Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Faster, Quieter Fans

Faster, Quieter Fans
Jason King
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 05:46 PM

I have a Quicksilver 867 G4 and am wondering if anyone can recommend fan replacements for the CPU and case. I would like to get something that's faster as well as quieter than what's in there now. I'm not too sure if I really want to mess with the PSU fan or not, but a recommendation on that one too would be great.

I would like to replace these fans with the eventuality of overclocking and adding 4 more high speed hard drives. I tried 1Ghz and was able to boot, but got a kernal panic everytime. My next step is to try 933Mhz, but that seems to be too hot for the fans and heat sink to handle.

also, would there be an hacks for replacing the heatsink with on that already has a fan?

Thanks in advance.

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: Jason King ]

Petter
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2002, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Jason King:
<STRONG>I have a Quicksilver 867 G4 and am wondering if anyone can recommend fan replacements for the CPU and case. I would like to get something that's faster as well as quieter than what's in there now. I'm not too sure if I really want to mess with the PSU fan or not, but a recommendation on that one too would be great.

I would like to replace these fans with the eventuality of overclocking and adding 4 more high speed hard drives. I tried 1Ghz and was able to boot, but got a kernal panic everytime. My next step is to try 933Mhz, but that seems to be too hot for the fans and heat sink to handle.

also, would there be an hacks for replacing the heatsink with on that already has a fan?

Thanks in advance.

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: Jason King ]</STRONG>

I've been looking around a lot trying to find quieter fans for my Dual 1GHz and I've found one 119 x 119 x 25 mm to use instead of the original pci-card fan.
The airflow is not as high as the original but the noice is 6-7dB lower.
Panaflo: FBA12G12L1A
noice: 30dB
I have not tried it yet though.

For processor fan I have not found anyone quiterer than the original with the same airflow - apple have one good job there.

I've not yet opened the PSU to check out that fan but I probably will as soon as Apple get there thumb out of their... errr.. pocket and fix the GF4MX flashing problem.
I dont wanna mod my mac yet bacause I dont know if i need to return it for a DOA exchange or repair.
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.

Forum Links
Forum Rules