Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > buying decision ...

buying decision ...
jeffryscott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2009, 12:55 PM

I'm currently using a 2.16 ghz 15.4 MBP, having moved up from a 2ghz MB. I'm considering upgrading yet again to a unibody and trying to decide between the MB and the MBP. There was a noticeable difference in screen quality between my old white MB and my MBP - especially in viewing angle.

With the new unibody machines, I'd like to hear people's opinions on their choices - either MB or MBP - and general happiness with the choice, or disappointment with the choice. I'm kind of leaning toward the MB (the $400 educational difference is half the price of the new 24-inch screen) but, do like the both.

The kids are home sick, so I can't go to the store to compare side by side right now, so thought I'd ask ...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2009, 01:45 PM

you're gonna hear every argument here, as u know.
the pro has firewire and an expresscard slot, and a better screen. the macbook screen is bright and clear, but a little washed out (which can be fixed somewhat in monitor prefs).

i went with the macbook (2.4g); i wanted 'small & light'; despite no firewire (aaargh), this is my favorite mac laptop to date (2400c, 2 pismos, 2 12" powerbooks); fast, light, bright, backlit keys, and a lot less heat than my 12" powerbook.

figure your needs (ie size vs, say, firewire, etc etc) and go for it!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2009, 02:07 PM

Depends on your needs, budget, and wants.

I agree with FisherKing and that you're going to hear arguments for and against MB, MBPs and even getting a unibody MB[P]

Here's my $.02 (I own a 2.53 MBP)
I agonized over the MB vs. MBP decision when the unibody macs came out. What became the deciding factors for my choosing the MBP over the MB are the addition of FW on the MBP, a better screen (people complain the MB's screen is washed out), faster processers, more cache on the die (for the 2.53) and finally the dual GPU. I use Aperture and I wanted a machine that will last me more then 2 years. The MBP is positioned with the dual GPU to handle MY need for the next few years. I suspect that apple and other companies will be relying more and more on the GPU and the discreet GPU included in the MBP should hopefully handle the load today and tomorrow.

That's not to say the integrated GPU on the current MBs is crap, in fact I often keep my MBP on the integrated graphics, its by far much better then the intel version

So there you have it, for my needs, I found the 2.53MBP to be the best bang for your buck. If you want the dual gpu or need the FW port and/or are concerned about the washed out screen the MBP makes a good choice.
~Mike

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2009, 03:24 PM

maflyn makes some good points. BUT...if you don't do heavy video work, and don't need firewire...the macbook is a great mac. there's a profile for the screen u can download (google "jc display macbook") or you can do your own.

i do photoshop, indesign, dreamweaver on my mb, works great. my main apps are logic and reason; syncing & running both of these apps works great as well (am using the internal drive for audio).

so, for me: powerful, and small, light. the size of this (almost) makes me forget my beloved 1.5g G4 12" powerbook... the power, quiet, lack of heat, better screen, backlit keys...DO overwhelm the 12".
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

jeffryscott  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2009, 04:11 PM

all good arguments.

My favorite powerbook to date has been my 12-inch. My daughter now uses it. I would love to get an Air, but would need a good iMac to make it work and don't have the funds for two computers (nor right now the desire to maintain two in sync, etc ...).

The size is a big attraction for the MB, the lack of firewire sucks, but I can live without it. I run Aperture, etc .. and truthfully have never complained about the performance of Aperture, Photoshop, etc ... on my first MacBook so that is a non factor (besides the high end MB and low end MBP have the same processor speed).

Ultimately, I think it will come down to going to the store and just kind of making a decision ...

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by jeffryscott View Post
The size is a big attraction for the MB, the lack of firewire sucks, but I can live without it. I run Aperture, etc .. and truthfully have never complained about the performance of Aperture, Photoshop, etc ... on my first MacBook so that is a non factor (besides the high end MB and low end MBP have the same processor speed)
The form factor of the MB was reason #1 why I wanted it (aside from the price) and to be honest, I probably would be content with the MB had I chosen that over the MBP, as I put in my earlier post, the dual GPU won me over. If you're leaning towards the MB and can live w/o the firewire (I don't need the firewire port myself) then the MB will make an excellent computer for you and the family.

I also suggest you take a trip to your local apple store and check both out, and finally when I run aperture and find myself on the integrated GPU, I'm surprised that the performance doesn't suck. I'd rather not do a lot of heavy lifting/work on it but for quick work, its quite palatable.
~Mike

byeehaaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2009, 06:40 PM

depends what you're going to be using it for. but then again i have a mbp and i love it and don't really use it at full capacity. i coulda used a macbook in this recession lol
2.4ghz Unibody MBP, 32gb ipod touch 2nd gen

jeffryscott  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2009, 06:38 PM

When it came down to it, size mattered and I went for the MacBook. Smaller and lighter won out. So far, love it.

As for screen glare, in my limited use, it isn't an issue.

Used the extra savings on a 500gb drive (was going to do 7200, but those aren't readily available)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2009, 07:55 PM

Wait. Your existing MBP is a fine laptop; max out the RAM and enjoy it. Certainly do not downgrade to a MB.

Size matters all right - - less screen real estate and pixels are a huge deficit with graphics apps.

MBPs are due for new chips around the end of the year or H1 2010 at the latest.

-Allen Wicks

-------------

Edit: Whoops, I see you made your choice. That was quick.

Jemi9OD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2009, 09:04 PM

I just got my macbook last week and I couldn't be happier with it, even though I have to "share" it with the missus for the next few weeks. (She's travelling during the week, so she takes it with her.) I think you'll be happy as well, with the choice you made.

It's much nicer than constantly fiddling with my hackintosh.

jeffryscott  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Wait. Your existing MBP is a fine laptop; max out the RAM and enjoy it. Certainly do not downgrade to a MB.

Size matters all right - - less screen real estate and pixels are a huge deficit with graphics apps.

MBPs are due for new chips around the end of the year or H1 2010 at the latest.
I really liked the MBP I had, but I bought it used in November and it had some issues with battery consumption (I was already on the second battery, the original battery was well under 300 recycles and Apple wouldn't cover it, and the replacement battery was already at half life, even though I very carefully conditioned it) Looking at Apple's discussion boards, it seems several other 2.16's eat batteries, so, although it is covered by AppleCare, I didn't want to deal with it. My dealer let me just return it for full credit (I have a very good relationship with them).

As for screen real estate, when I need it, I'll look into getting the 24-inch display - that is a beauty. In the meantime, I've dealt with photoshop just fine for years on a Pismo, TI, 12-inch, white MacBook ... etc. Work supplies me with a 15-inch Powerbook G4, and maybe someday a new MBP, but, frankly, I like the smaller computers when it comes right down to it.

jogi
Feb 16, 2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jemi9OD View Post
I just got my macbook last week and I couldn't be happier with it, even though I have to "share" it with the missus for the next few weeks. (She's travelling during the week, so she takes it with her.) I think you'll be happy as well, with the choice you made.

It's much nicer than constantly fiddling with my hackintosh.
Hi,

Want to give a try to the display profiles and post your opinion?
http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...acbook-screen/
Macbook Pro Unibody 2.4Ghz

Jemi9OD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jogi View Post
Hi,

Want to give a try to the display profiles and post your opinion?
http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...acbook-screen/
I wont' be able to give those a shot until this weekend at the earliest, since the Macbook is currently travelling with my other half. I'll give them a shot this weekend, but be forewarned that I'm not very discerning when it comes to colors. I did use the JC Profile though, and that seemed to me to be a great improvement over the Color LCD profile in that things didn't appear nearly as 'washed out' as they do with the Color LCD profile.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jemi9OD View Post
I wont' be able to give those a shot until this weekend at the earliest, since the Macbook is currently travelling with my other half. I'll give them a shot this weekend, but be forewarned that I'm not very discerning when it comes to colors. I did use the JC Profile though, and that seemed to me to be a great improvement over the Color LCD profile in that things didn't appear nearly as 'washed out' as they do with the Color LCD profile.
the jc display really helps. maybe a little dark, but great contrast...

edit: this profile in the set "9C8A 2.2 Native (Spyder3) is a reasonable compromise (between the default and the 'jc display"); not as dark as the JC (altho not as deep either)...
( Last edited by fisherKing; Feb 17, 2009 at 03:46 PM. )

jogi
Feb 18, 2009, 12:01 AM

I think the profile is a bit darker as the gamma is set to 2.2 instead of 1.8 that the original profile is at.

It depends on what panel you have (you can find out by looking in Display -> Color -> select color LCD profile -> click open profile -> select line 13 (tag mmod) and look at the model number. This should indicate which one of the profiles you should use.
Macbook Pro Unibody 2.4Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules