Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My First Laptop

My First Laptop
ryter221
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 12:00 AM

I'm no stranger to the Macs, and I've been using them for a few years, but my experience has been confined to the desktop (an iMac G4, an iMac G5, and an Intel iMac. I like iMacs.)

However, this week, for the first time I'll be receiving my first ever Macbook, which happens to also be my first laptop of any platform. Whenever I read tech magazines or browsed the web, I always skipped over any articles with useful tips for laptop users or cool things you can do with your Macbook.

So, what I'm hoping to get is any tips, advice, tricks, useful hardware or software to get, the essentials, and pretty much anything a laptop user, as well as a Macbook user, needs.

Thanks!
( Last edited by ryter221; Nov 26, 2006 at 12:30 PM. )
"This grain of sand looks pretty suspicious. And so does this rock! And I've got some questions for this little piece of grass!"

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2006, 12:53 AM

I have 2 programs I use on my laptop that are very useful...

Though you may use it already, Quicksilver is more useful on a laptop(no mouse needed). As well I find iStumbler useful while out to check wireless strength.
My Blog-pakos.me

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2006, 05:36 AM

I'm in the same boat as you, Ryter. Nothing but desktops until this week. Mine should be here on the 29th, how about yours?

As far as laptop apps go, check out iAlertU. It's basically a car alarm for your MacBook. They have videos of it in use on YouTube, and if you do a google search for it there's a download 3 or 4 links down.

Also check out Virtues if you're into virtual desktops. You can use the motion sensor on your MacBook to switch between desktops. A little tap on the side. I'd feel kind of guilty smacking my MacBook, but it's a cool thing to show off at least.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Z4cane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 11:37 AM

I have been using a notebook for many years, don't know how I could be without one. This is my first Macbook though. I love it (though I wish the battery life was better).

ryter221  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 12:30 PM

Thanks, I do use Quicksilver and I'll deifnitely be using it on the Macbook. I also use VirtueDesktops, so that'll be another addition, though what's required for the Smacking feature to work?

Thanks so far for all the advice!
"This grain of sand looks pretty suspicious. And so does this rock! And I've got some questions for this little piece of grass!"

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2006, 04:01 PM

I think the smackbook feature is built in to the latest version now
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Forum Links
Forum Rules