Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Pictures of your iMac setup

Pictures of your iMac setup (Page 13)
iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 01:33 PM

i take it that its a 20" iMac spanning onto the dell crt? if so, how does expose run when youre spanning and have you crt set to its highest resolution, and what vram configuration do you have?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
i take it that its a 20" iMac spanning onto the dell crt? if so, how does expose run when youre spanning and have you crt set to its highest resolution, and what vram configuration do you have?
Expose works normally (windows stay on their respect displays). I have 256MB of vram.

Michael Jolly
Feb 20, 2006, 05:56 PM

Hello to you all got my iMac core duo thought you might like to see my set up, with my 14inch iBook

Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

Mizzou02RS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 05:59 PM

I finally got my new Intel iMac setup in today...it is great, let me tell ya...very sleek and fast...the other goodies are great, too. :cheesy:

This was my present to myself from the money Uncle Sam was keeping from me.

20" iMac
2.0 gHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB RAM
500 gigabyte HDD
256 MB Graphics Memory

Klipsch ProMedia GMX-A 2.1 speakers
Canon MP450 Multifunction printer

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 20, 2006, 06:14 PM

nice !

i wish i'd ordered the 500 gig !!!

saxondale.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 07:21 PM

Dont you guys find 20" tad big and the 17" a tad small Well i do :/

Michael Jolly
Feb 20, 2006, 07:27 PM

i like my 17 inch its just the right size any bigger i would have no space, though a larger HD would be nice
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

jwoods
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 08:08 PM

I like the 20". I wished they offered, say....a 25in or bigger, but the 20 seems to be about right.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by saxondale.
Dont you guys find 20" tad big and the 17" a tad small Well i do :/
The 20" is not big enough! (that's why I have my desktop spanned with a 21" CRT)

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 11:09 PM

yo Mizzou02RS, those Klipsch speaks are super nice. I was going to order a set, but I cant find them anymore, granted I didn try very hard at all.

Mizzou02RS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
yo Mizzou02RS, those Klipsch speaks are super nice. I was going to order a set, but I cant find them anymore, granted I didn try very hard at all.
I got them at Amazon.com...about $142. They have them.

Do a search on Shopzilla.com or Yahoo shopping, too.

macwayne
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 11:47 PM

I would be first in line if Apple released a 23 inch iMac. I don't see why not. It's technically possible and they could price it at $2199.00. Stock it with a 500g hard drive and 1Gig memory standard and you couldn't keep the thing on the shelves.

Michael Jolly
Feb 21, 2006, 01:27 PM

macwayne you couldn't keep the thing on the shelves
yes you could hardly any would be able to lift it lol

Apple addict Since 2004

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 03:30 AM

you could bet your bottom dollar that apple will release a HD iMac later this year. im not one to start a rumor, but it'd be stupid for them not to make one available. either a 23" display, or HD 20.??" screen

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2006, 02:35 AM

Hi, this is my first post here. I recently switched to Apple with a 20" Intel iMac w/ 2g of ram, the 256mb video card, and 250g hard drive. I love it.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2006, 03:36 AM

ordered my imac yesterday...i cant wait!!! wednesday cant get her fast enough!!!! welcome boingo bongo.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by macwayne
you couldn't keep the thing on the shelves.
Originally Posted by Michael Jolly
yes you could hardly any would be able to lift it lol
Even the shelves might not be able to lift it. Maybe that's what he meant.

I feel that the bigger the screen gets on the iMac (or any integrated machine) the less I can justify getting it, because I'd want a faster machine every year or so. It's a pity to have to move the screen on as well.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
ordered my imac yesterday...i cant wait!!! wednesday cant get her fast enough!!!! welcome boingo bongo.
Thanks! It's an awesome computer, I'm sure you will love it.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006, 06:52 PM

My setup...

My humble setup including my 20" iMac Core Duo, 17" PowerBook running at 1.67GHz, a 20" Dell FP connected to my Dell Fedora Core 4 Linux box and my iMac. There's a Treo 650 in there somewhere too, another PC that keep at home for running backups from the office over SSH. My dog Rocco is chilling down in the bottom right corner of the photo. Anna Kournikova graces my Dell FP and the lovely Rachel Weisz of The Mummy fame (and others) is featured on my iMac display. Please also note the 10+ year old Bengals coffee mug, and original Apple Macintosh mouse pad that shipped with the original Mac.

For Flickr fans...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46409273@N00/107362444/
( Last edited by chrisutley; Mar 3, 2006 at 08:17 PM. )
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 06:55 PM

whoa...i was supposed to receive this sucker on wed...till i got a phone call from work telling me there was a package awaiting my arrival. will share in 4-5hrs!!!

S_Young
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2006, 01:03 PM

I just ordered the following...

- iMac 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo (2GB RAM / 250GB HDD / 256MB video RAM)
- AppleCare Protection Plan
- iPod nano 4GB Black

...and with my discount through the university, I got a saving of £285.85!

Delivery within 6-10 days - I can't wait!

HungrySeacow
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by chrisutley
My setup...

My humble setup including my 20" iMac Core Duo, 17" PowerBook running at 1.67GHz, a 20" Dell FP connected to my Dell Fedora Core 4 Linux box and my iMac. There's a Treo 650 in there somewhere too, another PC that keep at home for running backups from the office over SSH. My dog Rocco is chilling down in the bottom right corner of the photo. Anna Kournikova graces my Dell FP and the lovely Rachel Weisz of The Mummy fame (and others) is featured on my iMac display. Please also note the 10+ year old Bengals coffee mug, and original Apple Macintosh mouse pad that shipped with the original Mac.

For Flickr fans...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46409273@N00/107362444/
Looks like a nice chair . I hate mine .
YummySoup! - Recipe management and sharing at its best!

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2006, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by HungrySeacow
Looks like a nice chair . I hate mine .
Decent office furniture can cost a fortune, but I think this thing was a bargain. It's sturdy and quite comfortable, and it was just $150 at Best Buy.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2006, 12:40 AM

I bought a pretty nice chair too. It's similar to yours and about the same price. I thought it was expensive, but when I considered how much time is spent in it, it seemed silly to go the cheap route on something like that.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 03:36 AM

i hate finals...heres the temporary setup for now. final setup will be up in two weeks time.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2006, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo
Hi, this is my first post here. I recently switched to Apple with a 20" Intel iMac w/ 2g of ram, the 256mb video card, and 250g hard drive. I love it.

Thats a great computer to have as a first mac. Im sure youl love it.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2006, 02:02 AM

It's a total joy to use. I really love everything about it. It's exactly what I expect a computer to be. Everytime I show it to someone, they can hardly believe it.

dale
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 06:54 AM

It's a total joy to use. I really love everything about it. It's exactly what I expect a computer to be. Everytime I show it to someone, they can hardly believe it.
Hi BoingoBongo.

I have just joined you in the apple world. I bought my first Mac yesterday!!! I too went for the 20" iMac, but decided against the 256MB upgrade in the end. My wife wanted instant gratification so we took the model that the store had (base model). It will get another GB of memory from crucial later in the month to let me do video work on it.

I have to say I am very happy, and I am starting to get used to the little quirks already. One thing you could help me with though, is - how do you get the functionality of the PC's "end" key?

As soon as I have transfered the all the documents and settings from our ancient Dell PC, I will post Pictures.

Altair
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by dale
[snip]
I have to say I am very happy, and I am starting to get used to the little quirks already. One thing you could help me with though, is - how do you get the functionality of the PC's "end" key?

As soon as I have transfered the all the documents and settings from our ancient Dell PC, I will post Pictures.
If a program doesn't work like you are used to with respect to home and end keys, then try using control + right/left arrow keys. To skip words like in windows I believe it's alt(option) + arrow. These little changes are kinda annoying but you get used to it after a while.

BTW congrats on the new mac. I wish that I had one that's newer than 3 years old.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

HungrySeacow
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 05:58 PM

I updated my IKEA Jerker desk with a modification to prevent it from wobbling. I know a few guys here have the desk, so check out my general post on the desk if you are interested.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=288944
YummySoup! - Recipe management and sharing at its best!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2006, 06:41 PM

Here is a old pic of my iMac G5 17 inch in the background, and a friends 20 inch G5. They are both the same specs, but his has 512 mb of RAM and mine has 768. Since this pic was taken last year we have gotten a Netgear Rangemax router.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2006, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by dale
Hi BoingoBongo.

I have just joined you in the apple world. I bought my first Mac yesterday!!! I too went for the 20" iMac, but decided against the 256MB upgrade in the end. My wife wanted instant gratification so we took the model that the store had (base model). It will get another GB of memory from crucial later in the month to let me do video work on it.

I'm glad you like your new computer too. I just can't say enough good things about mine. Learning OSX has been a little tricky, but I find it fun. It has so much more functionality than Windows. I never had and serious problems with Windows, but it just wasn't this polished.

dale
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Altair
If a program doesn't work like you are used to with respect to home and end keys, then try using control + right/left arrow keys. To skip words like in windows I believe it's alt(option) + arrow. These little changes are kinda annoying but you get used to it after a while.

BTW congrats on the new mac. I wish that I had one that's newer than 3 years old.
Perfect. My wife will be over the moon with this......
.....just got to work out what I am doing wrong with install of HPIJS on OSX Tiger now!!

dale
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 11:36 AM

I'm glad you like your new computer too. I just can't say enough good things about mine. Learning OSX has been a little tricky, but I find it fun. It has so much more functionality than Windows. I never had and serious problems with Windows, but it just wasn't this polished.
I agree. Things that might have been difficult on a windows box are so much easier on OSX. My wife and I have setup different logins, but I have found that we can "share" an iPhoto library. Not being able to do this would have caused problems.

alice_curiouser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 01:01 AM

This is my new iMac when I first set it up. The desk is also new, so nothing is arranged yet. I reserve the right to post a better pic when I get everything set up and make a few additions (like my i360 and a "baby" iMac).

