Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > need help organizing data on iPhone

need help organizing data on iPhone
polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2012, 07:50 PM

Hi all,
I was expecting my iPhone 3GS to come next week, but somehow it´s already here. I bought it new from Apple. Anyway, I need suggestions on where to start to organize my data : contacts, calendar, to-do list and sticky notes. The issue is this... I have all of those data on a google account (except the sticky notes)... calendar, contacts and to do lists. And... I have exactly the same (practically a mirror) on my PC Win Vista laptop at work on MS Outlook. I also have an iPod touch and iPad which syncs with Outlook and my Macbook at home syncs with Google. Back then when iCloud appeared I tried to use it using my PC laptop and it created a big mess on my iPad, iPod Touch and Macbook by duplicating everything. I fixed it back but it took me quite a while. This time around I´m cautious on which way shall I link/sync/handle that info on my iPhone... using Google, Outlook or try again using iCloud? Right now everything syncs like it should on their respective devices/accounts but I know it doesn´t "work wonderfully" like I´m dreaming it since I have to update Google and Outlook to spread all the info correctly. It would be great to have everything on iCloud, BUT how should I approach on setting everything up? What would you do?

More info:
* doesn´t look like I will get a Mac to replace my work laptop anytime soon
* I have two sources of music on iTunes: my work laptop and and old desktop PC. The old desktop have much more music and only syncs to an iPod Classic which I don´t use much... but since I´m attempting to organize everything I might as well include it on the mix.

Thanks alot in advanced and for your time.

polendo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2012, 12:26 PM

Looks like there won´t be any participation regarding this topic haha. If anyone cares I just syncd everything with Outlook and installed my apps from iTunes. Comparing the 8GB 3GS to my 32 GB iTouch.. definetly 8GB doesn´t cut it. 16 GB would be OK for my needs on a smarth phone.

andi*pandi
Mar 9, 2012, 12:28 PM

iCloud scares me and I'm avoiding all thoughts of syncing data until they force me to. Heck, my addesses are still in Palm desktop...

polendo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2012, 07:22 PM

I hear you allright. I´m going to stick with my current setup until I figure out how to synchronize everything and will do so step by step...iPod touch first in case it screws up haha.
regards,

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2012, 07:57 PM

I had my stuff synched through MobileMe before, and had zero problems transferring to iCloud.

I did and do make sure to have local backups of all contacts and calendar data, though.

polendo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2012, 12:50 PM

The key to test is to have backups. Google is great in that respect with their function on contacts to revert to x day/hour. That way if something goes wrong you can just revert everything rather quickly. My Calendar is pretty simple and I also have it backed up on file as well as my contact list on a CSV file.
One quick question.. in order to spread the initial data to iCloud it has to be done from a computer (not an iPad/iPod Touch or iPhone).. is that correct? And then the i-devices would have to turn on the iCloud function to start syncing?
My fear is that my i-devices already have data which sync from Google.. by turning iCloud on it would start syncing what they already have (my Google data) with the one of iCloud (Outlook in this case; using my PC laptop). I guess I would have to first clean up all data from my i-devices and then sync everything using iCloud? would that be a way to have everything synced?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by polendo View Post
in order to spread the initial data to iCloud it has to be done from a computer (not an iPad/iPod Touch or iPhone).. is that correct?
This is not correct.

However, I'm not sure whether Google account data will transfer over to iCloud, as those are separate accounts.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2012, 02:43 PM

I had a long chat with an Apple Genius yesterday while my MBP's bad hinge was being evaluated under warranty (screen will be replaced). It turns out iCloud is not what I perceived. Data movement is not ubiquitous.

Specifically, only photos actually shot using an iPad/iPhone camera can move over iCloud. That makes iCloud largely useless for a photographer.

The only way to move images from a Mac to a mobile is via hard-wired iTunes synch, and after being moved to the mobile device those images still cannot access the cloud.

That sux IMO. I consider the iCloud marketing to be grossly misleading. Similarly, iCloud does not replace Mobileme albums. Apple simply cancelled that capability and provides no replacement.

-Allen

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
iCloud scares me and I'm avoiding all thoughts of syncing data until they force me to. Heck, my addesses are still in Palm desktop...
I'm with you on that, I still update Palm desktop! The reason is that my Apple Address Book has been messed up several times by syncing with phone...so I keep everything in 2 places.

If there's one thing I want to keep straight, it's my contacts!

Forum Links
Forum Rules