Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Partitioning my iBook HD...

Partitioning my iBook HD...
Sander
Apr 12, 2002, 12:05 PM

Hello all,

I want to partition my 10GB iBook and I was wondering, from your experience or current setup, if you have any tips as to how many partitions, the size of each, the advantages/disadvantages, etc. The last discussion on this I believe was September of last year and I am hoping for more recent stats.

I would only be using OS 9 for QuarkXPress, which I no longer use very often...

Thanks.
Have a nice day!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2002, 02:02 PM

Well for me I only have 1 partition. I have a VERY trimmed down OS 9 System folder. It's now about 155 Megs. I only use it for those things that still need OS 9 for things tyhat still need classic to install. Other than that I don't use Classic. I'm fulltime in OS X. I have a 20 gig HD on my iBook. For 10 GIGs I would use 1 partition but that is me.

If you don't use Classic much or at all I would remove the Applications OS 9 folder and also trim some things from the system folder too. I went to http://www.macosxhints.com to help with what to trim. OS X runs pretty fast now even with 256 Megs of RAM.

Just my 2 cents
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

anna katzner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2002, 08:44 PM

oops! - sorry, didn't read yr post properly, so i don't know if the the stuff below is really useful to you. just bear in mind: it's always good to have another partition to boot from in case your main partition is fried. anna

------my original post:-----------------

if you mainly work in OS 9 maybe you'll like my solution:

3 Gig "START"-partition (system, all progs, fonts, this is where my printer spools and of course all the web-downloads go to)

5 Gig "DATA"-partition (well, this is where the work is done)

2 Gig "VRAM"-(& Emergency)-partition (i use this for the Photoshop-VRam, also i have a minimal system + some data-rescue-tools on this partition (Norton, DiskWarrior) so in case of trouble i can always boot off this partition)

hope this helps,
anna

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: anna katzner ]

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: anna katzner ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules