Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Fortran (free or cheap) for Mac OSX?

Fortran (free or cheap) for Mac OSX?
stardoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2000, 12:15 AM

Do you have any idea if there is either a fortran compiler or an egcs-like multiple-language compiler available for OS X? I am most interested in finding out if there is either a free (included by default or downloadable from where?) or relatively inexpensive fortran compiler. Absoft puts out a great product that I can't afford.

While I'm beginning to learn python for much of my future programming needs, I will definitely need to continue using fortran, so any leads would be very valuable.

Thank you.

PS: Please don't ridicule my use of fortran; I do scientific programming (astronomy) to solve problems, not to make beautiful, portable products... (If I want AbsT to equal 273.1, "AbsT=273.1" does the job!) Also, I've written scores of thousands of lines of code and there are untold millions of lines of code that are in the community so that wheels don't have to be constantly recreated. And no, I'm NOT defensive. I always spill coke on my keyboards.... ;-)

persquare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2000, 04:46 AM

Hi, I needed Fortran but got away with using f2c (Fortran to C translater) instead. Download it from http://netlib.bell-labs.com

Contact me if you have trouble compiling it.

/P

persquare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2000, 04:47 AM

Hi, I needed Fortran but got away with using f2c (Fortran to C translater) instead. Download it from http://netlib.bell-labs.com

Contact me if you have trouble compiling it.

/P

stardoc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2000, 09:34 AM

Thanks persquare. I'm familiar with f2c, but have not used it extensively. Is it fairly robust or does it tend to choke sometimes? My code is perfect, of course , but some of the other code I compile can use old style tricks...

On this track though, are C compilers then either included in default OS X install, or do you have to install the developer tools? I already downloaded the big toolkit from ADC, but have been holding off on getting OS X till I find out if I'll be able to compile my progs..... If there are C compilers, and f2c is pretty solid, I'll order OS X pronto.

Thank you again

Marshall
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2000, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by stardoc:
On this track though, are C compilers then either included in default OS X install, or do you have to install the developer tools? I already downloaded the big toolkit from ADC, but have been holding off on getting OS X till I find out if I'll be able to compile my progs...
The OS X CD doesn't include the C compiler and related tools; you'll need to install the developer tools. If you've already downloaded them (the download is around 70MB) then you're all set.

persquare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2000, 11:38 AM

Hi,
I've used f2c to compile Octave (a Matlab like environment for numerical analysis, http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave) which has large chunks of Fortran code. Never choked once... (Octave still won't run, but for other reasons;-)

My setup was f2c and the tools nicked of the Darwin1.2 distribution, not the 70Mb dev tools.

/P

absmiths
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2000, 04:08 PM

If you are doing Fortran development in OSX/Darwin, you really should use g77. I have used it before with PPC Linux, but I have never encountered it on BSD. It shouldn't be hard to find.

------------------

stardoc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2000, 08:01 PM

Thank you for the f2c info and the suggestion of g77. I hadn't even thought of g77 on OS X. I'll check into it. g77 is what I use under linux so it is particularly lame of me!

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2000, 09:07 PM

I've used f2c too. It did a good job. You can even read the C code it poops out. I used it on a single file fucntion call. So it was only a simple test of it.

I bet Darwin has an fortran compiler. Hit the Darwin Dev mailing list if you need help.

persquare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2000, 01:30 PM

stardoc: any luck with g77?

stardoc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2000, 12:35 AM

Hi persquare and absmiths,
I found g77/ecgs/gcc, but I'm a bit confused as to which pieces I need to combine to build a working compiler...any suggestions? In any event, my copy of OS X is now UPS'ing its way to me x-country. Once it gets here I can begin to try to put the pieces together. Hmmm, I suppose I can try under 9.0.4 as well, no reason not to build the compiler under this mac OS first.

Also, I recall now that there is Macf2c which is, I think, a nicer interface to the usual f2c (though I have yet to actually use it). See http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~igormt/Mac_F2C.html

I can't wait for OSX...

absmiths
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2000, 03:27 PM

My brother used to use Macf2c and I believe he was very pleased with it. If I recall correctly it worked really well with CodeWarrior.

mineralomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2000, 08:05 AM

Has anyone had any luck installing g77? I have installed the apple developer tools and downloaded the source code for g77 seperately, but have no idea how to proceed. I'm a bit of a unix newbie, but I need fortran for some of the research programs I use in the lab.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Rich
What? There's an on-
switch on the printer?

stardoc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2000, 09:00 AM

I've yet to install g77. I got the AD toolkit w/ its cc compiler, but haven't started with fortran yet.

jbmelby
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2000, 09:28 AM

FWIW, I've been using Mac F2C with Code Warrior for years, and it has always worked beautifully for me.

mineralomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2000, 01:43 PM

It seems that there are many programs like f2c and g77 available for download, but once I have the files I have no idea what to do with them! Isn't there anyone out there who has managed to install this stuff who can publish a how-to tutorial for unix dummies like me?!

Anyone????

Rich
What? There's an on-
switch on the printer?

neutrino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2000, 01:57 AM

I'm still desperately waiting for a report of successfully compiled g77 for the public beta. Anyone??

Forum Links
Forum Rules