Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Using a router to block ads

Using a router to block ads
rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2010, 10:02 PM

I'm using my D-Link DIR-625 to block ads for my iPod Touch and it's working fairly well. The only trouble I'm having is that when an ad is blocked, the router puts up a page informing me that the ad can't be viewed because the ad server is blacklisted. What I'd like is for the router to show a blank page instead of this text. How would I go about doing this?

rjenkinson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 06:15 PM

I couldn't load any alternate firmware so I ended up using the router and OpenDNS to block ads. No more ads on the iPad now.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 20, 2010, 08:13 PM

The 625 has been problematic in the DD-WRT world, as some versions will accept the new firmware and others won't-and it's not easy to figure out which is which.

So how did you use OpenDNS as an ad blocker?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rjenkinson  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 12:10 AM

I had the router use the OpenDNS servers for DNS and set up my account with them to block common ad servers. The result is that now I don't see as many ads on my iPad. It's not as good as using a real ad blocker, but it's better than just blocking the ad servers with router because the router will put up a D-Link page informing you that the website is blocked. Basically, it would replace ads with orange D-Link pages.

Forum Links
Forum Rules