Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > More than 4GB RAM?

More than 4GB RAM?
shmoolie
Aug 10, 2013, 01:22 PM

I have a macbook pro 15-inch Early 2008. The specs say it maxes out at 4GB (2 x 2) which I have. I've checked newegg and crucial and neither has options for increasing it. Is it possible? Any suggestions?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 10, 2013, 01:36 PM

Your notebook officially supports 4 GB, but has been tested and actually supports 6 GB. (4 + 2)

OWC RAM upgrades page

shmoolie  (op)
Aug 13, 2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Your notebook officially supports 4 GB, but has been tested and actually supports 6 GB. (4 + 2)

OWC RAM upgrades page
Hmm. 6? Is it worth the upgrade? It's too bad it cant support 8 at 4+4.

P
Aug 14, 2013, 03:58 AM

If you are currently paging out in normal work, then yes, upgrading to 6 GB is worth it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2013, 02:49 PM

You should also find out what is taking up the 4GB. I find that Firefox is a huge memory hog, so if you are using Firefox, you might be better off with Safari.

shmoolie  (op)
Aug 16, 2013, 11:42 AM

not using Firefox. Just Mail, Safari and Steam and I'd just like to see an increase in speed. I added a faster hard drive but didn't see much increase there (not SSD).

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2013, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by shmoolie View Post
not using Firefox. Just Mail, Safari and Steam and I'd just like to see an increase in speed. I added a faster hard drive but didn't see much increase there (not SSD).
Might want to consider an SSD upgrade as well, I have 2x 240GB from OWC… get the 3G version because I don't think your 2008 MBP can take advantage of the 6G version. OWC's site will also tell you what the mac ram you can put in your MPB is.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2013, 08:58 PM

Maxing out RAM is always a good thing. An SSD will help, too. Keep an eye on Woot - they tend to have really good prices on Corsair SSDs.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2013, 08:25 PM

The RAM upgrade to 6GB is a good idea. But using an SSD will give you a bigger, more noticeable, power boost.

P
Aug 19, 2013, 03:14 AM

Not really. If you're currently paging out in your normal work, then increasing RAM has the biggest benefit. If your working set fits in RAM and you don't really need more beyond more disk cache, an SSD is more effective.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2013, 10:22 PM

onto other topic, I have the exact same model... have you had the video issues withe nVidia 8600 card?

Forum Links
Forum Rules