Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sleep problem with Icebook and OSX

Sleep problem with Icebook and OSX
parkds
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2001, 08:55 PM

Hi there,
I am running OSX on a clean 1st partition on a brand new ibook dual USB. I have noticed a weird problem though and am trying to see if it has happened to anyone else and if anyone has any ideas. When ever and however the computer goes to sleep it doesn't wake up correctly. The screen will come back as normal and I can move the mouse and all, but it is as if the cunputer cannot sense where the mouse is. The dock no longer magnifies when I am over it, and I can not click on anything. But the mouse does not move. Unfort the matter is made worse because the keyboard does not do anything so I can even restart that way or anything, I am forced to do a hard restart. Anyone have any ideas n a solution to get this back to normal since this being a laptop and all it is a big issue for me. Thanks. (BTW I am usuing 10.0.4 with 384MB RAM)
doug

Stembolt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2001, 02:14 AM

The sleep problem is very likely an issue with Classic on your machine. Startup into OS X without loading Classic and put the unit to sleep. If it wakes without issue, then we know it's being caused by Classic.

I would try the upgrade to OS 9.2.1. After downloading the 80MB file, boot to your software install CD and run the updater from the hard drive.

If you try this, please post back with your results. Good luck.

--
Stembolt

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2001, 09:46 AM

Hi. I had a similar problem.

The workaround I found was to make sure the screen saver delay was set to never (turn off the screen saver).

Haven't had any problems with sleep since

parkds  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2001, 12:59 PM

Thanks for all your help. I am still having the problem though. I still need to try running osX without classic and sleeping to see if that helps, but still.....anyways, screen saver is set to never, though there is a hot corner. And I have 9.2.1 as classic. hmmmmmm....

<Aabeen>
Sep 3, 2001, 03:47 PM

I've also had trouble with waking up from sleep. I have the stock amount of ram (256 meg coming tomorrow) and I'm running OS X
and 9.2.1. My problem is I'll put it to sleep in OS X by closing the lid, and the hard drive will still be spinning. Then when I reopen the lid
nothing happens. The screen does not turn back on or anything, so I'm forced to do a hard restart.

BTW, the screensaver is set to "never," so I guess I'll try the tip of not having classic running.

I just wonder if this will be rectified when the new OSX comes out.

cheers
Aabeen

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 05:39 PM

OS X has several problems, including sleep. The iBook isn't to blame for the inability to wake from sleep without crashing. This is supposed to be remedied with 10.1, but we'll see. The recommendation to turn off the screensaver and classic will probably help though. If Apple can deliver with 10.1 I'll be incredibly happy.

Tim
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

ekserb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 08:49 PM

I've been running OS X exclusively for a few months (with Classic starting up at every login) and I have had a problem with the machine waking from sleep. I think I figured out part of the problem....

I was using the OS X icons screensaver module, and I could never get the machine to wake properly. I normally set my Energy Saver controls to never sleep the system and turn off the monitor after an hour. The screensaver kicks in after 10 minutes. For some reason, the CPU cycles that are ebing used by the screensaver would always cause the machine to have problems. For example, it would wake the monitor, but I would watch the spinning beachball (or whatever they are calling the multi-colored spinning cursor nowadays) forever until I forced a restart. Nothing else would work. Now I use the Basic screensaver (just displays the graphite Apple logo) and everything works fine ... wakes from any sleep mode without a problem. And I DO love the speedy OS X wake times. I swear this thing is ready for me before I get the screen opened all the way.

Hope that helps a little.

iBook Dual USB, 384MB, 10GB, combo drive, OS X 10.0.4
Do ... or do not. There is no try. --Yoda

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2001, 03:47 PM

I do also have sleep/wake-up problems on my iceBook...
Here is what I did to make them happen less often:

- Use the standard Basic Apple Screen Saver (only with the Apple
logo). Avoid all others.

- Be sure to run 10.0.4 (10.0.3 has issue with sleep while classic
is running)

- Generally try to avoid putting the iceBook in sleep mode when
you are playing a Quicktime movie or using softwares which
use OpenGL (like screen savers)

- Do no plug/unplug any device/cable while the iceBook is
asleep (including ethernet cable and Apple USB mouse, or
modem cable).

This will significantly improve the situation...

Now... hopefully all these issues are fixed on 10.1...
Let's pray all together

Forum Links
Forum Rules