Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Is Sound Check broken or am I missing something?

Is Sound Check broken or am I missing something?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2007, 08:42 AM

I've turned Sound Check in iTunes (version 7.2) on. On my 5G iPod (latest firmware installed) I've set Sound Check to on as well. But no matter what I have to adjust volume all the time. Some songs are definitely louder than others. Am I missing something or is Sound Check broken?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 03:10 AM

So, does nobody else have the problem or is there just no known workaround?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 08:41 AM

Oh brilliant.

I had a really nice and long reply typed up, but the ****ING DATABASE SERVER EATED IT.

Re-hash follows:

There are many factors affecting how loud a song appears to be, and the Sound Check can only address what is arguably the LEAST important criterion: the maximum level in the song.

It says nothing about the AVERAGE level of the song (an Jack Johnson album of just guitar and vocals will be mastered to the exact same maximum peak level of -0 dB as Ravel's "Bolero", which starts of with a pianissimo snare and oboe, and climaxes with a full 60-piece orchestra playing forte fortissimo. At the same volume setting, you WILL strain to hear the snare), nor does it say anything about the actual LOUDNESS of the song.

Newer productions will tend to be heavily dynamically compressed, making them sound louder and "thicker" (and also much more tiring to the ear), but also destroying the natural dynamics that make music interesting (and often enough these days, literally destroying the sound of the music itself by over-compression). You'll find that on newer productions (and also on the dreaded "remastered" versions of old recordings), often, the guitar intro will be just as loud as the final chorus, with full band, four guitars, backing vocals, and 40-piece string orchestra. This is obviously not natural, but results in a much higher perceived loudness of the entire production, especially in direct comparison with better-produced/older/classical/jazz recordings.

There is nothing you can do - and certainly no automated mechanism - to counteract this except listen to music the way it was intended: as a full album. Albums are usually produced to a unified sound, so you won't need to touch the volume dial until you put on the next album.

bradbissell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2007, 10:16 AM

You could download iVolume. This tends to do a better job of processing the song volume than iTunes sound check. You can also change the average dB volume so ripped songs match purchased iTunes song levels. This program helped my music collection, but it also costs a nominal fee to register.
Macbook C2D 2.0 Ghz w/ 2GB Ram, 5G 30GB iPod

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 10:46 AM

That actually looks pretty good!

iVolume

They use the replaygain algorithm outlined here: Replay Gain - A proposed standard

I'm impressed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules