Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Your favorite Mac of all time?

Your favorite Mac of all time? (Page 2)
The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2002, 12:57 PM

1) 128k Mac, with MacPaint. Seduced me away from the Dark Side forever.
2) Cube. Simply an aesthetic marvel, more useful than people thought it was.
3) Mac IIsi. My first color Mac. Firing up the display for the first time was an incredible experience.

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 01:08 PM

I'd have to say the Apple IIc+ that I still own. Lemonaid stand was awesome baby!

PrinceMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2002, 01:13 PM

The Macintosh LC was a Beauty. And it was bargain for shade over $2000 at the time The simplicty of the design and it's matching 12 inch monitor made it a perfect fit on my desk in high school.

While I personally hated the design of my PowerMac 7100/66. That thing chugged beautifully for 4 years, until the acid in the clock battery leaked and screwed up the motherboard

PrinceMac

VanToffler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2002, 02:31 PM

Jerome, you are all about the raw power, eh? That's not your picture now, eh? Don't go posting a pic of Tom Selleck or whatever next...

The MacTV ... gosh another Mac I forgot all about. Back then I thought I was going to die if I didn't get one, but lucky for me I got over it before I could afford one of those slugs.

Originally posted by Jerome:
<STRONG>1. My G4 350Mhz (the first G4 I could get) for its stability and reliability.
2. The dual 800 QuickSilver for its power.

And no, that's not really my picture...</STRONG>

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by PrinceMac:
<STRONG>The Macintosh LC was a Beauty. And it was bargain for shade over $2000 at the time The simplicty of the design and it's matching 12 inch monitor made it a perfect fit on my desk in high school.

While I personally hated the design of my PowerMac 7100/66. That thing chugged beautifully for 4 years, until the acid in the clock battery leaked and screwed up the motherboard

PrinceMac</STRONG>

Wow i too owned the 7100/66 and it to lasted for about the same length, it died the same way too.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 03:19 PM

Hi all for me it has to be my pismo, i mean i owned several macs powermac 7100/66, apple][; But the form factor of the powerbook 500(pismo) that sold me.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

SpotBug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2002, 03:29 PM

I loved my original, 128K Mac - it was just soooo cool.

The IIsi I finally bought was nice 'cause it had color - wow!

PowerBook 1400c/166. Awesome laptop. Still use it.

But, I'd have to say the best Mac of all time was the IIci. That little Mac rocked!

edit: forgot my PB1400

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: SpotBug ]

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2002, 04:09 PM

I love my Pismo too � its design, keyboard, modular-licousness, screen, everything.

But I really liked my old Macintosh SE. I thought the form and small footprint were great (and practical for the small dorm rooms I was in), and for me its details were much better thanthe MacPlus', despite the fan. I loved the built-in hard drive with its crude LED � as if it needed an LED; that drive would raise a racket whenever the computer accessed data.

Ah, like a cracklin' fire. I think it'd be cool if someone stuffed modern components and a screen back into the SE's form factor (don't much care for either iMac attempts).

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Timo ]

JUnderwood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 04:20 PM

cube, TAM and G4 iMac.

"I am a fool for things that look really futuristic and this is about as futuristic as they come" -- Seal on the New iMac

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 04:41 PM

Tough.

Either it's the Duo 270c, which I think was smaller than the current iBook, but at that time packed an active matrix LCD with thousands of colors...

... or then it's my Cube, sitting there a few metres away, perfectly silent, running Apache/PHP, and making me feel good every time I see it.

After some consideration - the Cube.

J

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2002, 04:43 PM

Most liked:

PB 1400c
PB 170 (bring back the trackball!)
Lisa (does that count?)
Most G4 Towers

Most Hated:

PB 5300c (unreliable pile o crap)

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2002, 04:52 PM

My current set-up of a 450 Cube and 500 2001 iMac is the first time I've been satisfied with my Mac(s) and haven't really felt an overwhelming urge to upgrade every six month.

That said, though, my favorite Mac was definitely my 292 G3 PowerBook. The sexy/sleek/sturdy combination of that portable didn't reappear until the 2001 iBook.
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2002, 05:52 PM

Macs i owned in my life:

Performa 580, Performa 5200, Performa 6500, PM 8500, PM 7200, iMac 333 Grape, PowerMac G4 350, Powerbook G3 (pismo).

I have to say, i love my pismo above them all. I love the case design, it stinks of style (wicked curves). You see this from a distance, u know its a mac. I dont like the new powerbook g4, u dont get that distinction IMHO. The keys on screen thing is the only thing that i can complain about, but its still the best mac i ever owned.

Current specs: Powerbook G3 400Mhz / 512MB / 20GB w/ OSX

VanToffler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2002, 07:07 PM

Seal must have a weekly standing UPS shipment from Cuppertino, with the way the guy is pushing Apple products.

You Cube owners are making me wonder what I'm missing. Now that they are way down in price, they are much more attractive. What's the fastest Cube out there right now? I need to find some benchmarks on those things...

Originally posted by JUnderwood:
<STRONG>cube, TAM and G4 iMac.

"I am a fool for things that look really futuristic and this is about as futuristic as they come" -- Seal on the New iMac</STRONG>

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 04:52 PM

stylewriter! with a whopping 0.5 ppm

climber
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 05:46 PM

Anything with an Apple logo on the front

Mac Plus
Quadra 950
climber

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 06:25 PM

Even the folks who don't know a computer from a groundhog take notice of my TAM. They stop, check it out from the sides, and invariably as questions about it. Everything will eventually not be able to do that new thing you need it to, but my TAM will still look good. And keep on playing MP3s.

Most other computers are just boxes.

Except my cube. I guess I'm a sucker for attractively cased computers.

I lalso liked that standalone CD player they made in the early 90s. Someone will chime in with the name of it.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 06:34 PM

My favorite Mac of all time is the Titanium Powerbook G4.

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 24, 2002, 06:38 PM

Aw yes, the PowerCD, I have one on my desk.

They were cool, except that you need the docking station to use it (the batteries go in there)... which didn't make any sense at all.

I guess I am thinking the same thing, anything with an apple logo is cool.

And now i must go.
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 07:52 PM

Why, the <font color = blue>Cube</font>, of course! Not only is this little powerhouse an engineering marvel, it was way ahead of it's time. IMHO this was the most mis-understood product to come out of Apple. I still believe that the Cube is a precurser of things to come.
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2002, 08:05 PM

I like my LC II and LC III. They are so small! People can't understand how my iMac is so small, but the LCs were tiny!

Mark T.
Jan 24, 2002, 08:19 PM

The first Mac to use the G5! And when this pm comes out, I'll be able to get rid of my 8600/200. Should be a nice speed improvement compared to my 8600 and, I'll be able to use OS X.

- Mark

OzTiBook
Jan 24, 2002, 08:55 PM

I allways liked the 5400, the case looks neat and very Mac-like - plus it was black, which was very cool.

macwrangler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2002, 10:31 PM

I love my Pismo. Unfortunately I had an accident and it's in the shop getting a new processor. Oh well, back in another week.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2002, 11:01 PM

I flat out love my Cube, as well.

It's not only the best looking Mac I've owned, it's the most stable, also. Just a fine design. (Even if Cipher 13 doesn't like them.)

I don't have any idea of what I'd replace it with-- the Towers are too bulky and noisy for my living room, and the new iMacs look like a real pain to get into. One thing I REALLY like about the Cube is how easy it is to swap drives, and add RAM.

Maybe some day, Sonnet will come out with a dual G5 1.5 GHZ upgrade card for Cubes (Dream on, I know...)

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2002, 01:44 AM

Of the Macs I've owned, five in total, only four of them deserve to be mentioned. I'll rank them in ascending order:

4. Macintosh LC Like others, I too will always have a soft spot in my heart for my lowly LC - 16MHz 68020 (without FPU), 10MB RAM, 40MB HD, Apple 12" RGB and Apple Personal LaserWriter LS. While I had used my grandparents SE-30s and my teacher's Plus and SE, the LC was the first system I could call my own. I learned everything I could about Macs in that year, 1991, and that's when I became the Macintosh partisan. The LC lasted four years of exclusive use before we upgraded. After upgrading, the machine went into a box that was later (very regrettably) put outside into the elements for some illogical reason. My LCs in a landfill somewhere now, which is quite sad when I reflect on it. (On a more positive note, my LaserWriter LS continued to serve as a capable workhorse for many years more and lasted until 1998!)

3. Other posters have stated that there were certain machines they lusted after; I too lusted after one Mac in particular, the Quadra 650. I was truly elated when my Quadra was bought - it really was a joyus occasion. Unlike the LC, my Quadra 650 with its 33MHz 68040, 65MB of RAM and 250MB drive (stock) was nearly the most powerful Macintosh around at the time of its introduction. My Quadra only had three years of exclusive use prior to upgrading, so it had the least amount of longevity in comparison to my other machines. I knew that it was time to upgrade when newer programs that relied on the CFM-68k code module ran with poor stability. (CFM, or code fragment module, allowed 68k machines to use applications designed for the PPC and compiled for 68k.) The Quadra is still in the home, relegated to low end game machine.

2. My Power Macintosh 8600/300 is my powerhouse computer that is still going strong today as my primary desktop machine. I'm typing this on it right now. The 8600 is my first tower Mac; I really love the case, so it's going to be hard to give up. The 8600 was the first tower Apple designed for upgrades - the previous towers were outrageously difficult to deal with. The machine has four removable drive bays, counting the floppy, as well as 8 168 pin DIMM slots and three PCI slots. The 8600 really is an AV machine, containing 24 bit composite and S-Video inputs and outputs.

I've always loved this machine, although I was bothered over the OS X G3 only issue for quite sometime; I wondered at one point whether the G3 (which had just come out when I purchased the 8600) would have been a better choice. Yet, the first G3s don't run OS X very well after all, so the question became moot. The only thing truly lacking on my 8600 is graphics acceleration, which I hope to remedy soon. Since I like to see big gains in performance from each upgrade, I've dismissed any thought of upgrading to the G4 right now; there just isn't enough incentive until I become desperate enough for OS X on my desk. I believe I'm going to hold off until the G5, whenever the mythical line is unveiled. Going on four years of exclusive use, my 8600 was a great investment.

1. Finally, we come to my iBook 466 Graphite, my very own first laptop. My iBook is a great machine, and I had a feeling it was a great investment when purchasing it. The machine went without an Apple upgrade for around nine months, which illustrates that very fact. My iBook is a beautiful, powerful machine - speed, looks, battery life and ruggedness. I feel the iBook stands up well to its successors - there is no compelling feature of the new iBooks to make me upgrade at this point. It's difficult to know which machine to rank higher - my 8600 or my iBook - but I think it has to be my iBook because it's all mine, rather than the family machine. (I do have complete authority over my desktop machine, but I'm not the only person using it; that's the difference.) I'll be holding on to my iBook for quite awhile.

Now, for my non-owned favorites list:

10. Original 128k (collectors value)
9. Color Classic (compact Mac in color is neat)
8. Duo and Dock (great concept)
7. Macintosh 5400 (great compact design)
6. Pismo
5. iceBook
4. iMac G3
3. QuickSilver
2. Titanium
1. iMac G4

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Big Mac ]

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
<STRONG>Either it's the Duo 270c, which I think was smaller than the current iBook, but at that time packed an active matrix LCD with thousands of colors...
</STRONG>
Judge_Fire gets it right. Sure, the PowerBook 140 was a revolution in portable computing when it came out. Everything that has come after it has just been an evolution. But in terms of vision nothing comes close to the Duo series. Among all the great Duos, the PowerBook Duo 270c wins hands down, because it was the first to include an active matrix color screen. The Duo 270c prototype was also named after me. It's a shame I never owned one.

Among the Macs I've owned, I have liked each better than its predecessor. But a few stand out. I abondoned my Wallstreet because of its weight, and traded it in for a PowerBook 2400c, aka Comet. I have never been more attached to a piece of computer hardware, and it's the only Mac that I ever upgraded on the outside, with a green translucent Yu-Plan keyboard. At 4.1 lbs it was also the lightest Mac ever made, almost close enough to a subnotebook. Getting my 2400c, I became part of the small community of small and light Mac lovers (especially strong in Japan).

I switched to an iBook (Dual USB) when it came out in May. Even though it is 0.8 lbs heavier than my 2400c, the larger screen, 5 hour battery life, compact sturdy case and built-in AirPort make it the best Mac I have ever owned. If only I could get a Duo Dock for it, I would be in heaven!

Escher

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: escher ]
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2002, 04:08 PM

I would have to say the SE/30, the 6100, and the G4 533/DP.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 05:05 PM

I would have to say the Macintosh SE as a nice all-in-one computer, and the Macintosh G3/400 Blue and White as a nice colorful, powerful, easy to open Mac.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 06:09 PM

Well I've had a few macs in my time :-

My first was the original Mac Classic - 1MB Memory and 20Mb disc, it cost me �1035.

The second machine I bought was an LCII with colour monitor, I think it cost me about �1250.

The third machine in the lineup was a Performa 5200 that came with a lot of problems, it was the worst machine as far as reliability goes. That also cost me around �1200.

Next up was the original Bondi Blue iMac, cost �1500.

Then I got an iMac DVSE 400, again it cost around �1500.

I picked up an Indigo iBook in America on vacation, for about �1200.

And I have on order a new SuperDrive iMac, cost in the UK �1600.

My favorite is always the current machine I own and I'm really excited about my new iMac.

Loking back it is also interesting to note that in real terms computers are incredibly cheap now. Look at the spec increases, but the cost is not very different, and we earn far more now than we did then !!!
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Sam I Am
Jan 25, 2002, 06:19 PM

Definately NOT the 6500/250 heh piece of junk

i still like my IIsi...

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 06:25 PM

Mac Plus!!!!!
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jan 25, 2002, 06:33 PM

the Mac Plus that Trent Reznor used to create Pretty Hate Machine, plus any of the Mac's he used since then

i have an iBook, an iMac and a 7200 (cheers mudzilla). i love'em all. my brother has a Cube. that's a nice machine.

my dad has a Dell... 'nuff said there
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2002, 06:45 PM

My iMac 333, for its 2 years of service and abuse, and kick-ass design.

My New G4 Quicksilver, for its supreme reliability (in 9.2, none of that X crap), speed, and more kick-ass designing (just the looks, I mean one 5 1/4 bay isn't kick-ass by any means)

The TAM, sweet design, way exotic, and included a very nice sound package...what more does one need?

Hon. Mention......my old 7200/120 for being my jumping board to the Mac, plus it was quite the workhorse (I still love OS 7.6.1 to this very day). It still lives as my father's e-mail and e-bay machine and never freezes or gives him shit.

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 25, 2002, 07:12 PM

My friend's first computer was a 7200 his friend bought for him. I saw it several times about 5 years ago, thought it was a big deal, it was cool!

Stupid enough he put 9.1 on it, and it acted like a 286 on windows 95 would

Being a pc freak at the time, I got him over to PC, an emachine, man was I bad, but he wasn't the best of friends anyway. Now I use my G4 to trick him back to a new imac
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

slipjack
Senior User
Jan 25, 2002, 11:00 PM

I have to say the Pismo is pretty darn good... but my real favorite is...
the Apple IIe.

Seriously, my first computer. Ah... the years of the green video screen.. It's a wonder I can even see still.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

vanguard
Jan 26, 2002, 12:06 PM

1. G4 Titanium
2. Cube
3. New iMac
4. iBook

Ok, I'll admit the only one of these I've owned is the iBook. However, these are the machines that have generated the most personal excitement for me.

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2002, 01:59 AM

I'd have to say, in chronological order:

1. 128k Mac - where it all started
2. Twentieth Anniversary Mac - underpowered & overpriced, but WOW!
3. G4 Cube - overpriced at first, but double WOW!

I also liked that pizza box Quadras, the 610 and the 660av, and the original iMac is a classic. I suspect that new iMac will also become a classic.

Sirius Black
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2002, 03:40 AM

Hi,

Can't really pick just one ... here is my list:

1) Powerbook G4 - It is just too pretty. (Actually any Powerbook will do)
2) New iMac - Revolutionary design, Emachine will copy it in 3 months
3) Quadra - The first Mac that really makes me to think about getting one
4) Mac Plus/SE-30 - I used to do Pascal programming assignments on this

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2002, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>I flat out love my Cube, as well.

It's not only the best looking Mac I've owned, it's the most stable, also. Just a fine design. (Even if Cipher 13 doesn't like them.)

I don't have any idea of what I'd replace it with-- the Towers are too bulky and noisy for my living room, and the new iMacs look like a real pain to get into. One thing I REALLY like about the Cube is how easy it is to swap drives, and add RAM.

Maybe some day, Sonnet will come out with a dual G5 1.5 GHZ upgrade card for Cubes (Dream on, I know...)

CV</STRONG>
I love my Cube too. And I'm waiting for that upgrade card as well. C'mon Sonnet...pleeeeze???

iMacBliss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2002, 04:38 AM

The cutest Macs in the universe :

1) Color Classic. A real joy, even with (or because of) this nice and small Trinitron 12" color screen.

2) Graphite slot-loading iMac. This transparent case is a pure beauty. I've ordered the new G4 iMac but maybe I won't sell my Graphite because of its huge coolness (even if I need the money...).
Mac 512 - Mac Plus - Classic - Color Classic - iMac Bondi - iMac 400 Graphite - iMac G4 15/800 - iMac G4 17/1.25
-- A long all-in-one history --

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2002, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
<STRONG>8. PowerMac 7600--great machine, one of Apple's best. I'm running OS X on it now and it really works well. Remarkable for a 5 year old.</STRONG>
Just to let you know it's 6 years old now. well officaly in April.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2002, 06:34 AM

Some may disagree, but the fact remains that the greatest Mac of all time is, unquestionably, the Mac Plus.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2002, 03:43 PM

All the macs i have ever had, but the really cool ones were always those which I couldn't afford:

1: 20th anniversay mac
2: lombard powerbook
3: 2002 iMac !! (at least for this one it's not too late to get one)
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

aladdinsane
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2002, 05:55 AM

The good old Macintosh 512 blew my mind that that I thought I would never be as impressed with another machine. And it hold for many years until I saw the Cube, which brought be back to the Mac World after years with the dark empire.

Thunderbird
Senior User
Feb 3, 2002, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by sandman:
<STRONG>Quadro 840 AV. At the time it was the best Mac on the market. I would later come to realize it ran at 40 MHz. Back then MHz didn't matter. It served me well running System 7.6.</STRONG>
I second that nomination. My trusty old Quadra 840av served me well for seven years as my main computer. In 1993, I was impressing my friends by commanding my computer with my voice, editing my home movies, and playing CD's in an era when most Pee Cees were still running DOS or Windows 3.1. Today, that 9 year old computer is still in use every day as a web server in my basement.

superlarry
Senior User
Feb 3, 2002, 03:40 PM

favorite ever: Macintosh IIsi (ohh baby) - so incredibly stable.
Out of my other 3, i rank them best to "worst:"
B&W G3 400
G4 Cube 450 (less stable than my B&W, sorry, although loads faster)
LC (ick! great computer and all, but not after the IIsi)

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 04:11 PM

Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Macanoid
Senior User
Feb 3, 2002, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>I flat out love my Cube, as well.

CV</STRONG>
My thoughts exactly, I just LOVE the Cube. Nothing comes even close to it's elegant beauty. I truely hope that when the next generation of chips come out (say G5 ), someone will release an upgrade for this beautiful machine.

Cube users longing for a dual G4 machine should have a look here http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/c...be_Sonnet.html

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2002, 02:17 AM

IMO:
1- G4 Cube
2- TAM
3- 128K

I have a Pismo and a B&W G3, both great machines

Forum Links
Forum Rules