Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help! RAID appears to be broken...can I reconnect them?

Help! RAID appears to be broken...can I reconnect them?
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2007, 10:26 AM

Using OS X software solution. Got out of the shower yesterday and heard the fans on my tower SCREAMING loud and had an error message something to the effect of 'Push and hold the power button down until the system shuts down'. Did that, now it won't boot. I get to the screen with the lines that go in a circle but never gets to the boot screen.

Booted with Recovery/Diag DVD. Disk utility sees both drives (2, 250GB SATA) but all options for Repair Permissions and Fix/Repair disk are greyed out. I think I normally also see one larger disk (the RAID, I think it's 465 GB) but it's not there. Ran Diagnostics and everything passed.

Boot while holding Option. Given 4 choices - Recovery DVD, Disk 1, Disk 2, Network boot. Neither Disk 1 or 2 have an OS because they are RAIDed together (right?).

So it's looking like format and start over unless there is some command line command that can possibly fix this. If not, is there a way to recover any files? I'm really just looking for my Entourage database for several emails that came in the last couple of days.

And my new/used iBook of 2 months just died two weeks ago.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2007, 06:39 PM

RAID0? You're screwed.

This is that whole "more than doubles the chance of failure" I've been talking about in so many posts lately.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
RAID0? You're screwed.

This is that whole "more than doubles the chance of failure" I've been talking about in so many posts lately.
Any ideas on data recovery? Without sending the drive to drivesavers that is. I'm only looking for one file. I know I'm screwed, luckily I have most everything backed up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules