Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook 700 dim all of a sudden

ibook 700 dim all of a sudden
khans
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 06:04 PM

I have an Ibook G3 700 which until yesterday was working just great.

Never had any problems with it.

This morning I powered it on, and it appears it be working fine except that the display has become dim to the point of not being able to see anything on it. It's really really dim - basically unusable.

I hooked up an external display and everything else appears to be working fine. Just the display seems to have konked off.

Anybody seen this?

Unfortunately this machine doesn't have applecare on it. For people that have run into these type of problems any idea how much $ I'll need to spend to get it back up and running again?

thanks.

indigoimac
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 06:22 PM

I have seen it in fact I have the exact same machine with the exact same problem, unfortunately it is not economical to fix it. What I believe has happened is that the cable that runs from the insides to the monitor has cracked or something so what happens is whenever you move the screen it moves the cable and it shorts out the lcd. To get around this either use an external monitor or do what follows
1) shut down ibook wait a little while
2) open iBook to desired position
3)turn it on
4) don't adjust angle of screen close it w/e
This of course is not terribly practical and ur iBook has resigned itself from being a functional laptop
I have mine setup now as a print server and it is always open and all i have to do is walk up to it and it will wakeup and the backlight will turn on. It works but if I even touch the monitor it will go out again!
Sorry -indigo
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

damosan
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by khans
For people that have run into these type of problems any idea how much $ I'll need to spend to get it back up and running again?
There is a snippet of text on the Apple website that talks about repair costs for standard items such as screens...touchpads, etc. They class them into categories: sadly (though understandably) the screen is the most expensive item to repair.

I remember the cost being quite high though. It may be better to just purchase a new machine.

damosan
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 07:28 PM

Second thing to check...for some reason my screen brightness settings got hosed with the Tiger install. I had to manually go in and reset my brightness.

jasonv1
May 2, 2005, 07:35 PM

If you are lucky, inverter board. Fairly easy repair (on Ibooks anyway). The inverter board powers the LCD tube in the display, and is usually fairly cheap.

If you are unlucky, bad bulb on the display. This means new display (ouch).

Running third, system board.

I can get you a part number on the board (along with repair instructions) if needed. Just let me know if you want to try it yourself.

Jason

Originally Posted by khans
I have an Ibook G3 700 which until yesterday was working just great.

Never had any problems with it.

This morning I powered it on, and it appears it be working fine except that the display has become dim to the point of not being able to see anything on it. It's really really dim - basically unusable.

I hooked up an external display and everything else appears to be working fine. Just the display seems to have konked off.

Anybody seen this?

Unfortunately this machine doesn't have applecare on it. For people that have run into these type of problems any idea how much $ I'll need to spend to get it back up and running again?

thanks.
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

khans  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 07:46 PM

Hi Jason,

Part # + instructions would be good.

thanks.

khans  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 08:08 PM

Anyone know if this kind of repair comes under the ibook logic board repair program?

Haven't checked the serial # but I believe it was manufactured around that time.

thanks.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2005, 09:26 PM

Maybe what you're looking for is this reed switch?

If you don't know how to fix it, I think it's best to leave it to AppleCare... but it won't be cheap since you've got no AppleCare Protection Plan (ACPP).

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules