Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Mac unable to contact DNS, every other machine fine

Mac unable to contact DNS, every other machine fine
KianD
Oct 5, 2005, 11:41 AM

Got a bit of a weird problem here, and I'm not even sure its OS X's fault, but anyway

I've got a pretty standard network setup - Cisco 850 DSL router, Linksys WRT-54G, everything DHCP. I had the same setup a while back, with different DNS servers to what I had now, and it was run through a corporate proxy upstream - it isn't anymore

All my machine get given an internal IP addy, and gateway details as well as the DNS server (external to my network) on startup. As does the Mac.

However, the Mac cannot see the DNS server. It has the DNS adress detals correct, everything seems to be working fine - but it can neither ping the DNS server, or resolve the host. I've tried giving it its configuration statically, but this makes no difference. Its the same if its connected via cable to either router, or by wireless.

The same machine under Linux can. Other machines under other operating systems (Windows XP, BeOS 5) can.

I can't see anything with my router config that could exclude a machine based on the OS, and theres nothing excluding the MAC adress of either the wireless or wired network cards. Is there something fundamentally odd about the way OS X handles DNS requests that'd stop it working? And how would that prevent it from even pinging the DNS server when other machines can?
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 5, 2005, 05:34 PM

Do you have the right gateway address in the Mac? When doing all those settings, it's easy to miss a manual gateway setting. DHCP should give all of them to the Mac, but you're not completely clear on whether you have a script running or you're using DHCP instead.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KianD  (op)
Oct 6, 2005, 03:16 AM

I'm using DHCP, the Mac has the right gateway

I forgot to add that it can ping both local machines and internet machines - but only by IP, not hostname.
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2005, 09:30 AM

Do you have a specialized hosts file on the Mac?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KianD  (op)
Oct 6, 2005, 10:07 AM

No, this is why I'm utterly confused as to whats wrong.

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2005, 11:53 AM

sometimes dhcp just goes flakey. Try entering the DNS servers manually & see what happens

KianD  (op)
Oct 8, 2005, 06:06 AM

I found the problem - there was a bogus route in the routing table on the Mac.

Didn't think of checking it as I didn't think you'd have to, but hey, thats UNIX.

KianD  (op)
Oct 8, 2005, 06:28 AM

A bogus route which keeps reappearing, it seems - put the Mac into standby and when it came out, the route was back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules