Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar With Sound Sticks

Jaguar With Sound Sticks
ntsc
Senior User
Aug 4, 2002, 02:18 PM

Hey all, as some of you may have read before i'm quite interested in buying sound sticks from Apple to use with my iBook 600 DVD. However I heard that under 10.1 that there were serious problems with USBAudio that affected mainly the iSub (stand alone) however there were some issues with the Sound Sticks reported with the Sound Sticks on Apple's website. I was wondering if anyone with the final version of Jaguar and a pair of Sound Sticks could perhaps tell me what they are like? Has Apple fixed problems with the Sticks and then the port they were in going out until the machine in restarted?
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 02:50 PM

Greetings,

I had a hell of a time with sticks in 10.1 b/c of a conflict b/w Airport and the USBAudio. I couldn't resist, so I got a beta of Jaguar and have been running my sticks flawlessly as they should be.

When you pick up your copy of 10.2, get some Soundsticks as well. I now enjoy them!
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2002, 02:50 PM

I get this problem too, but only when using airport. Its highly annoying and sometimes causes kernel panics when i unplug the sticks and plug them into the other port. Seems to cause CoreAudio to crash.

-Telusman

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 02:59 PM

I get this problem in 10.1 too - when i transfer files over airport the Audio stops working and have to reboot - good to hear it's gone in 10.2
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Quinn
Aug 4, 2002, 05:08 PM

ntsc, I have tried a number of builds since 6c48 and am glad to say that the SoundSticks now work PERFECTLY.

Go get them....

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 05:15 PM

In 9.x, 10.0 and 10.1 I would have big problems using my soundsticks with airport. I would often lose sound entirely in 9 until restart and in 10 I would have to unplug the soundsticks and plug them into the other usb port to have them work again (and the previously occupied USB port would not work until restart). About 50% of the times that I tried to unplug the soundsticks at this point I would get a kernel panic. I would happen mostly when uploading large amounts of data over airport. I then switched my connection to ethernet and have had no problems whatsoever. I haven't been able to try 10.2 to see if the problems still exist.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2002, 05:19 PM

so I guess the moral is, don't use airport

I don't and have never had any problems with my sound sticks/iSub at all. It (for some odd reason) only effected the stand alone one. Go get them, they are great!
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

ntsc  (op)
Senior User
Aug 4, 2002, 05:48 PM

Cool, that Sound Sticks work well with Jaguar. That leaves only one problem, I have to choose whether I buy the Sound Sticks or a cheap PDA

I really love having music on my comp and i'm fed up of ear phones all the time but PDA would be cool to organise all my work shifts.

Mind you I could always buy a paper diary

Thanks for the info Justin
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2002, 05:58 PM

Does the iSub work properly in Jaguar? Up to now, the iSub has sounded MUCH MUCH MUCH better in OS9 than OSX.

In OS9, when the iSub is connected, all of the bass is directed away from my iMac's internal speakers and the iSub does all of the bass reproduction. In OSX, the iSub doesn't change the sound produced by the internal speakers at all so the sound is not as crisp.

Also, in OS9, you can set the volume of the iSub separately. Up to now, in OSX, the only way to get sound out of the iSub, was to have the master volume turned way up, which is not ideal when you get sound feedback from applications (Word blasts the building every time I save).

Does Jaguar bring back any of the features that we have in OS9??

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2002, 06:18 PM

I haven't had a single problem to date with either 10.1 or 10.2 (i'm currently running 6c115).... I got my soundsticks about a year ago...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2002, 10:16 PM

No problem here, they are a great investment...I HIGHLY recommend them.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Aug 5, 2002, 04:12 PM

Soundsticks work great on my Blueberry iBook with 10.1.5. Nevertheless, I have one problem: whenever I unplug the soundsticks and plug them back again every app that was open prior to disconnection sounds and chimes through the internal speaker. In addition, volume keys affect internal speakers only but NOT the Soundsticks and previews in the Finder sound through the internal speakers. Only apps opened after reconnection play through the harman/kardon hardware. The only way to regain absolute playback and volume keys control over the Soundsticks is to log out and back in or restart the Finder. In OS 9, unplugging and plugging would imply a short delay until the sound hardware was recognized: after that EVERYTHING would play through it.
Does anyone know if Jaguar corrects the current weird sound hardware behavior?

Thanks a lot.

Petter
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2002, 07:19 PM

6C115 does direct the bass from Cube speakers and to the iSub but the iSub does not sound at all...
So I loose the bass instead!
But I can no connect/disconnect the iSub without a Kernal Panic though if I do the same with the original Cube speakers my USB gets lost and I loose the keyboard and mouse instantly... only way to solve it seem to be a forced restart!

USBAudioIO still sux!
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2002, 07:23 PM

My soundsticks have worked 100% since OSX 10.0.

It was the stand alone iSub that had problems.

I also tested 10.2 and they work fine.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules