Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Optical Mouse for iBook (also, where's the developer CD?)

Optical Mouse for iBook (also, where's the developer CD?)
MachoManRandySavage
Jan 26, 2002, 04:57 PM

Hi there,

Does anybody have any suggestions for an optical mouse that can compliment my iBook nicely? Currently I'm looking at the logitech (with cord) optical mouse.

Additionally, I was wondering if anybody knows if the OS X developer CD came with my new iBook. I can't seem to find it anywhere.....maybe I need to go out and buy a full-blown copy of OS X? Is that what the coupon is for that comes in the box?

Thanks!

The Macho Man

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2002, 05:05 PM

I don't think the developer CD comes with OEM notebooks. I am not sure, though.

This question really belongs in the Peripherals forum. However, I'll dignify it with a response.

Logitech optical mice, with their improved optical sensors that track 800 dots per inch, are great. The MouseMan Traveler is one of the coolest mice around. However, it doesn't quite complement the iBook's design. It looks great with the TiBook or the ultra-light, Sharp notebook that's 0.7-inch thin.

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2002, 06:08 PM

Yeah, as the above poster said, you have to go and download the developer tools if you want them. No developer CD with new machines, although the installer for the developer tools was on the hard drive of my girlfriends new ibook.

MachoManRandySavage  (op)
Jan 26, 2002, 11:29 PM

I just went out and bought the cheapest logitech optical mouse I could find. After plugging it in, and trying it out, I was pleasantly surprised with the level of functionality that came with it, even though Logitech "officially" isn't supporting OS X at the moment.

I can use my scroll wheel in most applications (Office, IE) and the 2nd mouse button seems to work too. I'm definitely impressed.

The only downside is that it's a little slow when tracking -- it definitely doesn't go as fast as a real apple mouse would at its maximum setting, however I never really set my mouse to go that fast, so it's fine for me.

The Macho Man[/LIST]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2002, 03:56 AM

That's a driver issue. Logitech doesn't enable mouse acceleration, something easily enabled in the control panel.

Logitech's optical sensors are actually very good. Even the low-end mouse uses the same sensor as the high-end mouse does. What model and color do you have?

anna katzner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2002, 06:26 PM

i've got the macally iOpti jr.-mouse.
2buttons,scrollwheel and very small&light

however i'm using USBoverdrive for the driver, which to mee seems more stable than the original Macally (or Microsoft, for my imtellimouse optical) drivers.

just my 2�
a.k.

-Q-
Jan 27, 2002, 07:39 PM

I've been very pleased with the MS Intellimouse Optical. Doesn't yet have drivers for OS X but should shortly. And it's white and silver design complements the iBook nicely.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2002, 07:41 PM

I just bought the Kensington Optical Pocket Mouse with retractable usb cable from the Apple Store.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...0.10.5.1?58,39

I wanted a two button mouse with scroll wheel for my iBook, this is small and portable and I really like the way the cord is contained while not in use. It is a little on the high end, but like I said I like a clean put away. $40. You can't tell from the picture, but the whole thing is retracted, even the plug.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2002, 07:42 PM

Forgot to add that you download the drivers from Kensington's website and they have both OS9 and OSX drivers.

hobiecat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2002, 02:26 AM

While at MacWorld Expo, I checked several different optical mice and decided on the MicroMouse from Macally. I think it's great...only about 1.5" W x 3.0" L x .75" H...transparent with scroll wheel and 2 silver buttons. The visible circuit board is red so the whole mouse glows red when the mouse is moving. I think it complements the iBook design nicely.

nick h
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2002, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by slider:
<STRONG>I just bought the Kensington Optical Pocket Mouse with retractable usb cable from the Apple Store.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...0.10.5.1?58,39

I wanted a two button mouse with scroll wheel for my iBook, this is small and portable and I really like the way the cord is contained while not in use. It is a little on the high end, but like I said I like a clean put away. $40. You can't tell from the picture, but the whole thing is retracted, even the plug.</STRONG>

This is the first mouse I would recommend- the Kensington. The retractable cord is just too convienient, and it actually has colorcoded thought in the design (unlike those ugly macallys or any slackish clear/colorful mouse). The mouse also fits very nicely in your-or rather my-hand. Also, Kensington has some excellent drivers which make the mouse even more fucntional and worth your money.

I also liked the Contour Design one. It was initially painted to match the TiBook... but its is a really cool portable mouse-- VERY small, durable, and a very nice design. It comes with a very handy case as well. I may get one of these in a few months just for the fun of it.

The best thing about Logitech mice are the wireless ones... but until the battery life is longer and/or they significantly reduce the size of the transmitters, I for one am not sold on them yet.

I no longer buy any Microsoft product (at least I try not to, but they probably get away with tricking me into doing so when I'm not looking ).

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: nick h ]
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

namannik
Senior User
Jan 29, 2002, 01:17 AM

I use Logitech's Cordless Optical mouse for my iBook, and love it. My only complaints are that it took a little while to get used to a heavier mouse (because of the two AA batteries), and that it'll unexpectedly skip the cursor across the screen every once in a great while. Now that I'm used to it, the weight isn't an issue at all.

hotani
Senior User
Jan 29, 2002, 03:41 AM

I have the low end logitech, and it is great - once I put a turbocharger in...
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2002, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>The MouseMan Traveler is one of the coolest mice around. However, it doesn't quite complement the iBook's design.</STRONG>
I'll have you know that my iBook and Mouseman Traveler are pained by your heartless comment!

I happen to think they look jusht shmashing!
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2002, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by namannik:
<STRONG>I use Logitech's Cordless Optical mouse for my iBook, and love it. My only complaints are that it took a little while to get used to a heavier mouse (because of the two AA batteries), and that it'll unexpectedly skip the cursor across the screen every once in a great while. Now that I'm used to it, the weight isn't an issue at all.</STRONG>
I had problems with my Logitech Mouseman Traveler in OS X: skipping and jumping about on the screen. I had absolutely no idea what it was and drove me completely nuts until someone on the AppleInsider Forums figured it out for me. It was the 3M Precise Mousing mat that I was using. Apparently they are great for ball mice but not for optical mice. Since I got rid of the 3M Precise Mousing mat I haven't had a single skip of the mouse! I hope this helps
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

iMacfan
Senior User
Jan 31, 2002, 08:12 AM

Hi,

I have the very original intellimouse (MS), the one with just two buttons and a scroll wheel, and white plastic. I think that it is great, sturdy, hot plugs well (apart from when using the unreal engine), and I blame software for that. It is sturdy and accurate. In my opinion, Microsoft should stick to just making mice!

Dave
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 11:46 AM

I have a MS Intellimouse Explorer. It's actually a very nice optical mouse, and they even have a wireless version now.

As to the developer CD, go to http://developer.apple.com/, sign up for a free membership, log in, click on the "Download Software" link, click on "Mac OS X", then get the "December 2001 Mac OS X 10.1 Developer Tools". It's a 217.9 MB download, and a segmented version is available if you're on a slow connection. It includes the new AppleScript Studio too, which is pretty nice if you are interested in AppleScript.

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Arkham_c ]
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules