Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network copy keeps hanging!

Network copy keeps hanging!
orry_main
Forum Regular
May 26, 2005, 01:53 AM

I backed up some copies over my apartment network to my roommate's iBook. Now, copying them back to my iBook, the copy keeps hanging in the Finder and giving me strange file not found messages. It went fine one way, why should it have any trouble coming back?

Any other ideas for getting these files back onto my machine?

(We're both running Tiger and both have iBook G3 800 with 384 ram)

orry_main  (op)
Forum Regular
May 26, 2005, 08:24 AM

Just a thought: would connecting one of the computers in FireWire mode to the other and then copying the files work around this? I assume this is a network issues, or is possibly a problem with the files themselves? As I said, there was no problem with the initial backup.

ghporter
Administrator
May 26, 2005, 08:54 AM

I have to wonder if the files were actually properly copied when you initially backed them up. I'm also curious how well everything in Tiger runs when you're using it on a G3 with only 384MB of RAM. The first thing I'd do is examine the files on your roommate's iBook and determine whether or not they are actually there, and if so if they're intact. You may also get better results by copying the files back in smaller groups rather than all at once.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

orry_main  (op)
Forum Regular
May 26, 2005, 06:20 PM

Tiger is running great on this happy little G3.

I've just booted up in FireWire mode and the copy hung again. So perhaps you're right in thinking that something went awry the first time. I'm going to try with smaller batches for the moment. It does seem to hang always around the same time, so there are perhaps some files obstructing the procedure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules