Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery Calibration

Battery Calibration
Z4cane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 04:08 PM

I have seen this mentioned in a couple of threads. Can someone explain the procedure?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Nov 19, 2006, 04:44 PM

Take a look here Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Basically, what you do is:

(1) Fully charge the battery (indicator goes green)

(2) Run the battery down until the machine goes to sleep on its own. You may continue to use the machine during this time.

(3) Recharge the battery completely.

(4) Repeat every 30 battery cycles or so.

Note that the procedure differs slightly depending on what kind of notebook you have, so follow Apple's directions in the aforementioned link for your particular model.
( Last edited by frdmfghtr; Nov 19, 2006 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Clarification regarding different models)

Z4cane  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Take a look here Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Basically, what you do is:

(1) Fully charge the battery (indicator goes green)

(2) Run the battery down until the machine goes to sleep on its own. You may continue to use the machine during this time.

(3) Recharge the battery completely.

(4) Repeat every 30 battery cycles or so.

Note that the procedure differs slightly depending on what kind of notebook you have, so follow Apple's directions in the aforementioned link for your particular model.
OK, thanks. That's what I have been doing so far.

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 12:13 PM

It's a lot more involved with the MacBooks (check your user manual) which is why I haven't bothered to do it after the first time.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
It's a lot more involved with the MacBooks (check your user manual) which is why I haven't bothered to do it after the first time.
It seems a lot less involved since it tells you in Step 5 to Turn it off and let it sleep.
retired pismo 400 G4, macbook 2.0GHz, mac pro 2.66GHz

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by d_oob View Post
It seems a lot less involved since it tells you in Step 5 to Turn it off and let it sleep.
Overall, a lot more downtime compared to the simple drain battery, recharge, and go that was common for G4 PowerBooks.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2006, 11:17 PM

I've had my Macbook since Friday but the battery seems to drain really quick. I've let the battery drain and then fully charge it however, as soon as I start using the Macbook the battery starts to go down to 95% within minutes and then 80-85% within 15 minutes.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Nov 22, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by loveanh View Post
I've had my Macbook since Friday but the battery seems to drain really quick. I've let the battery drain and then fully charge it however, as soon as I start using the Macbook the battery starts to go down to 95% within minutes and then 80-85% within 15 minutes.
Did you try the calibration procedure? I thought I remember reading something long ago about doing a calibration run when your battery is first put into service.

Z4cane  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 10:35 PM

Did you try the calibration procedure? I thought I remember reading something long ago about doing a calibration run when your battery is first put into service.
I calibrated mine when I first got it after reading about it here. Iam seeing about 3.5 to 4 hours. I am a little disappointed though, I was expecting 4.5 to 5 (up to 6 according to Apple).

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Nov 22, 2006, 11:57 PM

"Up to" is the key phrase.

I can get up to 6 hours on my iBook, if I turn down the screen brightness, don't switch around between apps or have too many running, and set the background to all black. I read that black is a pixel's "rest state" and doesn't require as much power as displaying a color. I can't confirm or deny that, but it does seem to help the battery last longer.

Most of the time, 4.5 to 5 hours is typical, which is a good deal better than my old HP (3 hours at best with a new battery.)

Z4cane  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2006, 12:04 AM

"Up to" is the key phrase.

I can get up to 6 hours on my iBook, if I turn down the screen brightness, don't switch around between apps or have too many running, and set the background to all black. I read that black is a pixel's "rest state" and doesn't require as much power as displaying a color. I can't confirm or deny that, but it does seem to help the battery last longer.

Most of the time, 4.5 to 5 hours is typical, which is a good deal better than my old HP (3 hours at best with a new battery.)
Yes, "up to" is definitely a key phrase, but I would think that 4.5 to 5 should be reasonable just surfing the internet. I have the screen at about 1/3rd brightness, and I don't even have the bluetooth tuned on. I mean, if I was trying to run three programs at once, dl some music, and watch a DVD at the same time, I would expect the battery to suffer. But not just surfing.

Kamikaze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2006, 10:53 AM

I thought I'd chime in if you guys don't mind.
My MB set screen to the lowest visable setting and just surfing, watching CNN video adn emailing is getting a minimum of 4:30 I get closer to 5hrs, just surfing.
My MBP set up the same way is only getting 3:40 Maximum.
The GF's 12" iBook is getting 6 hours. I think it's the diff in the screen size.

I wish Apple would bring out a 12" MB OR MBP
Free Your Mind

Macbook Pro CD, 2ghz, 1gb,100gb 7200, 128mb
Macbook (Black) CD, 2ghz, 1gb, 80gb, 64mb
12" iBook, 1.25ghz, 1.25gb, 60gb, 32mb
iMac (24" of Glory) C2D, 2.16ghz, 1gb, 250gb, 128mb

boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 01:58 AM

I didn't think turning off Blurtooth will save me some time... but if it does just a little bit, then I will from now on.
My MBP C2D is charging all the time. I take it with me in other places in my house not very often. When I do, I keep it on the lowest display brightness (mind you, this screen is so bright that it actually hurt my eyes to have it all the way up anyway) I get about 4 hours if I'm lucky. A little disappointing since I can get at least 5 on my white MB.
Anyone has any other suggestion to extand use on a single charge?

Kamikaze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 11:05 AM

aside from the normal stuff turn down screen brightness or off all items not in use the only other item is new and on some forums controversial.
www.coolbook.se

this allows you to set the max mhz onthe cpu and/or undervolt it.

I'll be trying Coolbook today
Free Your Mind

Macbook Pro CD, 2ghz, 1gb,100gb 7200, 128mb
Macbook (Black) CD, 2ghz, 1gb, 80gb, 64mb
12" iBook, 1.25ghz, 1.25gb, 60gb, 32mb
iMac (24" of Glory) C2D, 2.16ghz, 1gb, 250gb, 128mb

Forum Links
Forum Rules