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I[/FONT] [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]My Mac![/FONT]

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2006, 02:52 AM

finally had some time to spruce things up a bit, im sure we all agree that that this is much better than the image posted a week or so before. enjoi.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2006, 09:57 PM

Here is a newer image of our iMac.

mjames
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2006, 12:07 AM

21" 2.5 Ghz Core i5 iMac | 13" 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook
20" Cinema Display | iPhone 4 32 GB

Altair
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2006, 02:35 AM

mjames: How good are the Sennheiser 595s? I'm thinking of getting a new set of headphones in the next year or so. I currently have the 570s (though I'm waiting on a replacement cable which is taking forever for them to ship).
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by alice_curiouser
This is my new iMac when I first set it up. The desk is also new, so nothing is arranged yet. I reserve the right to post a better pic when I get everything set up and make a few additions (like my i360 and a "baby" iMac).
Hello Kitty protects you from prying eyes? Or is just there as decoration? For people with the built-in iSight iMacs; it can't be controlled remotely, without you being aware of the fact, can it? The little green light is on whenever it is active, yes?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

jackdoyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2006, 05:20 PM

i love this thing.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2006, 01:01 AM

Here's mine. It's a really bad angle but oh well

Specs:
-------------
20" Intel iMac Duo Core with 2 gigs of ram, 256 megs of vram, 250 gig hard drive, dual booted with OS X and Windows XP (merely for games, I can't stand Windows), and an Acer 1916w 19" LCD wall-mounted and extended from my iMac.

( Last edited by stefanicotine; Jun 9, 2006 at 12:48 AM. )

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2006, 01:03 AM

Ack, I double posted. Sorry guys! But I don't know how to delete my posts so I just changed it to this.

alice_curiouser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by megasad
Hello Kitty protects you from prying eyes? Or is just there as decoration? For people with the built-in iSight iMacs; it can't be controlled remotely, without you being aware of the fact, can it? The little green light is on whenever it is active, yes?
Mega - iSight can't be controlled remotely as far as I know, but it freaks me out all the same. Periotically, OSX thinks I should take advantage ("hey, want to make an avatar?") and it springs to life. I prefer not to see sudden images of myself (usually with no makeup and hair all awry), so I keep it covered. So, in answer to your question, Hello Kitty is protecting me from myself.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I[/FONT] [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]My Mac![/FONT]

mjames
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Altair
mjames: How good are the Sennheiser 595s? I'm thinking of getting a new set of headphones in the next year or so. I currently have the 570s (though I'm waiting on a replacement cable which is taking forever for them to ship).
They are really good. More comfortable than my 280s, which squeezed my head together and were just too closed-sounding for my liking (though I'm keeping them around for circumstances when I need isolation). The one worry is they are rather flimsy — even holding them, they wobble. And they aren't good for transporting as they don't fold like the 280s, but for pure sound and looks, they are awesome. I got mine for $200 on sale at Amazon, so just look for good prices.
21" 2.5 Ghz Core i5 iMac | 13" 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook
20" Cinema Display | iPhone 4 32 GB

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 2, 2006, 11:35 AM

768p on this Dell W2606C LCD TV looks great. Unfortunately, while 720p H.264 works fine on the iMac, as soon as I attach the Dell, my G5 2.0 iMac starts to stutter a bit with 720p playback on the Dell (particularly if the video is scaled to 768p). I guess dual screen + scaling is just a little too much for this computer on 720p H.264. A Core Duo iMac shouldn't have any problem with this though.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker

768p on this Dell W2606C LCD TV looks great. Unfortunately, while 720p H.264 works fine on the iMac, as soon as I attach the Dell, my G5 2.0 iMac starts to stutter a bit with 720p playback on the Dell (particularly if the video is scaled to 768p). I guess dual screen + scaling is just a little too much for this computer on 720p H.264. A Core Duo iMac shouldn't have any problem with this though.
That Dell LCD looks REALLY wide for its height, as though its like a 30:10 aspect ratio....!

Edit: Just turned my brightness all the way up, and I can just make out there are speakers at each side of the screen! My bad...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 2, 2006, 11:46 AM

Hmmm... I just tried the 720p King Kong H.264 video and it plays just fine. Sweet. However, this one is only 1280x544 @ 24 fps, not the full 1280x720 @ 30 fps NASA video I tried earlier.

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
That Dell LCD looks REALLY wide for its height, as though its like a 30:10 aspect ratio....!
I forgot to mention that the speakers are black, and are on either side.

Katya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 01:26 AM

I finally switched! My 17" iMac Core Duo arrived last Friday and I just spent the whole weekend playing with it. It only has 512 MB RAM as of now but I'm upgrading it to 1.5GB as soon as the RAM is available.

fhoubi
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 03:51 PM

Part of the gang...

I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules