever worked for OS X...

Originally posted by Petter:
<STRONG>
It does not work under os 9 but it do work perfect under os x 10.1.2! </STRONG>

Petter
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2002, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by marusin:
<STRONG>It works perfectly fine under OS 9... I've had my iSub well it ever worked for OS X...

</STRONG>
So you can use both you isub and your prospeakers that came with the cube at the same time?!
Everything I have read says the opposite?! I tought os 9 could not route usb audio thru both usb at the same time?
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2002, 02:53 AM

Yes I am surprised to hear that. I know the iSub works fine on iMacs and towers but I have always read (and heard it from Apple as well) that iSub won't work on a cube with the original speakers connected.

Do you own a cube yourself ? And where do you connect the isub ? On a USB port directly ? I've got a USB hub, can it be connected there ?

Thanks !! Sounds like a perfect solution for me ...
S k y p a t

marusin
Senior User
Jan 30, 2002, 12:34 PM

I'm sorry, I was speaking about using the iSub itself working under OS 9. I have used the standalone iSub for quite a while with no problem (I don't use pro speakers under OS 9 however.. I don't use OS 9 anymore actually! )... Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I do use my iSub through a powered USB hub with no problems...

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: marusin ]

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2002, 01:00 PM

I received an email from Harman Kardon support team saying that the iSub will work on my cube, even if there seems to be a little problem under OS 10.1.2 ... "Apple is working on it" they added. An Apple representative told me iSub and the Cube work together without any problem.

So I orderd my iSUb from the Apple Store and I will tell you if it works correctly in association with the original speakers ... I should receive it by Monday or Tuesday.
S k y p a t

aladdinsane
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2002, 04:21 AM

If you have decent stereo get a USB Audio converter and play your music through stereo. I have a Cube and I used the USB speakers it shipped with for a few months. They are ok but far from good. I heard the soundsticks and I was very disappointed. I looked around for USB speakers and I figured my best bet would to go with USB audio converter and hook it up with my stereo.

After reading some reviews on various USB audio converters I bought one from StereoLink, and WOW it sounds great - beats any computer speakers I've ever heard.

After I got myself the Keyspan Remote control the quiet Cube is the perfect home audio system. I also listen to European radio (I'm in US) on it and having the sound coming from your stereo makes all the difference there.

When I was shopping around (1+ year ago) there were only few choices for USB audio but now there are some more. The StereoLink was (and still is I think) around $150. I saw the other day that Griffin (the iMic guys) came out with one the call PowerWave. That one is $99. Also many receivers support USB audio these days.

If you want supercheap USB converter, the Cube speakers have audio out you can use. It didn't give me enough power since my stereo is not very close to my desk.

USB audio is supported by Apple by default and no special drivers needed (same for Windows and Linux).

In my opinion this solution will give you the best sound by far for music or games.

And BTW I still love my Cube

aladdinsane
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2002, 04:32 AM

I just saw in another thread someone suggesting an USB Audio converter from a company called Xitel. He said it is $60.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2002, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the advice.

But it the meantime I ordered from the AppleStore an iSub ... so I connected the subwoofer to one USB port of the keyboard (no more USB available on the cube itself) and ... the verdict ... IT WORKS the iSub works perfectly together with the original speakers and the sound is much improved. My OS is 10.1.2

Thanks all for your ideas and support !
S k y p a t

Forum Links
Forum Rules